The Detroit Soul

Guest Bearsy

The Detroit Soul - All of my life, was this booted and if so what to look out for, also price and availabilty please

i know i should get myself the bootleg guide so if anyone has one for sale or knows where i can get one :thumbsup:

Bearsy

Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Dunno about the boot mate but I think Sean Chapman had one at Luton - sixty quid ish ..

A fair bit cheaper than i thought it would be then, cheers Ian i might just get myself a copy :thumbsup:

Bearsy

Social source share

The Detroit Soul - All of my life, was this booted and if so what to look out for, also price and availabilty please

i know i should get myself the bootleg guide so if anyone has one for sale or knows where i can get one :thumbsup:

Bearsy

Originals have 'Mastered by Frankfort & Wayne' stamped in the run out of the A side (only)

Social source share

Bearsy

The boots are really good! I have one and it is a good quality repro.

Original has the 'Frankford & Wayne' stamp in the run-out grooves.

Social source share

The boots are really good! I have one and it is a good quality repro.

Original has the 'Frankford & Wayne' stamp in the run-out grooves.

many thanks, i shall defo opt for an original if anyone has one :thumbsup:

Social source share

Their other one on Music Town is good too :thumbsup: 'Does Your Mind Go Wild'...great northern.

Gotta say I've never been able to get into this one. Bought from Mr M in the 70's for £2 or something, but....it's not quite there for me.

All of my life though is a great record - even if they are hippies :thumbsup: .

Social source share

Gotta say I've never been able to get into this one. Bought from Mr M in the 70's for £2 or something, but....it's not quite there for me.

All of my life though is a great record - even if they are hippies :thumbsup: .

I think you may have, bought that of me Steve, I had quantity on both titles, I got them from Gary King in New Haven, Conn in 1977. They were a local band. The "Does Your Mind Go Wild" was "unknown" @ the time and has proved to be a 100 times rarer than "All Of My Life" although at the time i had about equal quantities.

Edited by john manship
Social source share

The (first?) boot had Detroit Execs "Cool off" on t'other side...

That boot was done by 2 people from Wolverhampton who are still on the scene. They were originally sold through Ruby Red records. Ruby Red closed down about 3 years ago and the owner found about 200 copies in the basement, so you can guarantee that they will appear very regularly on ebay. Sound quality is a bit quiet. (The same people also did Jeanette Williams - All Of A Sudden)

Social source share

The (first?) boot had Detroit Execs "Cool off" on t'other side...

The first press was the counterfeit, this was done by Colony Records, Nottm. It was an exact replica with YELLOW label looking just like the original, except no Frankford & Wayne stamp. This was actually sold as an "ORIGINAL" for an original price.

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Taliking about price - One went on Ebay afew weeks ago for £255.00 WOW!

Just sold a MINT- copy last week for £100, I must get up to speed..

Edited by john manship
Social source share

From a discussion waaaaay back in June 2003 between us chaps over on RareSoulForum.co.uk. One member had been talking with Bart Mazzarella, the original bass player:

Detroit Soul began in New Britain CT in early 1966, formed by a bunch of high school kids...all had played in previous groups...Bart started playing with Dave, Joey,and Skip at the age of 13 in a band called the High Tones.

The original Detroit Soul lineup:

Bart Mazzarlella: bass guitar

Joey Verillo: Sax

Peter Villano: Hammond B-3 Organ

Skip Blankenburg : Trumpet

Angelo Mariani :trumpet

Ronnie Carruba: drums

Bart notes that the group originally had three black singers from Waterbury CT that billed themselves as the Connoisseurs...initial gigs had them as the top billing, with backing by Detroit Soul, making people think an actual group from Detroit was providing the soul beat!

The Connoisseurs eventually dissolved, then Detroit Soul incorporated front-man/lead singer Sal Lenares, who had just left his previous group. Most gigs were Battle Of The Band type events at the local spots in New Britain, as well as Bristol and Hartford, CT. One memorable Battle of the Bands had them beat out CT's top group, The Wildweeds. This brought them to the attention of WPOP program director and booking agent Bob Paiva, who got Detroit Soul to perfrom on Hartford Avenue at Sound View Beach, a real popular summer spot back then (1967). Bob encouraged the group to record an original tune, so Pete and Sal put their heads together for "All Of My Life", recorded at Syncron Studios in Wallingford, CT in the late summer months of 1967. The record was released on the Music Town label, based in Hartford, and climbed near the top 10 in the Hartford area in October 1967, also gaining airplay down in New Haven (#31 peak position out of the top 60).

Bart noted, "We first heard "All of my life" on record for the first time at our manager's pizza shop in Southington on his juke box...what a thrill! WPOP's PD Bob Paiva played it in regular rotation and we were on our way. Our experience was a lot like the movie ('That thing you do'). Soon we were the opening act for nationally known bands and even went on the road throughout New England and New York to play a number of venues to promote the record, which became a turntable hit. Our friends said they even heard it when they served in Europe and in Vietnam!"

Bart went away to college shortly afterwards, and Dave Calcagni replaced him on bass, as heard on the follow-up 45, "Does Your Mind Go Wild" in the spring of 1968. But due to the draft and college, the band split up for good later that year. Some of the members went on to play locally in a rock /soul type band called 'Kangaroo' (no recordings). Two of the members are now deceased: Angelo (killed in action in Vietnam) and Skip (1999).

==============

'All of my life' is one of my fave Northern tracks of all time. A friend of mine even has a picture of the record label tattooed on his arm! It reminds me of the Yate nighters and Wheelwrights soul nights, where Dave Thorley used to push it. I recall at the time also buying a copy of 'DYMGW' on the strength of 'AOML' (probably from JM!), but although it is OK, is is not essential...and certainly not in the same league at 'AOML'.

:lol:

Social source share

Real. End price:GBP 67 End date: 2006-09-23

120032711461.jpg

57d1_2.JPG

Boot (on Ebay at the minute - Item number: 190172903993).

Thanks Ian, its so much better actually seeing the difference :lol:

Social source share

From a discussion waaaaay back in June 2003 between us chaps over on RareSoulForum.co.uk. One member had been talking with Bart Mazzarella, the original bass player:

Detroit Soul began in New Britain CT in early 1966, formed by a bunch of high school kids...all had played in previous groups...Bart started playing with Dave, Joey,and Skip at the age of 13 in a band called the High Tones.

Bart notes that the group originally had three black singers from Waterbury CT that billed themselves as the Connoisseurs...initial gigs had them as the top billing, with backing by Detroit Soul, making people think an actual group from Detroit was providing the soul beat!

The Connoisseurs eventually dissolved, then Detroit Soul incorporated front-man/lead singer Sal Lenares, who had just left his previous group. Most gigs were Battle Of The Band type events at the local spots in New Britain, as well as Bristol and Hartford, CT. One memorable Battle of the Bands had them beat out CT's top group, The Wildweeds. This brought them to the attention of WPOP program director and booking agent Bob Paiva, who got Detroit Soul to perfrom on Hartford Avenue at Sound View Beach, a real popular summer spot back then (1967). Bob encouraged the group to record an original tune, so Pete and Sal put their heads together for "All Of My Life", recorded at Syncron Studios in Wallingford, CT in the late summer months of 1967. The record was released on the Music Town label, based in Hartford, and climbed near the top 10 in the Hartford area in October 1967, also gaining airplay down in New Haven (#31 peak position out of the top 60).

Bart noted, "We first heard "All of my life" on record for the first time at our manager's pizza shop in Southington on his juke box...what a thrill! WPOP's PD Bob Paiva played it in regular rotation and we were on our way. Our experience was a lot like the movie ('That thing you do'). Soon we were the opening act for nationally known bands and even went on the road throughout New England and New York to play a number of venues to promote the record, which became a turntable hit. Our friends said they even heard it when they served in Europe and in Vietnam!"

Bart went away to college shortly afterwards, and Dave Calcagni replaced him on bass, as heard on the follow-up 45, "Does Your Mind Go Wild" in the spring of 1968. But due to the draft and college, the band split up for good later that year. Some of the members went on to play locally in a rock /soul type band called 'Kangaroo' (no recordings). Two of the members are now deceased: Angelo (killed in action in Vietnam) and Skip (1999).

Great stuff!

Social source share

==============

'All of my life' is one of my fave Northern tracks of all time. A friend of mine even has a picture of the record label tattooed on his arm! It reminds me of the Yate nighters and Wheelwrights soul nights, where Dave Thorley used to push it. I recall at the time also buying a copy of 'DYMGW' on the strength of 'AOML' (probably from JM!), but although it is OK, is is not essential...and certainly not in the same league at 'AOML'.

superb, i love reading stuff like that, thanks Flynny :lol:

Social source share

Great stuff!

New Britain then, NOT New Haven.. knew is was something "NEW"

Just dug in my files. My info is and slightly different.

Lead singer: Sal Lenares formerly of The Soobes. Bill Durso, Angelo Mariani P. Valano (Villano) & T. Wright? obviously the group must have had quite a few personnel changes.

All Of My Life + Does Your Mind Go Wild was recorded at Sycron Studios, Wallingford, Conn

Release on Music Town label owned by Ed Read a DJ at New Haven radio station WAVZ

After the group split Bill Durso joined US69 who recorded on Buddah.

So the label was New Haven based, the group was New Britain based as pointed out earlier.

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert