Bbc North West News Tonigh

Brav

Its about Duffy and the revival of the Northern Scene. Its on at 6:30 tonight. Dont they know we have'nt gone away.

One Thing I Had Said To Me By My Mate's Daughter Was That She Had Noticed That When She Was Out Clubbing, That There Was Quite a Few Blokes & Girls That Were Now Trying To Dance With There Feet Instead of There Hands :lol: Which Shows That They Must Have Taken Notice of The Dancers on Duffy's Mercy Video

Jon Buck

Social source share

• Replies 103
  • Views 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I agree with all of the above.

I'm all for younger blood getting into the scene and I like to see new faces out and about.

What's this about dance classes? That's very contrived and artificial. Dont agree with that at all and like Kenny said. What is Northern Soul dancing? Individuals have different styles.

However, I am big on people respecting the etiquette of the Northern Scene and cant abide piss-takers or people dancing with a drink in their hands on the floor. I have a few mates curious about the Northern scene who I brought to events in Dublin but they always respected the etiquette and never took the piss.

I have mixed feelings on the Duffy phenomenon. Ive only heard Mercy and its ok but not a patch on the original Soul out there in my opinion. If it gets a few people genuinely into rare soul then thats good. The scene needs young blood and Ive been to a few nigthers down the 100 club during the last year with genuine young soulies who really added to the atmosphere. However, I dread that it might lead to people who just get into the latest fad heading to allnighters and acting the bollox for a month or two and pissing genuine punters off.

Im a tad cynical about too much media exposure though. I like the subterranean nature of the scene. Like I said Im all in to people getting into it but only if they respect the scene. People have put a lot of time, effort, love and money into following this great scene of ours. Try growing up in the west of Ireland and being into Northern Soul.

Anyway I reckon a few folk will get into the scene proper on the back of Duffy, Winehouse etc (a good thing) and a few piss takers will be around for a while and then it will just go back to those who genuinely love Soul attending events buying records etc.

Anyway we all need to lighten up a little. Mountains out of molehills springs to mind. In a year the latest wave of media attention will have disappeared and it will be the same old farts like myself and a few welcome genuine new faces on the scene.

Same old farts and a few new faces.... Thats gonna be the name of my next club night for sure... :lol::lol:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Wouldn't knock anyone getting into our scene, but on the coat tails of Duffy "Northern Soul dancing lessons" are being offered at the sort of places that previously did line dancing. This is taking the piss and degrading a cool scene and your local soul do will have a load of twats doing the hokey cokey on the floor with no intresst in the scene I dispair.

is that you Kimbo Parker???? Mark Rubenzer

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert