The Ripples

Steve Plumb

Ey up folks

Just got a record on the 'red' Apache label (same one as James Phelps and just a couple of numbers away from it!) by The Ripples - Cowgirls to boys/Only time will tell

Two very nice sweet/group soul songs (particularly the B side). The top side is the Gamble/Huff song with the title altered cos it's a femme group!

I guess it must be about '69/'70?

Not found much info about the group and don't think i've ever seen the 45 before?

Has anyone any more info they can add?

btw I haven't recorded or scanned it yet so i can't post a clip up at this moment!

PLMK

Steve

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Ey up folks

Just got a record on the 'red' Apache label (same one as James Phelps and just a couple of numbers away from it!) by The Ripples - Cowgirls to boys/Only time will tell

Two very nice sweet/group soul songs (particularly the B side). The top side is the Gamble/Huff song with the title altered cos it's a femme group!

Not found much info about the group and don't think i've ever seen the 45 before?

btw I haven't recorded or scanned it yet so i can't post a clip up at this moment!

PLMK

Steve

this turns up in Chicago, I think it got a little radio play

Social source share

Its at least from 1971 as it follows the Loletta Holloway release "Raindow '71" (#2004) and the James Phelps (#2007). nothing known on the group though, another single/debut release only to sink without trace???????

Defo the later Apache label design out of Chicago rather than the other 2 earlier Apache labels out of Florida and Brooklyn NY

THE MAN IN BLACK

Social source share

Steve

Have not the time to check on group LINKS

but try the following

Ripples on Bond label

Ripple on GRC and salsoul (i think0

and more nearer might be Ripples on Steeltown but not 100% but there might be a link with one or all as its an odd group title.

THE MAN IN BLACK

Social source share

Steve

Have not the time to check on group LINKS

but try the following

Ripples on Bond label

Ripple on GRC and salsoul (i think0

and more nearer might be Ripples on Steeltown but not 100% but there might be a link with one or all as its an odd group title.

THE MAN IN BLACK

The group has NO connection to the Ripples and Waves on steeltown, which was a Gary band consisting of a bunch of guys (but who were NOT the Jackson 5). Obviously no connection to the ripples on salsoul, which were also a bunch of guys.

Social source share

Its at least from 1971 as it follows the Loletta Holloway release "Raindow '71" (#2004) and the James Phelps (#2007). nothing known on the group though, another single/debut release only to sink without trace???????

Defo the later Apache label design out of Chicago rather than the other 2 earlier Apache labels out of Florida and Brooklyn NY

THE MAN IN BLACK

It doesn't follow the James Phelps either, as it has an earlier number.

Social source share

The Ripples is 2005 i think so following the LH realease it has to be 1971 at the earliest surely? and 2 in front of the JP release which isnnt that later for date i would imagine. Just trying to help Steve out with a date????

THE MAN IN BLACK

I agree with you on what you are saying about the date. It just sounded like you were saying it came out after the James Phelps and I was pointing out it had an earlier release number. Thanks.

Social source share

The killer side is "Only Time Will Tell" mixed group with girl lead, then male vocal answering 1/2 way through. Wrote by K. Wright & C. Turner. Produced by Floyd Smith, Richard Tufo, and a "Chapman" (not Sean)

One of the finest soul records I've heard in quite some time.. Love it to bits.

I'll put it up on R-O-T-R later in the week SCAN & sound clip and add the link on here.

Phone # on the label is 312 331 7700 ... you never know.

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Nice one John - saved me a job!

btw How often have you ever come across it on yer travels?

Cheers

Steve

My first copy ever, but I don't get out much these days though..walk the dogs, drink wine, watch Match of the Day, fall asleep..not a good life style for record finding.

It's very rare over here in old blighty, but Chicago Bob tells me he's had a copy or two. But he's just as honest, to say he's never found a James Phelps.

Just goes to show how those "Brit vinyl hoovers" just picked up all the dance soul 45s, years ago. I think this may have been passed over 'cause it's slow.

But hey, what a tune! Does anyone else like it as much as me?

Does Steve G. have a copy? ....I think this is right up his street.

Social source share

My first copy ever, but I don't get out much these days though..walk the dogs, drink wine, watch Match of the Day, fall asleep..not a good life style for record finding.

It's very rare over here in old blighty, but Chicago Bob tells me he's had a copy or two. But he's just as honest, to say he's never found a James Phelps.

Just goes to show how those "Brit vinyl hoovers" just picked up all the dance soul 45s, years ago. I think this may have been passed over 'cause it's slow.

But hey, what a tune! Does anyone else like it as much as me?

Does Steve G. have a copy? ....I think this is right up his street.

I've seen this on a WHITE LABEL once. THAT is rare.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Ey up folks

PLMK

Steve

Nice sweet soul Stevie! I have one.

Steve G

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert