ALL-DAYER

At the Empire Hall

Totton

SOUTHAMPTON

SUN 24th MAY 09

12 Hours of quality soul

2pm til 2am

£7 b4 9pm £8 after

Record dealers welcome..(plenty of space to set up)

more info alfie00soul@yahoo.co.uk or call 07811360784

DJ line up....

Alfie

Chilli

Chris Thorley

Dave Abbott

Moldie

Nick Mack

Russ Vickers

Simon Preston

Steve Lyons

Tim Smithers

Wigan Brian

SO MUCH SOUL DOWN SOUTH....

More info to follow....

Bump..... :thumbup:

Good evening soulies.. thumbsup.gif

for those who have a sat nav...the post code...

SO40 3PY...

7 weeks and counting..... :thumbsup: ....roll on the 24th....

• Replies 229
  • Views 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

cheers mate......well up for this one having missed out on some local soul nights recently!..will try and spread the word around Soton for you!

Hit the Uni.........also maybe the Hipshaker guys can help with flyers ?. Does the Uni have a radio station.......get on there buddy & do ya stuff !!!.

Any chance of a few north of Watford gap making the effort.......would be great to see y'all on a Southern dancefloor.......or the bar :thumbsup: ........why not try it, ya never know ya might like the Rare Soul stuff southern styleeeeeeeeeeee.

Russ

Hit the Uni.........also maybe the Hipshaker guys can help with flyers ?. Does the Uni have a radio station.......get on there buddy & do ya stuff !!!.

Any chance of a few north of Watford gap making the effort.......would be great to see y'all on a Southern dancefloor.......or the bar :thumbsup: ........why not try it, ya never know ya might like the Rare Soul stuff southern styleeeeeeeeeeee.

Russ

Don't think they have a radio station as such Russ.Why not try sticking advert on Wave 105 site and other local radio sites.I know that Radio Stoke on friday night on Mary Fox's Northern/Motown show do adverts.Link is on BBC site.Don't forget to send me some flyers Alfie as will be at some South West soul do's in near future.

Dave

hi Dave & russ...hope your both well....

russ there are flyers in the post m8..sent mr abbott some last week....will post some to you dave aswell....

i am on the case of emailing a few radio stations....radio stoke was emailed a couple of weeks ago so hopefully it will get a mention...(thanx radio stoke)...a few soulies are also emailing loads of ppl so thanx to them aswell....infact a very big thankyou to all that are helping to promote this event...you all stars...

roll on the 24th its gonna be a blinder....

regards

alfie

Guest Dave Mortimore

hi Dave & russ...hope your both well....

russ there are flyers in the post m8..sent mr abbott some last week....will post some to you dave aswell....

i am on the case of emailing a few radio stations....radio stoke was emailed a couple of weeks ago so hopefully it will get a mention...(thanx radio stoke)...a few soulies are also emailing loads of ppl so thanx to them aswell....infact a very big thankyou to all that are helping to promote this event...you all stars...

roll on the 24th its gonna be a blinder....

regards

alfie

.DJ line up....

Alfie

Chilli

Chris Thorley

Dave Abbott

Moldie

Nick Mack

Russ Vickers

Simon Preston

Steve Lyons

Tim Smithers

Wigan Brian

. What's this I see! Another notable name has been slipped into the D.J. line-up.

. Tim actually mentioned it to me when we were travelling back from Lightwater on Saturday.

. We all know how he can have a maverick cum cavalier type approach to some of the sets he plays, which very much appeals to the soul connoisseurs, as he's always bringing something fresh to the local scene. However, I got the impression in our conversation that he may not be so unpredictable at The Empire Hall All-Dayer and play some music that we may have heard before, although I know, even then, it's going to be tunes that are underplayed. The real upside to all this, is that those of us who need to have at least a vague memory of a tune to further appreciate it and subsequently get up and dance, will have a chance.

. Looking Forward to the big day in May . . . . Dave & Jan

Edited by Dave Mortimore

.DJ line up....

Alfie

Chilli

Chris Thorley

Dave Abbott

Moldie

Nick Mack

Russ Vickers

Simon Preston

Steve Lyons

Tim Smithers

Wigan Brian

. What's this I see! Another notable name has been slipped into the D.J. line-up.

. Tim actually mentioned it to me when we were travelling back from Lightwater on Saturday.

. We all know how he can have a maverick cum cavalier type approach to some of the sets he plays, which very much appeals to the soul connoisseurs, as he's always bringing something fresh to the local scene. However, I got the impression in our conversation that he may not be so unpredictable at The Empire Hall All-Dayer and play some music that we may have heard before, although I know, even then, it's going to be tunes that are underplayed. The real upside to all this, is that those of us who need to have at least a vague memory of a tune to further appreciate it and subsequently get up and dance, will have a chance.

. Looking Forward to the big day in May . . . . Dave & Jan

Hi Dave hope you & jan are well....

yes mate Mr Smithers will be spinning some toons for us on the big day...i would love to ask more dj's but i would need another 12 hrs..lol...

the running order was all sorted & i thought rather than me spinning some toons why not get someone else to..that way i can give ruth a break on the door...the emails are flooding in from ppl who would like to know more about this sunday full of soul, so looks like it's gonna be busy...just what the doctor ordered... :thumbup:

catch up soon dave untill then take it easy... :thumbsup:

It's What's In the Grove That Count's.....

GOOD EVENING SOULIES...Happy Easter... thumbsup.gif

Have been asked about local accomadation for this event...hope this helps...

Express By Holiday Inn

Adanac Park

Redbridge lane

Nursling

Southampton

SO16 0YP

tel no 0871 423 4931

this is just off the m27 about 3-5 mins & 5 mins away from the venue in a car...

The Brimar Guest House

10-14 High Street

Totton

Southampton

SO40 9HN

TEL 02380 862950

This is about a 5-10 min walk away from the venue....

6 weeks & counting.... :rolleyes:

alfie

SOUTHAMPTON SOUL CLUB

is proud to present an

ALL-DAYER

At the Empire Hall

Totton

SOUTHAMPTON

SUN 24th MAY 09

12 Hours of quality soul

2pm til 2am

£7 b4 9pm £8 after

DJ line up....

Alfie

Chilli

Chris Thorley

Dave Abbott

Moldie

Nick Mack

Russ Vickers

Simon Preston

Steve Lyons

Tim Smithers

Wigan Brian

More info to follow....

Bump..... :lol:

5 weeks & counting....roll on the 24th.... :ohmy:

This gonna be a blinder, with the dj line up, there is sure to be something for everyone, and a proper sprung floor to boot :ohmy: Theres a real buzz about this one, with a lot of people saying they are going to travel to it and if you take all the locals on the south coast as well, its gonna be a packer :lol:

This gonna be a blinder, with the dj line up, there is sure to be something for everyone, and a proper sprung floor to boot :unsure: Theres a real buzz about this one, with a lot of people saying they are going to travel to it and if you take all the locals on the south coast as well, its gonna be a packer :lol:

Hi tim hope you well...

your not wrong m8...had another doz emails today asking about info for this event...so if all turn up then it looks like it could be a full house...just what the doctor orderd...luvly jubly...... :unsure:

if anyone would like more info then please contact...

alfie00soul@yahoo.co.uk

alfie

Guest FREEBIRD

Hi tim hope you well...

your not wrong m8...had another doz emails today asking about info for this event...so if all turn up then it looks like it could be a full house...just what the doctor orderd...luvly jubly...... :thumbsup:

if anyone would like more info then please contact...

alfie00soul@yahoo.co.uk

alfie

NO BUMPS TODAY?

Still looking forward to it... :thumbup:

SOUTHAMPTON SOUL CLUB

is proud to present an

ALL-DAYER

At the Empire Hall

Totton

SOUTHAMPTON

SUN 24th MAY 09

12 Hours of quality soul

2pm til 2am

£7 b4 9pm £8 after

DJ line up....

Alfie

Chilli

Chris Thorley

Dave Abbott

Moldie

Nick Mack

Russ Vickers

Simon Preston

Steve Lyons

Tim Smithers

Wigan Brian

More info to follow....

Bump..... :thumbup:

Just over 4 weeks to go ppl.....roll on the 24th....can't wait... :D

SOUTHAMPTON SOUL CLUB

is proud to present an

ALL-DAYER

At the Empire Hall

Totton

SOUTHAMPTON

SUN 24th MAY 09

12 Hours of quality soul

2pm til 2am

£7 b4 9pm £8 after

DJ line up....

Alfie

Chilli

Chris Thorley

Dave Abbott

Moldie

Nick Mack

Russ Vickers

Simon Preston

Steve Lyons

Tim Smithers

Wigan Brian

More info to follow....

Bump..... wink.gif

4 weeks and counting....roll on the 24th....

SO MUCH SOUL DOWN SOUTH & LOVIN IT.... :thumbsup::ohmy::lol:thumbup.gif:g::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Guest Dave Mortimore

A couple more pics ppl.... :lol:

post-6330-1240822592_thumb.jpg

post-6330-1240822981_thumb.jpg

Afie... :)

. Northern Soul is predominantly a dance culture and the quality and expanse of the floor has to be a crutial ingredient. So from those pictures, all I can say is, "Hubba Hubba !"

Edited by Dave Mortimore

. Northern Soul is predominantly a dance culture and the quality and expanse of the floor has to be a crutial ingredient. So from those pictures, all I can say is, "Hubba Hubba !"

Hi dave hope you & jan are well....

thought u would like the floor....get there early m8 then pick your own space....

alfie

Guest Nik Mak

THAT LOOKS A CRACKER OF A DANCE FLOOR THERE ALFIE, CANT WAIT MATE, ITS GONNA BE A PACKER FOR SURE :(

As you never dance why would you worry? :wave:

Guest Nik Mak

Yes dave you should be able to shimmy for england on that one! By the way do you ever need a sat nav to get back once you start across the floor? Try this mate three steps then back the other way, works for me. :(:wave:

Guest Dave Mortimore

Yes dave you should be able to shimmy for england on that one! By the way do you ever need a sat nav to get back once you start across the floor? Try this mate three steps then back the other way, works for me. :lol::rolleyes:

No thanks! Sat-Nav is a bit too technical for me. However, at Bishopstoke, after crossing the path of a guy doing hand stands, I did get a pair of size nines planted on my shoulder blades recently.

So what I'd really like is, 'Eyes in the back of my head!' The guy to his credit was very apologetic, even though it was six of one and half a dozen of the other. Such are folk on this amiable scene (except when it comes to preferences in music), which meant no offence could be taken.

. Anyway, I'm sure you could confirm from your own promotional activities, that finding a venue with a superb dancefloor can't be easy. But, from those photos, Alfie has certainly come up with something special.

Guest Nik Mak

No thanks! Sat-Nav is a bit too technical for me. However, at Bishopstoke, after crossing the path of a guy doing hand stands, I did get a pair of size nines planted on my shoulder blades recently.

So what I'd really like is, 'Eyes in the back of my head!' The guy to his credit was very apologetic, even though it was six of one and half a dozen of the other. Such are folk on this amiable scene (except when it comes to preferences in music), which meant no offence could be taken.

. Anyway, I'm sure you could confirm from your own promotional activities, that finding a venue with a superb dancefloor can't be easy. But, from those photos, Alfie has certainly come up with something special.

Spot on Dave. This could be a great day. All the elements are there. :lol:

Wonderful venue Alfie.

Hi steve...

Your not wrong...it's a top top top venue...with a big dance floor...first time i went in there was about 10 years ago and i said to myself then it would be ideal...shame it's took so long...the only thing that has changed is the colour of the walls...everything else is still the same...all that needs to happen now is for it to be filled on the 24th....

post-6330-1241117084_thumb.jpg

Just over three weeks to go ppl......can't wait... :ohmy::P:D:rolleyes::rolleyes:

SO MUCH SOUL DOWN SOUTH & LOVIN IT... :g:

Good afternoon soulies....not long to go before the

All-Dayer.... :thumbsup:

Thought i would post this link...a map of totton...etc...

Link: <https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF8&...307617&z=12>

click on the link...

The Empire Hall is just off the roundabout on comercial road

post code for those with a sat nav....

SO40 3PY

Hope this helps ppl.... :D

regards

Alfie... :ohmy::lol::lol::D

Edited by alfie00soul

Good afternoon soulies..... thumbsup.gif

I know its a few weeks to go but i have been asked if i could put up the following.....

dj line up & times for the All-Dayer sun 24th May....

i have given all the dj's a 30 min slot in the afternoon & a 40 min slot in the evening...this way everyone gets a fair crack at the whip....

Afternoon session.. thumbup.gif:D:lol::D

Alfie...........2pm till 3pm

Chilli...........3pm till 3.30pm

Steve lyons....3.30pm till 4.00pm

Dave Abbott...4.pm till 4.30pm

Chris Thorley..4.30pm till 5.00pm

Simon Preston.5pm till 5.30pm

Moldie..........5.30pm till 6.00pm

Russ Vickers....6pm till 6.30pm

Alfie...........6.30pm till 7.00pm

Evening session.... :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Tim Smithers...7pm till 7.40pm

Wigan Brian....7.40pm till 8.20pm

Chilli............8.20pm till 9.00pm

Steve Lyons....9pm till 9.40pm

Steve C........9.40pm till 10.20pm

Chris thorley...10.20pm til 11.00pm

Russ Vickers....11pm till 11.40pm

Simon Preston..11.40pm till 12.20pm

Dave Abbott....12.20pm till 1.00am

Moldie...........1am till 1.40am

Alfie.............1.40am till 2.am

SO MUCH SOUL DOWN SOUTH & LOVIN IT..... :thumbup:

Edited by alfie00soul
Guest RussianJo

Good afternoon soulies..... :lol:

I know its a few weeks to go but i have been asked if i could put up the following.....

dj line up & times for the All-Dayer sun 24th May....

i have given all the dj's a 30 min slot in the afternoon & a 40 min slot in the evening...this way everyone gets a fair crack at the whip....

Afternoon session.. :thumbup::yes::D:)

Alfie...........2pm till 3pm

Chilli...........3pm till 3.30pm

Steve lyons....3.30pm till 4.00pm

Dave Abbott...4.pm till 4.30pm

Chris Thorley..4.30pm till 5.00pm

Simon Preston.5pm till 5.30pm

Moldie..........5.30pm till 6.00pm

Russ Vickers....6pm till 6.30pm

Nick Mack......6.30pm till 7.00pm

Evening session.... :)thumbup.gif:D:D

Tim Smithers...7pm till 7.40pm

Wigan Brian....7.40pm till 8.20pm

Chilli............8.20pm till 9.00pm

Steve Lyons....9pm till 9.40pm

Nick Mack......9.40pm till 10.20pm

Chris thorley...10.20pm til 11.00pm

Russ Vickers....11pm till 11.40pm

Simon Preston..11.40pm till 12.20pm

Dave Abbott....12.20pm till 1.00am

Moldie...........1am till 1.40am

Alfie.............1.40am till 2.am

SO MUCH SOUL DOWN SOUTH & LOVIN IT..... thumbsup.gif

Looking good Alfie...where have all the weeks gone, not long now.....

:thumbup: it´s gonna be brill :thumbup:

Looking good Alfie...where have all the weeks gone, not long now.....

:wicked: it´s gonna be brill :no:

Hi jo... thumbsup.gif

your not wrong there...does'nt seem that long ago since i booked the hall...(about a year ago)...it's just gone...

Had The Empire Hall on the phone saying that alot of ppl are asking about the day and are very very interested...Gr8..... :thumbup:

i've been told soulies are coming from kettering,cambridge,brighton,cardiff,london,the midlands and with all the local crowd around southampton it should be a top top day... :D

roll on the 24th...

alfie

SO MUCH SOUL DOWN SOUTH...& LOVIN IT....

:D:D:)thumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gif:D:D:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Edited by alfie00soul
Guest kellys99

Yep, just over 2 weeks to go! Really looking forward to it! But you are barred from coming round for a cuppa till after the event! Sandy

Good afternoon soulies....not long to go before the

All-Dayer.... :)

Thought i would post this link...a map of totton...etc...

Link: <https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF8&...307617&z=12>

click on the link...

The Empire Hall is just off the roundabout on comercial road

post code for those with a sat nav....

SO40 3PY

Hope this helps ppl.... :(

regards

Alfie... :lol:thumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gif

Not long now ppl....

just over two weeks and counting.....

Roll on the 24th....

Guest Dave Mortimore

Hi jo... :shades:

your not wrong there...does'nt seem that long ago since i booked the hall...(about a year ago)...it's just gone...

Had The Empire Hall on the phone saying that alot of ppl are asking about the day and are very very interested...Gr8..... :shhh:

i've been told soulies are coming from kettering,cambridge,brighton,cardiff,london,the midlands and with all the local crowd around southampton it should be a top top day... :D

roll on the 24th...

alfie

SO MUCH SOUL DOWN SOUTH...& LOVIN IT....

. Now that the big day is almost upon us. Here is a little rendition to our host.

. I was chatting to Alfie last Saturday at The Railway Club and I couldn't help but feel impressed when hearing of his story in tracking down the scene that brought him into the world of Northern Soul.

. I think of my own youth and recall the three large local dance halls and other clubs that had dedicated soul nights at least once a week and sometimes two or three times a week. Therefore, from an exposure standpoint, I was fortunate to be around when Northern Soul was growing in it's infancy, in a city that was one of the working class hot beds for this culture. It was all going on under my nose!

. Now where was Alfie raised and what influences did he have in bringing him into soul music? Well, Ely in Cambridgeshire, which has not much more than a cathedral set on an island surrounded by boggy land. Hence the reason why 'Hereward the Wake' managed to hole up there when escaping from the Normans. Basically, The middle of nowhere. The strongest cultural influences for a young Alfie would probably have been Morris Dancing. Yet he had the passion and the drive to search much further afield and experience the soul venues where it was happening. This, I might add, was during an era when there wasn't alot going on. So I have to take my hat off to him for being one of the candle bearers during the lean years, prior to the revival and especially considering that he came from such a backwater.

. Since moving to Southampton, he has harboured the idea of running an All-Dayer and this venue was always been in his thoughts for such an event. He's now an established player on the south coast and has nurtured a very impressive following and close ties with other D.J.s in the region, to the extent that now is the right time. His planning has been long thought out, working hard to bring this all together and undoubtedly the day will be a huge success. I'm sure everyone will enjoy the occasion. But being a promoter is a responsibility that can weigh heavily on the host, so I'm hoping that Alfie can also get to relax and savour the big event.

. Fittingly, I would like to say that Alfie is a man of the people, with a passionate love for all the different genres of music that make up this scene.

. He's a True Soul Man who I'm sure we all appreciate and give thanks to for bringing to us, as he would put it,

So Much Soul Down South !

Edited by Dave Mortimore
Guest Bearsy

. Now that the big day is almost upon us. Here is a little rendition to our host.

. I was chatting to Alfie last Saturday at The Railway Club and I couldn't help but feel impressed when hearing of his story in tracking down the scene that brought him into the world of Northern Soul.

. I think of my own youth and recall the three large local dance halls and other clubs that had dedicated soul nights at least once a week and sometimes two or three times a week. Therefore, from an exposure standpoint, I was fortunate to be around when Northern Soul was growing in it's infancy, in a city that was one of the working class hot beds for this culture. It was all going on under my nose!

. Now where was Alfie raised and what influences did he have in bringing him into soul music? Well, Ely in Cambridgeshire, which has not much more than a cathedral set on an island surrounded by boggy land. Hence the reason why 'Hereward the Wake' managed to hole up there when escaping from the Normans. Basically, The middle of nowhere. The strongest cultural influences for a young Alfie would probably have been Morris Dancing. Yet he had the passion and the drive to search much further afield and experience the soul venues where it was happening. This, I might add, was during an era when there wasn't alot going on. So I have to take my hat off to him for being one of the candle bearers during the lean years, prior to the revival and especially considering that he came from such a backwater.

. Since moving to Southampton, he has harboured the idea of running an All-Dayer and this venue was always been in his thoughts for such an event. He's now an established player on the south coast and has nurtured a very impressive following and close ties with other D.J.s in the region, to the extent that now is the right time. His planning has been long thought out, working hard to bring this all together and undoubtedly the day will be a huge success. I'm sure everyone will enjoy the occasion. But being a promoter is a responsibility that can weigh heavily on the host, so I'm hoping that Alfie can also get to relax and savour the big event.

. Fittingly, I would like to say that Alfie is a man of the people, with a passionate love for all the different genres of music that make up this scene.

. He's a True Soul Man who I'm sure we all appreciate and give thanks to for bringing to us, as he would put it,

is this the same Alfie i know :shhh: Dave you do talk bolox sometimes :D

joking aside for once this day should be a goodun with a bit of music for everyone at sometime or other :shades:

Guest SteveC

i've been told soulies are coming from kettering,cambridge,brighton,cardiff,london,the midlands and with all the local crowd around southampton it should be a top top day... :thumbup:

Add Blackburn, Manchester, Bedford and Rugby to your equation - twice as many foreigners visiting casa's Abbott and Csordas as anticipated :shades::shhh::D

Time to play I thinks!!!!

Guest SteveC

joking aside for once this day should be a goodun with a bit of music for everyone at sometime or other :shades:

"Most" of the time I'd say mate!!! :shhh:

The boys n girls from the frozen north are in town.....& they party hard, lets show em a good time, they might even come back !!!.......cant wait......this has the potential to be hugely successful.......i for one is digging deeper.........

See ya there.....EARLY :thumbup: !

Peace, Love & Soulfulness

Russ

Good evening soulies..thought i would reply to you all in one take... :yes:

Hi Dave hope you & jan are well... :thumbup:

thanx for the write up....did'nt exspect you to do that...can't believe it's nearly a year ago since the hall was booked & now it's just around the corner...i think i have coverd everything...i emailed another local radio station today so hopefully they will give it a plug...

roll on the 24th...

Hi chris hows the devil are ya...hope you and k are well...(hope all goes well at the hospital this weekend)..

Your not wrong it is a top venue...plenty of space for the dancers...the record dealers have their own space as well..still getting emails asking about that so hopefully there will be lots records for sale on the day...bring some extra cash...managed to get a burger van for the day so moldie will be happy...lol...

catch up soon m8 till then take it easy... thumbsup.gif

Hi Mr Abbott... thumbsup.gif

THERE'S GONNA BE SO MUCH NORTH DOWN SOUTH.....Love it m8..... :lol:

Mr Castle see you at the OPERA HOUSE.... thumbsup.gif

Good to see you the other weekend at brighton Mr C....great news more soulies traveling down south.... :D:thumbup::thumbup:

Bearsy....ALL THE 4's...ktf.... :shades:

A big big thanx to everyone for all your support....

SO MUCH SOUL DOWN SOUTH....& LOVIN IT.... :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Guest BintofSoul

Hiya Alfie

Really looking forward to your event. I'll be more of an afternooner/nighter than alldayer for me though! I'm coming with some friends and trying to persuade sis to come a well, but she's playing hard to get. Have a word with her for me!

Don't forget to play Mack Rice :thumbup: !

Nicki XX

Source Advert