Timebox - Beggin'

I play regularly at a 'local' soul and motown night, and love doing so, and would have no problem giving 'beggin' a play alongside the likes of 'breaking down the walls of heartache' 'band of gold' 'rescue me' 'shake a tail feather' etc all great tunes by the way, and all who attend have a great time,

Equally i wouldn't expect to hear 'beggin' at any upfront, rare, cutting edge type of event,

Now where it 'fits' in between is down to the opinion of the person playing the tunes, which is probably why you havn't heard it before Jayne,

And before anybody picks holes in any of the tunes i have randomly mentioned ....... it's just an opinion :shades:

Pete

breaking down the walls of heartache maybe but can't see why it'd go along side band of gold, rescue me or shake a tail feather....

I'm going to do some investigating over Stockport way, maybe some of Ian Obeng's DJ's can enlighten me. For me, it wouldn't sound out of place at somewhere like Blackburn KGH or beat boutique in Manchester. ..or the twisted wheel...

Jayne.x.

Social source share

• Replies 69
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

We might have all heard them many times in the past but there are plenty of new-breeds out there who think it's the business.

That's just my opinion by the way :shades:

that'll be me then!.. (Just!)... :ohmy:

Jayne.x. (Clinging on to youth).

Social source share

breaking down the walls of heartache maybe but can't see why it'd go along side band of gold, rescue me or shake a tail feather....

I'm going to do some investigating over Stockport way, maybe some of Ian Obeng's DJ's can enlighten me. For me, it wouldn't sound out of place at somewhere like Blackburn KGH or beat boutique in Manchester. ..or the twisted wheel...

Jayne.x.

Seem to recall saying don't pick holes in the tunes i randomly selected, it's an opinion, we all have em, :shades:

Jayne, i know you have attended at least 2 of the 3 events you have mentioned on a regular basis, but you have never heard 'beggin'? Could it possibly be that those playin the tunes don't agree? opinions again, they shouldn't be allowed :ohmy:

It's a great tune along with many many others of the same ilk, had and has it's place, where that place is all down to the individuals hmmm ......... preference :ohmy:

Pete

Social source share

Seem to recall saying don't pick holes in the tunes i randomly selected, it's an opinion, we all have em, :shades:

Jayne, i know you have attended at least 2 of the 3 events you have mentioned on a regular basis, but you have never heard 'beggin'? Could it possibly be that those playin the tunes don't agree? opinions again, they shouldn't be allowed :g:

It's a great tune along with many many others of the same ilk, had and has it's place, where that place is all down to the individuals hmmm ......... preference :ohmy:

Pete

wasn't picking holes... nowt wrong with any of the tunes, I was commenting that I dont understand how they go along side each other... :lol:

nope, I dont think it's that the DJ's at said venue's disagree - at the moment I think it's just an overlooked tune. Some of them are too busy playing what the previous dj has just played to go back to stuff like this...!!. :wave: and NO dont even think that I'm talking about you.

can I have yours then ,seeing as you wont play it?... :ohmy:

Jayne.x.

Social source share

wasn't picking holes... nowt wrong with any of the tunes, I was commenting that I dont understand how they go along side each other... :wave:

nope, I dont think it's that the DJ's at said venue's disagree - at the moment I think it's just an overlooked tune. Some of them are too busy playing what the previous dj has just played to go back to stuff like this...!!. :ohmy: and NO dont even think that I'm talking about you.

can I have yours then ,seeing as you wont play it?... :shades:

Jayne.x.

But Jayne dear, scroll back and read where it says i have no problem playing it, where i think it fits :ohmy:

Pete

Social source share

Yes i have one, and no i won't :ohmy:

Pete

This is the post I was referring to...I forgot you're a bit picky, I should have said wont play it at Bury..

anyway, you're not helping me in my quest to find one!. :shades:

So have you got any other dead good records that you dont play? lol :ohmy:

Jayne.x

Social source share

why? it sounds more 'northern' to me than 'motownish'.. although it is several hours since I last heard it..

Jayne.x.

Because it's one of those commercial records Jayne, i.e. it was in the charts, the other Pete has it spot on about playing it alongside Johnny Johnson etc. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love it.

Social source share

anyway, you're not helping me in my quest to find one!. :thumbsup:

Jayne.x

Here you go Jayne there are 4 listed on Gemm :lol: .........

JEFFKING (UK) DERAM VG+ $123.08

JOHN MANSHIP DERAM E $116.98

HAL (FRANCE) DERAM VG + $416.00 :D

BWRR DERAM (USA) M- $74.75 :thumbsup:

JB xxxKTFxxx

Mick Smiths got a vg+ one he'll probably flog you for 30 quid

Social source share

Because it's one of those commercial records Jayne, i.e. it was in the charts, the other Pete has it spot on about playing it alongside Johnny Johnson etc. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love it.

yeh, I understand what you're saying.... I'd play it anywhere (if I was a DJ) as I'm unaware of it's 'reputation' and totally unaware that it was ever in the charts.

I get the impression there's a kinda stigma or snobbery attached to records like this in certain kinda nights or with certain DJ's.. maybe I'm wrong, its more a question than a statement.

Anyway, Thanks everyone, I think I'm sorted for a copy now..

Time to sort through and take some trades to Cleethorpes though. :D

Jayne.x.

Social source share

yeh, I understand what you're saying.... I'd play it anywhere (if I was a DJ) as I'm unaware of it's 'reputation' and totally unaware that it was ever in the charts.

I get the impression there's a kinda stigma or snobbery attached to records like this in certain kinda nights or with certain DJ's.. maybe I'm wrong, its more a question than a statement.

Anyway, Thanks everyone, I think I'm sorted for a copy now..

Time to sort through and take some trades to Cleethorpes though. :D

Jayne.x.

Jayne, there's no stigma or snobbery, it is truly a great track, as are thousands of others, they are not as you say overlooked, it is just that this one has escaped you, as other similar tracks have escaped others, myself included,

If you really want it played at Bury then no snobbery here Jayne, just don't pull ya face if someone says 'if you can play that you can play Johnny Johnson or R Dean Taylor or Arthur Connelly or Sly and the Family Stone etc etc and when you say 'but i've heard all those and beggin is new to me' remember one or two of those mentioned maybe new to other younger breeds,

I love the track as i do The Elgins - Heaven must have sent you (check my profile, my fave all time track and proud to admit it) but it won't be in the playbox at Bury, or i would need a playbox the size of a lorry, with time to play around 25 of em,

Timebox will be in there though - for sure :D

Pete

Social source share

Jayne, there's no stigma or snobbery, it is truly a great track, as are thousands of others, they are not as you say overlooked, it is just that this one has escaped you, as other similar tracks have escaped others, myself included,

If you really want it played at Bury then no snobbery here Jayne, just don't pull ya face if someone says 'if you can play that you can play Johnny Johnson or R Dean Taylor or Arthur Connelly or Sly and the Family Stone etc etc and when you say 'but i've heard all those and beggin is new to me' remember one or two of those mentioned maybe new to other younger breeds,

I love the track as i do The Elgins - Heaven must have sent you (check my profile, my fave all time track and proud to admit it) but it won't be in the playbox at Bury, or i would need a playbox the size of a lorry, with time to play around 25 of em,

Timebox will be in there though - for sure :D

Pete

gosh. I'm not even allowed double standards at me own disco!.. :D (PLEASE dont take me seriously with that!!)..

Hmm.. you might have a point I suppose... would it fit with our music policy?... personally I'd say yes but that's my biased opinon, certainly not Neil's.

Yes, if I heard R Dean Taylor,etc being played at Bury I'd pull my face and I hate hearing The Elgins because I've heard it so many times and its got a totally different sound to this track IMO. Hey, maybe we should have a 2nd room for "Learner Soulies"... I could happily sit and listen to stuff that others are now sick of hearing.. :D LOL

No need to bring it to Bury though..can't see you being too impressed if I'm not there to hear it... :D

Jayne.x. (going even more off topic!)

Social source share

Jayne.x.

[/quote

I heard the Frankie Valli version at Stockport GH the last time I was there a year or so ago...I prefer that to be honest as I had enough of the Timebox version at under 18 Mod nights 20 years ago. Maybe the reason you haven't heard it is that it really is that common that it's gone off most established djs' playlists years ago. Plus it was played a lot in the 80s so you may be a bit young :thumbup: I sold my copy on here last year which incidentally I was given by a man at work in a box full of other 60s and 70s pop hits.

Social source share

Guest Simon

sorry Simon - who are sparks?... :lol:

Jayne.x.

I take it you jest, Jane?

This town ain't big enough for the both of us...

Simon :wub:

Social source share

I thought we were the same age Reg??.. under 18 Mod nights, where were they?.

Yeh, I found the thread from last year. I bet Mark Robinson tells me that he plays it all the time and I just dont listen..lol :thumbsup:

Jayne.x

Think I'm a bit older than you Jayne...just, lol.....we used to go to Mod alldayers and nights in Manchester in the early-mid 80s when we were 15/16 at Cloud Nine and the Berlin club...I remember it from then you see :D

Social source share

Jayne play it loud and proud I say :) I used to love the floor reaction to this soulies in full dance flight, I love the way his vocals have that pleading sound to em, very hot!! Gonna have to stop writing and change me draws I think :yes::(:yes: anyhow it does it for me.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert