Soul Bowl Records

Guest KEN-SOUL

Guest KEN-SOUL

I was wondering if anybody took advantige of the "100 originals for £25" deals, and also, were they really originals? I remember them offering Al Williams- i am nothing for £30, was this the original? (£30 was a lot of money then) i also have lists of the records sold from circa 1980, and have seen neither hide nor hair of them since:

"i catch myself crying"

"she cried just a minute" charles spurling

"i'm tempted" sandy hollis"

"i'm onto you girl" skip jackson/shantons

John manship, can you clear things up?

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest KEN-SOUL

I had a few packs and a few thousand records from Soul bowl all originals!! :lol:

Hi simon, we couldn't afford to buy them when i was a kid- i always dreamed of owning their "100 originals for £15", but sadly had to stick with the here and now...

i have many records from that period, i havn't played for many years as i have no record player. This damned new technology! :lol:

Social source share

Hi simon, we couldn't afford to buy them when i was a kid- i always dreamed of owning their "100 originals for £15", but sadly had to stick with the here and now...

i have many records from that period, i havn't played for many years as i have no record player. This damned new technology! :lol:

Get one of these Ken , best of both worlds :lol:

https://www.purelygadgets.co.uk/showproduct...&wysiwyg=10

Social source share

Wish I'd bought a few too !!! There was always summat on the main list that took my fancy (and money) tho.

Did buy a "northern" pack about '85 can't remember the price but think it worked out at about 30p a 45

Things like The Ringleaders "Baby What Has Happened" Darrow Fletcher "Infatuation" & "What Good Am I"

Cheryl Burdell "Giving It All To You" Jimmy Robins "ICan't Please You"....................happy days :lol:

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Yes, definitive originals :lol:

There was a point during the last big recession when you couldn't give rarities away - and reputedly John had piles of the slower stuff like Steve Mancha DMBC on Wheelsville.

I got some great stuff from Soul Bowl and used to love the big back catalogue type lists, as well as the weekly ones.

I got some great stuff for £2.50 or £3.00. There was stuff at that price I got like Connie Clark - My Sugar Baby(Joker), Tobi Lark - Challenge My Love (Topper), Carol Anderson - Taking My Mind Off Love (Whip), Tate - Love Shop (Cloverstreet).

Used to have to think hard about paying £5.00 or £10.00 in those days for a 45 and the kind of rarer stuff like the ones listed above was basically the same price as stuff like, for instance, Golden World promos like Holidays and Rose Batiste etc. If we only knew then what we know now eh?

Soul Bowl soul packs had some truly great stuff in and one that sticks in my mind that I got is Darrow Fletcher - What Have I Got Now on Jacklyn.

Looking at those old lists and thinking what could have been ain't good for your mind! :lol::lol:

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Guest wigantojapan

I,ve got a great record player a classic rega planner 3 if you want to trade in the skip jackson might even throw in a pair of linn speakers

Social source share

Soul Bowl--what packs they were :D

Bought many over the years and wished I'd bought a lot more :thumbsup:

Mr Anderson keeps an eye on things on here from the tower of his castle in Scotland :thumbsup: hello John, but as always seldom comments :D

The packs were a way of making space for new stock and to keep things moving around. All originals, but maybe "Off tempo" or not in Vogue at the time they were put in the packs. Tape swoppers lead the way in getting a lot of these records into the public eye (didn't you Derek Pearson and Ray Mahoney) and loads have become todays classics.

Rob & Karen

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert