80s Northern Tapes

Me and a mate were talking about a great northern tape we got back in the early 80s called "House Of Sounds" which we held as the yardstick for us back then when we were only getting into Northern. It was our ultimate goal to pick up everything on the tape if we could (we couldn't) and I've searched my house for the tape and can't find it, nor can we remember all the tracks on it but it did contain stuff like Frankie Karl - You Should Have Held On, Bunny Sigler - Don't Stop Doing What You're Doing, Lavern Baker - Wrapped, Tied And Tangled, Lawrence & The Arabians - I'll Try Harder (I think), Edward Hamilton - Call Me, Shep - Fool To Fool, Frances Nero - Keep On Loving Me and Obrey Wilson - I Want To Tell You.

Can't remember everything that's on it and the sound quality - being about a 10th generation copy - was crap but we'd love to hear it again so if anyone has the track listing, I want to re-record the tape onto CD with the ones we picked up on vinyl and the rest from CD.

Just a little trip down memory lane for the two of us from when we first got into the scene.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Thanks Chalkey. Ripped the house apart and can't find it. Probably lent it to someone who "forgot" to give it back. When I get the tracklisting I'll give you a shout. Thanks for your help.

Social source share

Thanks Chalkey. Ripped the house apart and can't find it. Probably lent it to someone who "forgot" to give it back. When I get the tracklisting I'll give you a shout. Thanks for your help.

link

will also try for you if you get listing.

dave

Social source share

Bought two tapes around mid - late 80's from the Merc when it was just off Carnaby street, 6T's Dance Style

A.C.Reed- My Baby's Been Cheating

Bud Harper- Where Ever You Were

The Marvelows- Your Little Sister

Volcanos- Laws Of Love

Sam Ward- Sister Lee

The Servicemen- Sweet Magic

Tony Hester- Down In The Dumps

Otis Smith- Let Her Go

Betty Boo- Spellbound

Timothy Wilson- Hey Girl, Do You Love Me

Attractions- That Girl Is Mine

The Sheppards- Little Girl Lost

Jo Ann Garrett- A Whole New Plan

The Martells- Where Can My Baby Be

The Wanderers- You Just Can't Run Away From Me

Frankie Beverly- Because Of My Heart

Billy Preston- The Girls Got It

Big Maybelle- I'm Gonna Get You

Maxine Brown- Torture

Sam Dees- Lonely For You Baby

The Chandlers- Your Love Makes Me Lonely

Nolan Chance- If He Makes You

Chuck Jackson- Hand It Over

Donald Jenkins- Somebody Help Me

& RARE SIXTIES Soul Dancers

Gene Toones- What More Do You Want

Roger Hatcher- Sweetest Girl

Tempo's- I'll Never Forget

Joanne Courcy- Got The Power

Martells- Where Can My Baby Be

Cashmeres- Showstopper

Johnny Rogers- Make A Change

Tony Hestor- Watch Yourself

Howard Guyton- Slowly Slip Away

Dean Courtney- Just Can't Walk

Yvonne Vernee- You Did Me

John/ Weirdest- No Time

Olympics- No More Will I Cry

Tommy Turner- I'm Lazy

Headliners- Looking For Love

Marvello's- Somethings Burning

Romeos- Mon Petit Chow

Deletts- Whats The Use

Teardrops- Every Step I Take

Appreciations- Never Really Loved

Masqueraders- The Same Thing

Gene & Eddie- It's No Sin

Ambassadors- Storm Warning

Versatiles- Cry Like A Baby.

Thanks to whoever compiled them, two of the first Northern tapes i purchased & loads of stuff that still gets played.

Social source share

Bought two tapes around mid - late 80's from the Merc when it was just off Carnaby street, 6T's Dance Style

link

Unfortunately not the one I'm missing. Excellent tapes though for someone just getting into it, could have done with those back in 85.

Social source share

I do have about three or four of those 'House of Sounds' tapes, all of which are first hand copies. Quality is pretty good overall, I could possibly do a track listing if you want but it would take time as their is about 36 tracks on each!

Social source share

I do have about three or four of those 'House of Sounds' tapes, all of which are first hand copies. Quality is pretty good overall, I could possibly do a track listing if you want but it would take time as their is about 36 tracks on each!

link

Any chance then that you could scan the covers with the tracklistings and email them to me?

pauljdavis@oceanfree.net

Thanks

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert