Fashion & ML

Soulsmith

Having a chat at a do recently regarding Major Lance........you don't often hear him played out too much these days.

Was advised that his sound is no longer fashionable.

Appreciate the scene is always evolving (albeit very slowly!) but does the above statement hold true for quality uptempo soul like Major Lance?

Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

people just dont Appreciate this kind of stuff.major lance did some fantastic 60s tunes.I still love playing my major lance 45s except you dont me no more,that is a bit out and over played.The rest of his stuff is never played out i dont think.

Edited by JMYTG
Social source share

You Don't Want Me No More was played at the TOS reunion/PTP's birthday do on Saturday. But you don't hear ML much these days do you? Similarly the only Impressions track that seems to be played at NS do's is You've Been Cheating. At Modern/Crossover you occasionally hear I'll Always Be Here (I've played that) and Wherever You Leadeth (think that's the right title).

Some of Major's old American hits like Monkey Time would be great for dancing at a Northern night, but maybe they are too well known; same for some of the Impressions tracks as well.

Perish the thought of playing something not totally obscure, lol.

Social source share

if its getting to the point where its about whats in and out of fashion then we all might as well jack it in.its bad enough having folk bang on about tunes that the "BIG" dj's are playing and everyone who collects 45s have got to have it :ohmy: and now we have soul thats not in fashion,what a load of old b££$ks that what i say

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

Just play me some good tunes and I'll dance....

Major Lance remains a favourite and i don't give a toss what anyone else thinks about him.

Social source share

Guest soul99 easylay

Having a chat at a do recently regarding Major Lance........you don't often hear him played out too much these days.

Appreciate the scene is always evolving (albeit very slowly!) but does the above statement hold true for quality uptempo soul like Major Lance?

Whoever decided that it aint "fashionable" to play Major Lance needs their head removing from their arse - since when has the NS scene been about fashion :lol: - I always thought it was about the music huh.gif

I suppose if Major Lance is out then it's no longer fashionable to play Jackie Wilson, Gene Chandler or The Showmen?

Bunch of arse if you ask me :yes:

Social source share

BOLLOCKS TO FICKLE TRENDS ON THE NORTHERN SOUL SCENE /THE SCENE IN MY RECORD ROOM PLAYS ALL OF HIS STUFF RELENTLESSLY FROM THE EARLY SIXTIES TO ALL THEM INCREDIBLE SEVENTIES CUTS!

BAZ A

COULDN'T AGREE MORE WITH YOU ON THIS BAZ, WHAT A LOAD OF BOLX. NEXT THING THE NORTHERN SCENE WILL BE TELLING US IT IS FASHIONABLE TO PLAY WOMACK RECORDS :wicked:

THE BULMEISTER :thumbup:

Social source share

so which arse gave the advice

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

INVESTIGATE---enough said !!

Excellent call... and one of the many reasons I love his stuff. As soon as that starts you know its a winner and it just builds from there. I suspect if I ever sat down an worked out list of my favourite NS tracks, that would be somewhere in the top ten. Some records get tired very quickly but that is one that I can listen to endlessly.

Social source share

Major Lance is THE King of Nothern as far as I'm concerned. He was and still is the sweetest soul singer on he scene. Investigate does it for me as well... MAJOR, YOU'LL REMAIN IN "FASHION" FOR EVER.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert