[Rs] derrick harriott - the loser - island / trojan

Pete S

Title: derrick harriott - the loser - island / trojan
Artist: derrick harriott
Track: the loser
Label: island / trojan

usa Record information:

obviously i have posted this up before but it was off my very scratchy island copy, i didn't realised it for a reissue on the brown trojan label as a b side in 1973 so here is a recording off that issue, still not perfect but a lot less scratchy than the first one. this has to be one of the best 3 soulful rocksteady tunes ever made 84460

Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Posted info:

Obviously I have posted this up before but it was off my very scratchy Island copy, I didn't realised it for a reissue on the brown Trojan label as a B side in 1973 so here is a recording off that issue, still not perfect but a lot less scratchy than the first one. This has to be one of the best 3 soulful rocksteady tunes ever made

I picked up a NM R/W Island of this a few months ago - beautiful record!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Loosely adapted from the Artistics' "I'm Gonna Miss You" (piano intro is identical to the solo in the middle of "Miss", for a start!)

One of the absolute peaks of Jamaican soul music IMO, and another record I played at 6Ts in the time when I was trying to slip the odd Jamaican 45 into my sets there. I remember Eddie Engel coming up to me while it was playing and saying 'why are you trying to spoil our night with all this reggae shit?"...

...ignorant git.

Social source share

Yes, it is strange. This one is TR 7887 from 1973. I only found out about it 3 weeks ago!

post-1893-1224686975_thumb.jpg

got one of these couple of years ago for about a fiver, as i thought i'd never pick up an Island one at right price;

next one on ebay went for over a ton. not been watching for them lately though so don't know going rate.

steve

Social source share

got one of these couple of years ago for about a fiver, as i thought i'd never pick up an Island one at right price;

next one on ebay went for over a ton. not been watching for them lately though so don't know going rate.

steve

Think I paid about £32 for the Trojan one, one went for about £48 the week before. I've still got my old Island one, records come and go but I've never been able to part with that one.

Social source share

Think I paid about £32 for the Trojan one, one went for about £48 the week before. I've still got my old Island one, records come and go but I've never been able to part with that one.

Bloody hell! I paid a fiver for the Island one! :yes:

Edited by john s
Social source share

• 5 weeks later...

Just out of interest.........I have a King Sporty version of this, on Attack.

It sounds like the backing vocals are the same, but the rhythm is definitely not (the bass line sounds like a slowed down Jackie Wilson Higher & Higher melody), and the drum beat is straight (ie not on the offbeat)

I quite like it - but it doesn't blow me away - who was King Sporty anyway?

was wondering what anyone else thought of this version, if they've come across it

sorry I can't post a sound file

Cheers

Rob

Social source share

Just out of interest.........I have a King Sporty version of this, on Attack.

It sounds like the backing vocals are the same, but the rhythm is definitely not (the bass line sounds like a slowed down Jackie Wilson Higher & Higher melody), and the drum beat is straight (ie not on the offbeat)

I quite like it - but it doesn't blow me away - who was King Sporty anyway?

was wondering what anyone else thought of this version, if they've come across it

sorry I can't post a sound file

Cheers

Rob

King Sporty was a dj and singer from the mid 60's onwards, real name Noel Williams. Even had a couple of soul tracks played on the Northern scene. Haven't heard this version, would like to if possible

Social source share

King Sporty was a dj and singer from the mid 60's onwards, real name Noel Williams. Even had a couple of soul tracks played on the Northern scene. Haven't heard this version, would like to if possible

...and moved to Miami in the early 70s and set up (or had productions on) the Konduko and Micron labels.

He was/is married to Soul singer Betty Wright...

Social source share

Source Advert