• Replies 10
  • Views 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

post-4279-1223398529_thumb.jpg

Just won this Peppermints 45 on ebay description says autographed by the original group members

Roger = Roger Crayton (Lee Rogers)

Barney = Duke Browner

Jesse = Jesse Greer

Certainly makes it more desirable to me, what do you lot think

If it were me I'd prefer them to sign the sleeve!

Social source share

post-4279-1223398529_thumb.jpg

Just won this Peppermints 45 on ebay description says autographed by the original group members

Roger = Roger Crayton (Lee Rogers)

Barney = Duke Browner

Jesse = Jesse Greer

Certainly makes it more desirable to me, what do you lot think

Less desirable because it has writing on the label! It does not matter who writes on it, they are defacing the record.

Its good to have these legendary artists autographs, but as already mentioned, better on the sleeve.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Less desirable because it has writing on the label! It does not matter who writes on it, they are defacing the record.

Its good to have these legendary artists autographs, but as already mentioned, better on the sleeve.

That argument is a very recent predudice that has emerged due to rapidly rising record prices. There was never any problem with autographed labels until several years ago.

As a collector myself, I fully understand the reasoning behind wanting a pristine record and label, but the idea that, say Marvin Gaye or Curtis Mayfield were somehow "defacing" a record by autographing it seems truly bizarre to me, as when a record is originally autographed (in person), one never considers that you may have to sell it one day, the signature being usually a memento of a significant meeting/concert, and not a mere "commodity" for future financial profit!

Maybe the current financial reality check will return a sense of true value to the UK Soul scene (and the country at large!), but I doubt it as long as it is dominated by the profit margins of "dealers" and the trivial whims of over obsessive collectors. The parallels with the stock exchange are perhaps worth pondering!

"A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything, and the value of nothing" (Oscar Wilde)

"It's What's In The Grooves That Counts" (Berry Gordy)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Had the cover of my Marlena Shaw "Spice of Life" Lp signed. Had a few friends extend their disgust at me for "defacing" such a copy. It's hanging tight with me til' the grave. Each to their own.

Social source share

Agreed Mel.

I've got a few signed records and they aint going anywhere.

Memories are priceless. :unsure:

That argument is a very recent predudice that has emerged due to rapidly rising record prices. There was never any problem with autographed labels until several years ago.

As a collector myself, I fully understand the reasoning behind wanting a pristine record and label, but the idea that, say Marvin Gaye or Curtis Mayfield were somehow "defacing" a record by autographing it seems truly bizarre to me, as when a record is originally autographed (in person), one never considers that you may have to sell it one day, the signature being usually a memento of a significant meeting/concert, and not a mere "commodity" for future financial profit!

Maybe the current financial reality check will return a sense of true value to the UK Soul scene (and the country at large!), but I doubt it as long as it is dominated by the profit margins of "dealers" and the trivial whims of over obsessive collectors. The parallels with the stock exchange are perhaps worth pondering!

"A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything, and the value of nothing" (Oscar Wilde)

"It's What's In The Grooves That Counts" (Berry Gordy)

Social source share

I have a white chess demo signed by tony clarke, i am not bothered if it has defaced the label or not, i am just glad to have it, thinking of having it framed, i will never part with it

KTF

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert