Black Curtoms

Steve Edgar

seen a post from someone wanting Symphonics "Guilty" on Curtom, and got me wondering bout the label's early releases. Regarding Symphonics record often wondered if it was the Burke family (5 Stairsteps)

It's one of only three I've managed to get on black Curtom along with Winstons "Aint Nothing Like A Little Lovin"/"Need A Replacement" and June Conquest's "What's This I see" all fantastic records. Was told once that there's only 3three black Curtom's but looking at the numbering, June Conquest's 8543 Symphonics 8544 and Winston's 8546, so thort there must av been an 8545 somewhere? (strange numbering scheme as well??)

Anyone know if there's anymore "black Curtom's"?

I'm sure June Conquest is the first release, coz the matrix number is CT68-001

With these three alone, what a way for the Great Curtis Mayfield to kick off his new label in 1968 thumbup.gif

steve

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

seen a post from someone wanting Symphonics "Guilty" on Curtom, and got me wondering bout the label's early releases. Regarding Symphonics record often wondered if it was the Burke family (5 Stairsteps)

It's one of only three I've managed to get on black Curtom along with Winstons "Aint Nothing Like A Little Lovin"/"Need A Replacement" and June Conquest's "What's This I see" all fantastic records. Was told once that there's only 3three black Curtom's but looking at the numbering, June Conquest's 8543 Symphonics 8544 and Winston's 8546, so thort there must av been an 8545 somewhere? (strange numbering scheme as well??)

Anyone know if there's anymore "black Curtom's"?

I'm sure June Conquest is the first release, coz the matrix number is CT68-001

With these three alone, what a way for the Great Curtis Mayfield to kick off his new label in 1968 :wave:

steve

Those 3 are the only black ones. Eddie Thomas and Curtis owned the label. I think that 8545 is an unreleased delfonics cut. The delfonics were supposed to be on curtom and I heard some story about how Marv Stuart offended them by making a joke about eating pork or something (they were muslim). This is all gossip of course... I don't know if it was supposed to be the 8545 # but I DO know that they actually recorded a record (the people who wrote it tell me they have a recording of it somewhere). Either way, 8545 is definitely unreleased. Also, supposedly they were going to try to get the Jackson 5 before Motown but they didn't because they already had a kiddie group.

Social source share

Those 3 are the only black ones. Eddie Thomas and Curtis owned the label. I think that 8545 is an unreleased delfonics cut. The delfonics were supposed to be on curtom and I heard some story about how Marv Stuart offended them by making a joke about eating pork or something (they were muslim). This is all gossip of course... I don't know if it was supposed to be the 8545 # but I DO know that they actually recorded a record (the people who wrote it tell me they have a recording of it somewhere). Either way, 8545 is definitely unreleased. Also, supposedly they were going to try to get the Jackson 5 before Motown but they didn't because they already had a kiddie group.

Thanx for that boba, interesting stuff there! Delfonics under Curtis's wing instead of Thom Bell's!! now there's a thort!

(still a strange numbering scheme tho! :wave: )

steve

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert