Shirley Combs

Just picked up a copy of this great ballad. Nautral Four released their version on ABC and Boola-Boola, they are the same cut on both press' if I recall.

The Shirley Combs is on Lisa records and arranged by Willie Hoskins, I'm thinking its probably the Natural Four backing her.

Anyone have info on the Label, or Shirley herself

cheers :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Just picked up a copy of this great ballad. Nautral Four released their version on ABC and Boola-Boola, they are the same cut on both press' if I recall.

The Shirley Combs is on Lisa records and arranged by Willie Hoskins, I'm thinking its probably the Natural Four backing her.

I've had that record, it's a nice one. Pretty hard to come by from what I can tell. I actually liked the flip better, This Road Is Getting Hard or something similar. I don't have much info but can tell you that she is the sister of Dorothy Morrison, whose maiden name is Combs. There is a local Oakland gospel 45 from around the same time from the Combs Family, which features Dorothy on lead on one side. Not sure if Shirley is on that record or not. Justin Torres probably has more details to share...

Social source share

Willie Hoskins just took the natural four backing track and put Shirley's vocals on it. In my interview Chris James of the natural four says that they didn't know anything about it at the time.

Social source share

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I believe the Boola-Boola version of I Thought You Were Mine is different than the ABC one. I've had both and I think the ABC version is a bit faster. I could be wrong though.

the abc version is faster

Social source share

Willie Hoskins just took the natural four backing track and put Shirley's vocals on it. In my interview Chris James of the natural four says that they didn't know anything about it at the time.

The Natural Four is definitley a different backing track to the Shirley Combs.

Social source share

Well either it's not the natural four on backup OR they recorded it and didn't remember because Chris James says in the interview that they didn't know about it. The interview is here:

www.sittinginthepark.com/interviews.html

Social source share

I've got Shirley Combs, and it's the same backing track as Natural Four, which I also have on Boola-Boola, and ABC....also agree that the flip is much the better side :thumbsup: . I'm sure I've posted one or both sides on the Sweet & Deep thread.

Social source share

I've got Shirley Combs, and it's the same backing track as Natural Four, which I also have on Boola-Boola, and ABC....also agree that the flip is much the better side :thumbsup: . I'm sure I've posted one or both sides on the Sweet & Deep thread.

yeah, I have both records too, I didn't want to dig them out to compare either if someone says they are sure they are different and just played them...

re: the shirley combs, it's not super-rare or valuable, I see the value vary a lot, anywhere from $20-$100 depending on who wants it. It doesn't come up for sale a lot though.

Social source share

well I'm confused and wish I could upload them both because unless my housemate and I have both finally cracked, when we played them back to back this morning... they were different :ohmy:

Social source share

I don't have much info but can tell you that she is the sister of Dorothy Morrison, whose maiden name is Combs. There is a local Oakland gospel 45 from around the same time from the Combs Family, which features Dorothy on lead on one side.

thanks for this info Kid :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest jinx74

willie put shirley in the studio and just recorded her vocals over the original music. willie and shirleys husband (at the time) were pals and got her in the studio to cut a 45 cause shirley was trying to record again. they only pressed a couple hundred copies and it didnt sell well nor did it get any air time so she just gave up trying to be a singer if i remember correctly.

outside of the combs family 45 on dove (which is a nice religious piece) the 45 she did on Lisa are the only recordings she did. like jesse said her sister is Dorothy Morrison (Combs).

Social source share

willie put shirley in the studio and just recorded her vocals over the original music. willie and shirleys husband (at the time) were pals and got her in the studio to cut a 45 cause shirley was trying to record again. they only pressed a couple hundred copies and it didnt sell well nor did it get any air time so she just gave up trying to be a singer if i remember correctly.

outside of the combs family 45 on dove (which is a nice religious piece) the 45 she did on Lisa are the only recordings she did. like jesse said her sister is Dorothy Morrison (Combs).

thanks Justin.

What about other Lisa releases? are there many, this is the 1st one

Social source share

well I'm confused and wish I could upload them both because unless my housemate and I have both finally cracked, when we played them back to back this morning... they were different :thumbup:

Agreed , vocals are deffo totally different.

Would really like to know the history on this.

Social source share

Guest jinx74

thanks Justin.

What about other Lisa releases? are there many, this is the 1st one

shirleys was the only release on the label

Social source share

• 11 years later...
On 03/04/2008 at 05:19, kidinquisitive said:

I've had that record, it's a nice one. Pretty hard to come by from what I can tell. I actually liked the flip better, This Road Is Getting Hard or something similar. I don't have much info but can tell you that she is the sister of Dorothy Morrison, whose maiden name is Combs. There is a local Oakland gospel 45 from around the same time from the Combs Family, which features Dorothy on lead on one side. Not sure if Shirley is on that record or not. Justin Torres probably has more details to share...

Came across this thread and wondered if Shirley (as she was Dorothy's sister is in fact Shirley Miller), both of them being in The Edwin Hawkins Singers

Shirley.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert