Hissing

Guest mark shepherd

Guest mark shepherd

Excuse my ignorance here,

but why do some records hiss at the start ?

how does it happen?

can it be removed ?

i think the terminology is cue burn ?

thanks, shep :lol:

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

how does it happen?

can it be removed ?

thanks, shep :D

Repeated moving of (usually bad) stylus back and forth at the start of a record to find where the music comes in, thus aiding blending of music and avoiding long, silent gaps between records. Usually inflicted on styrene records which are prone to 'cue-burn' though it can happen to vinyl too if the record has been cued repeatedly over a long period of time, usually again with bad needles.

There probably is no cure and in some cases the entire record plays with a hiss as the dj has cut the burn further and further into the record to find the cue point, to the point where the only place that doesn't hiss is the run out. :lol:

Kinda why your heart sinks when you open a package and a styrene record is sitting there looking back at you.

Edited by J-Brew
Social source share

Guest mark shepherd

maybe thats why DJ,s talk between records, so that they can start the record from the run in and stop talking when the music starts,thus avoinding cue burn

here,s a tip shut up and play the records, id rather listen to cue burn :lol:

Social source share

how does it happen?

can it be removed ?

thanks, shep :thumbup:

Terminology spot on shep

Two main reasons for cue burn are :-

Backspin - where a DJ finds the start of the record and then backspins half a turn or whatever for a perfect timed start. Over time the constant forward/reverse motion 'digs' out the vinyl/styrene from the bottom of the play groove. Styrene is more susceptable to this as it is harder and therefore more brittle.

Modern day cartridges/stilii have the angle of the stylus cut parrallel front to rear so a correctly set up and weighted tone arm should have minimal effect on cue burn.

Unfortunately many promoters/organisers(and no disrespect intended) are pretty clueless regarding setting up of the decks. I have had some very rare records ruined as testament to this! How many of you know the tracking weight/tracking force for your particular type of cartridge? How often do you check this?

Permanent installations are normally pretty reliable once set correctly but for those of us who hump gear in and out on a regular basis, the tone arm should be weight/force checked on every set up.

Regular replacement of the stylus is also pretty important, at one particular event - long running too - I asked the organiser when he last changed his - 'never had to these are brilliant' was the reply.

Second Reason is incorrect angle of stylus tip resulting in one side of the groove being worn as the stylus point hits the wall of the groove rather than the bottom.

Unfortunately once cue/needle burn has occured, there is very little option but to live with it.

Golden rules are

1. Dont backspin your rare treasures!

2. Dont be afraid to ask the promoter/organiser about the equipment - again if in doubt dont play youre rarest pieces!

As a rule of thumb - if a tone arm has a penny taped to the cartridge head - walk away :lol:

Best

M. :D

Social source share

Unfortunately many promoters/organisers(and no disrespect intended) are pretty clueless regarding setting up of the decks. I have had some very rare records ruined as testament to this! How many of you know the tracking weight/tracking force for your particular type of cartridge? How often do you check this?

Permanent installations are normally pretty reliable once set correctly but for those of us who hump gear in and out on a regular basis, the tone arm should be weight/force checked on every set up.

Regular replacement of the stylus is also pretty important, at one particular event - long running too - I asked the organiser when he last changed his - 'never had to these are brilliant' was the reply.

Second Reason is incorrect angle of stylus tip resulting in one side of the groove being worn as the stylus point hits the wall of the groove rather than the bottom.

I always bring my own headshell/Stylus.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert