Is Ebay Taking The Fun Out Of It

Guest Dan

Generally over the last few years I've been a keen supporter of ebay, principally because it turns up the records you want quicker and easier than anything else.

But the speed with which things are now turning up is starting to have the opposite effect on me.

Several wants on there at the moment and I've got the cash so I might just get them.

But I do hanker after the days when you'd ring Pat Brady every week to be told that the records you wanted had gone (but get talked into paying £20 for some mid-tempo obscurity).

As Mr Jackson says, good things come to those who wait and not having to wait, or even look particularly hard, is starting to piss me off when all logic would say it shouldn't.

Am I alone??

And is there anything to be done??

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Generally over the last few years I've been a keen supporter of ebay, principally because it turns up the records you want quicker and easier than anything else.

But the speed with which things are now turning up is starting to have the opposite effect on me.

Several wants on there at the moment and I've got the cash so I might just get them.

But I do hanker after the days when you'd ring Pat Brady every week to be told that the records you wanted had gone (but get talked into paying £20 for some mid-tempo obscurity).

As Mr Jackson says, good things come to those who wait and not having to wait, or even look particularly hard, is starting to piss me off when all logic would say it shouldn't.

Am I alone??

link

Turn the p.c. off and spend all your weekend trawling through record boxes at soul nights, allnighters, record fairs and then get up at 5 a.m. to go to a car boot on sunday morning with a hangover in the drizzly rain to find one gem every 3 months. :D

Then hear your mates tell you they won a £100 hidden gem on ebay on sunday afternoon for $3 whilst sitting having a beer........ :D

Back to ebay within a month....if that long!

Edited by Mace
Social source share

yeah you're both right but that was a rhetorical question really

i know there's nothing really that can be done but it's just taken a lot of the romance away

Social source share

Turn the p.c. off and spend all your weekend trawling through record boxes at soul nights, allnighters, record fairs and then get up at 5 a.m. to go to a car boot on sunday morning with a hangover in the drizzly rain to find one gem every 3 months. :D

Then hear your mates tell you they won a £100 hidden gem on ebay on sunday afternoon for $3 whilst sitting having a beer........ :D

Back to ebay within a month....if that long!

link

Dont do hangover`s,and sunday means i`m properly still UP!but sometimes look a bit stupid with a big chewy smile on me face,for want of a better expression,please dont change car boots too mondays as i do not like them,and they probberly would`nt like me!........ :D

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Dont do hangover`s,and sunday means i`m properly still UP!but sometimes look a bit stupid with a big chewy smile on me face,for want of a better expression,please dont change car boots too mondays as i do not like them,and they probberly would`nt like me!........ :D

link

I just had a wonderful picture in my head, of you on Flog It, Ken.

The camp, over enthusiastic fella, and the posh bird with impressive bumpers, trying to stop you telling the auctioneer he's a fcuking tawt. :D

Social source share

The camp, over enthusiastic fella, and the posh bird with impressive bumpers, trying to stop you telling the auctioneer he's a fcuking tawt.  :D

link

Thank you for that virtual image now I won't be able to stop laughing all day

:D:D

QOF

XX

Social source share

Ya I definately think it takes the fun out. Finding a gem when you've been diggin for hours; its a great feeling. I do buy records off ebay but you gotta keep diggin' thats the original shit. If you buy everything online its no fun, besides I dont have the money for any of em on ebay.

Keep Diggin'!

Edited by sad_clown
Social source share

Ebay will never take the place of going to a record shop or show, etc..., and having the immediate pleasure of finding a record you've been after (or something new & exciting) and walking out the door.

I tend to use e-bay more as a resource for my record shopping that's done off-line. I try to note interesting 45s and then look for them in the field. Generally, with a bit of patience, I can find them for less than the e-bay price. Being on a budget, this is a good thing. Then again, spending the $$ to get a record you've been after the 'bay...feels real nice to mark it off the wants list......

Social source share

Ebay will never take the place of going to a record shop or show, etc..., and having the immediate pleasure of finding a record you've been after (or something new & exciting) and walking out the door.

I tend to use e-bay more as a resource for my record shopping that's done off-line. I try to note interesting 45s and then look for them in the field. Generally, with a bit of patience, I can find them for less than the e-bay price. Being on a budget, this is a good thing. Then again, spending the $$ to get a record you've been after the 'bay...feels real nice to mark it off the wants list......

link

Trouble is that some of ebays prices are not truly reflective of the field price as such (both ends of the scale)

Still maintain the feeling of finding a decent item listed on ebay for its B side for $3 in the wrong section with a misspelt description is as good as unearthing one in a record fair etc...least you can let the smile on your face reach the corner of your ears when you win it.....or even shout out 'Yes you beauty' as loud as you want :lol:

Social source share

Guest Trevski

I can't imagine how I coped, record buying wise, without ebay, (well I can, actually, and I don't like it!) Got loads of stuff, vastly under-priced from there. Will not pay UK price for records now. Sell 'em for UK prices, yes! :P Really tho' with ebay and online dealer lists, you can now do in a few hours, from the comfort of your chair, what would have required a trip to the States, a few years ago. Trips to the US are very nice, I must admit, but it's certainly cheaper to surf the USA, than fly there! :lol:

Social source share

The camp, over enthusiastic fella, and the posh bird with impressive bumpers, trying to stop you telling the auctioneer he's a fcuking tawt.  :P

link

First i have seen this,but where you get the "camp" from duckie!!!you are awefull but i do like you :lol:

Social source share

I can't imagine how I coped, record buying wise, without ebay, (well I can, actually, and I don't like it!) Got loads of stuff, vastly under-priced from there. Will not pay UK price for records now. Sell 'em for UK prices, yes! :)   Really tho' with ebay and online dealer lists, you can now do in a few hours, from the comfort of your chair, what  would have required a trip to the States, a few years ago. Trips to the US are very nice, I must admit, but it's certainly cheaper to surf the USA, than fly there! :D

link

yes this is the upside of it and i'm not suggesting there isn't one

it's just that the instant hit - hear a record somewhere, see it on ebay three days later, pay 70 bucks and it's in your hands a week after that - is somehow less satisfying than getting something after five years of wanting it. you somehow (or anyway i somehow) appreciate less that which has been easily obtained. i can remember where and how i bought records 15 or 20 years ago but can't remember what i won on ebay six months ago, without thinking hard about it.

if i can lower the tone for a moment, it's like the difference between a wank and a shag...both achieve the same result but one is somehow less than the other.

Social source share

Guest miff

if i can lower the tone for a moment, it's like the difference between a wank and a shag...both achieve the same result but one is somehow less than the other.

link

Yes Know what you mean Ones free :) and ive never had the other one without it costing me somewhere along the line. :D:)

Social source share

Guest mattmale

Am I alone??

link

I also like ebay, but i find it's taken alot of the fun out of rifling through dealer boxes at niters and soul nights. As i'm flicking through I keep thinking to myself 'i could probably get this cheaper on ebay it'll probably turn up eventually, why am i bothering...?' king.gif

shame really, looking through the records is one of my favourite pastimes at nights out. Obviously dealers generally have piles of stuff that won't appear on ebay, but the well known stuff usually turns up.

M.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert