Letchworth Irish Club Friday 5th December

Guest D'Arcy

Just got back in from last night, I don't normally post in events lookback but;

Last night was the last night after two years at the Irish Club, discounting the tripple birthday bash in January.

Numbers were well down only about 45 to 50 people, but they were all in through the door by 21.00. Strangley most of the people there were travelers.

The night unfolded with what can only be described as a sublime musical fest. From the rarest of the rare to cheapies, but all great records and thoughtfully chosen. Everyone of the D.J's from Toby to Taffy to Steve G to Pete Hullat and finishing off with Flanny unfurled a Soulful dream.

The atmosphere was superb, friendly, funny yes good old fashioned fun and exciting. Everthing a Soul doo should be. Only one thing missing, a few more decerning customers.

If you lived within 30 miles of Letchworth last night and didn't go, shame on you. However, twas your loss. People complain that Soul doo's are the same old same old, well last night was a breath of fresh air and so many people missed out.

Congratulations and well done to Taffy, Grahame and Toby for the last two years and to all the D.J's who played last night and have guested over the last two tears. What a great way to end an era.

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest gordon russell

have to agree with d'arcy,good crac,good music......as i've said sometimes wonder about folk in this area,you come to my do ,but i'm fooked if i'm going to yours.Well good news for all you here today gone tomorrow soulies you ain't got that problem anymore.....no more letchworth,bedford,hitchin and luton.....in short you got nowt to go to anymore,just as you like it,but don't come on here complaining,you didn't come cause you didn't want it.....so now you ain't got it......roll on burnley and middleton where they know how to enjoy emslves....tezza :lol:

What an unexpected treat last night at Letchworth was. My husband texted me to ask what the place/proceedings were like and I replied 'Nissen hut, under a pylon in the middle of an industrial estate, feckin' brilliant!' The Irish centre was obviously nothing less than a home from home for the convent girls like myself and the Misses McNulty & Muccini, and from the moment Taffy threw on 'Charade', my favourite tune of all time, we were away on the dancefloor to the most truly across the board sounds I've heard in one room for a long time. Great company, friendly locals, great laugh, loads of atmosphere and a fitting birthday celebration for Dru.

Theresa x

I had a good night out...........so there............

After many long chats about the situation regarding the North Herts Irish Club and the poxy old fogeys on the commitee,we have decided to call it a day in this venue its with sadness we do this(but you never know we may return at some stage).

This paves the way for a new venture in Hitchin(about 3 miles away) called "GROOVESVILLE" run by Andy Kempster with a small contribution from me,this should take over the Hitchin FC nights & Letchworth nights,in theory combining both into one which makes for a storming night out,with the emphasis on quality soul music that you people out there have come to expect and deserve,1st one is 24 January 09,see events etc.

onwards we go........5th Dec 08.

As stated the numbers were down but the soul people made up for it each and every one of you THANKS.

Well done must go to our regular line up of DJs Steve G,Pete H,Taffy,Veggie,and to our guest DJs all of whom have stepped up to the plate and done the full works never a bad tune played by any of them so with that a BIG BIG THANKS (i wont post up my play list ...........there crap tunes :shhh: ).

As Terry said earlier whats with the local peeps eh,us it or you lose it,its everyones loss in the long term,shame on you people.........never mind eh,maybe Terry's fave person is waiting in the wings :D .

almost forgot Happy Birthday Dru,i hope you liked your record,get Ady to play it out every time for you.

The next night at the North Herts Irish Club is

Friday 16th January 09 its the FREE yes i said FREE entry triple birthday bash Taffy,Martin (RBMAN) & mine,see anyone of us for the invite/or if youve been before you get in anyway your names will be on the list

DJs booked & confirmed include Steve G.....Pete H.......Taffy......Neil Jones & Dolly + a few other peeps but the best bit is MR KEITH MONEY is my very special guest for the night..thanks Keith :lol: .All the way from Dundee Scotland.........awesome DJ & a true gent of the highest order.

See you ALL at the Irish in January

Stay safe and well folks.

Toby..

have to agree with d'arcy,good crac,good music......as i've said sometimes wonder about folk in this area,you come to my do ,but i'm fooked if i'm going to yours.Well good news for all you here today gone tomorrow soulies you ain't got that problem anymore.....no more letchworth,bedford,hitchin and luton.....in short you got nowt to go to anymore,just as you like it,but don't come on here complaining,you didn't come cause you didn't want it.....so now you ain't got it......roll on burnley and middleton where they know how to enjoy emslves....tezza :lol:

While you are right about locals not attending, I know I wasn't there but I had personal reasons and had been excused and if I had been able to be there I would of but I had attended one of my best friends sons funerals on Friday and really wasn't up to it. Niether Luton nor Bedford have gone through lack of attendance but through change of management at the venues.

Glad you all had a great time and will see you in January for the birthday bash :) .

QoFxx

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Guest Little Reg

Hi Toby & Taff

"FANTASIC" :) Form the start to the finnish what a shame this brillant soul club is comming to an end im realy goner miss it. As the music was so good i was on the floor most of the time.and when i wasnt i was thinking ho no not anouther brillant "choon". Best sound for me was when FLANNY plade the vurson of HANG ON IN THERE BY by a femail singer don't know who but would realy like a copy. (Toby) see what you can do matey

Eneyway i know GROVESVILL is going to be a huge success so i don't have to worry about souling in the Herts aera so ill see you all soon

all the best

lots of love

little reg.

P.S.Sorry about the spellings no one to help me :lol:

Guest partytimegirl

Oouch my head still hurts from all the celebrating we did and my sides still hurt from all the laughing we did. Still I suppose thats the price you have to pay for a top night from start to finish.

Special thanks to the promotors and DJ'S who provided the best sounds soul music has to offer.

Looking forward to the birthday bash in Jan this will be the first date on my calendar after my return from 4 weeks in the sun for Xmas and the new year!! Life just gets better and better!!

Photos will follow soon once I get the chance to down load!! :thumbsup::ohmy::D

Guest Andy Kempster

tis a shame to see another night go to the wall, but perhaps a shot in the arm (read as kick up the arse) is needed round these here parts because the apathy is frightening. what D'Arcy and Terry have said is absolutely correct. you didnt use it and now you lost.....

chrissie obviously i cannot speak for hammie and pete but change in management or not i am sure if the numbers were not down then they would be rushing around looking for a new venue, when it is glaringly obvious they are not. you have to ask the question, if a night is always busy then why do the management want to get rid of you anyway...truth is the bar take is down due to the fact that numbers are down

its a fact that most people in attendance had travelled to be there and the locals were nowhere to be seen

i cant wait for the birthday bash its going to be a corker, lets see how busy that is when its free ph34r.gif

love and kisses....Andy

tis a shame to see another night go to the wall, but perhaps a shot in the arm (read as kick up the arse) is needed round these here parts because the apathy is frightening. what D'Arcy and Terry have said is absolutely correct. you didnt use it and now you lost.....

its a fact that most people in attendance had travelled to be there and the locals were nowhere to be seen

i cant wait for the birthday bash its going to be a corker, lets see how busy that is when its free ph34r.gif

love and kisses....Andy

agreed a kick up the jacksy is needed in certain people,but you cant force people to go to an event can you,they'll be the ones moaning that a certain promoter/dj (anyone in mind Terry) :lol::lol: that he/she have put a same old same old crap do on,to you lot who did'nt use ,well now you lost it.

Well the FREE birthday bash WILL BE PACKED,not just cos its free, cos people want to be there and most of them will be travellers who appreciate a great night out....so see ya on Jan 16th 09 PARTY TIME.

Andy dont beat yourself up over this certain people just dont want to know do they......they cant help it..

Toby (a not bitter,but dissapointed Toby),

Guest gordon russell

I've said for a long time,that the soul scene around here has just been a fad for a lot of folk and thats turned out to be about right.We are all affected by the credit crac....so thats no real excuse,it was just a phase and now it's past for all the part timers.luckily there are a lot of stalwarts who keep on keeping on...WHY?? cause they do actually like the music.It comes to something when local venues have more folk in them who have travelled ,than people who live nearby....keep the faith...right on :huh:

Just like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who turned up on friday especially the majority who travelled from as far as southampton and the north west, south london,surrey,essex etc.no easy feat on a friday for a evening do.We've had some great nights here and friday really went out with a bang.A massive thanks to our regular djs Steve G,Pete Hulat,Toby and Paul for providing some of the best tunes you could here anywhere,you lads have been the backbone of this club.Big thanks to all the people who have constantly supported us over the last few years- you all know who you are.To Pete Tebbut for supplying the sound system at the last few nights-thanks mate your a star.And last but not least all the wonderful guest dj's that have made these nights top quality.A special mention to Flanny and his lovely wife Debbie and daughter Tracy :huh: for making the long journey down,YOU PLAYED A BLINDER MATE. and still managed to play an alldayer all on your own saturday-great stuff that magners.Can't wait to do i all again in January.

Taffy

I must apologise for my absence from Letchworth last Friday, but as some of you know, I was staying in Liverpool with a special friend. While there I did attend 2 do's.

I'm very sorry Letchworth is closing, I've enjoyed all my nights there; good music and company, I will also miss driving around the industrial estate looking for the venue, lol. I didn't have my sat nav one night and Karen kept phoning Taffy up for directions. Does anyone else remember the old chap who started to put out chairs just before the end of Hammy's set, think it was last year? Gave us a laugh, talking of NS bingo, etc.

However will be at the Birthday Bash and also Groovesville. They are on my calendar for 2009.

Why are soul nights in the Herts and Beds area closing down? I know there are some problems with managements wanting to close the bar at 11.30 or midnight, funny when you read all the furore about 24 hour drinking. But is this tied up with reduced attendances, leading to a lower take behind the bar?

The present economic difficulties must have quite a bearing on attendances. You have to have a roof over your head and you have to pay your bills.

I take the point about part timers. There are probably many people who "returned" to the soul scene in the late 90s and early 2000s, perhaps they've had their fill, might not like the music played or something. I would have thought that most of the Herts and Beds events I've attended have catered for a wide variety of tastes. Or do people want an unending menu of classic Northern 100mph Wigan type stompers? I just don't know.

I like to think that my love (obsession?) for soul music will keep me coming out as long as there are do's to go to. I know many others who feel the same way. I don't think the scene is dead yet. But for those who take the trouble to run a soul night it must sometimes be disheartening. Not sure I could take that amount of stress and pressure.

Thanks to all who run the Letchworth nights (and the other nights too); at least you had one satisfied customer.

I'll make sure I lose my mike-shyness and dedicate E J Rice for you !

See you then :D

Hi Dolly,

glad you can make the birthday bash,you two were outstanding last time out

Ill speak to you over the next week or so.

take care

Toby.

Source Advert