The Producers/voices, Inc

Two questions for the experts here- I've noticed The Producers "Love Is Amazing" on Huff Puff is picking up a few plays recently. Great, very very underated record, the other side of which is "Lady Lady Lady", the instrumental of Dee Dee Sharp's "What Kind Of Lady" . My question is this- who are the vocalists on "Love Is Amazing" ? Anyone know? Second up -does anyone have a label scan of Voices, Incorporated 'Thinkin'? Ta !

Edited by Simon White
Social source share

• Replies 29
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Two questions for the experts here- I've noticed The Producers "Love Is Amazing" on Huff Puff is picking up a few plays recently. Great, very very underated record, the other side of which is "Lady Lady Lady", the instrumental of Dee Dee Sharp's "What Kind Of Lady" . My question is this- who are the vocalists on "Love Is Amazing" ? Anyone know? Second up -does anyone have a label scan of Voices, Incorporated 'Thinkin'? Ta !

simon, i can scan voices inc tonite for you (if no one does in the meantime).

Social source share

Simon, the "Soul Harmony Singles" book list's The Producers 45 together with Kenny Gamble and the Floaters/Romeos 45's.

Only mention's Kenny Gamble as vocalist with group member's

Thom Bell or Leon Huff (piano)

Winnie Wilford (bass)

Roland Chambers (guitar)

Karl Chambers (drums)

So I'd guess it's them.

Cheer's Paul Woosnam

Social source share

Guest rachel

My question is this- who are the vocalists on "Love Is Amazing" ? Anyone know?

Often wondered that as well - great tune :D

Social source share

Cheers chaps- very jealous of anyone who has the Soul Harmonies book- couldn't find one when I last looked for it.

I truly believe 'Love Is Amazing" is one of the great 'lost' northern records-its not rare or unknown but a surprisingly large amount of people don't seem to know it. Even Ian 'photographic memory' Levine didnt know it when I played it to him a while back and he flipped over it.

But....the main lead voice is a girl.....so who's she?

Social source share

Guest rachel

Great track - lovely feel good soul - first heard it on Rich Searlings show last year - picked up one cheap last year - shouldn't think it will break the bank still tho.

Rich

£30 on Manship, mine was less than a tenner a couple of years ago - as Simon says, doesn't seem to be that well known, have put it on tapes for quite a few people and often gets picked up on as one they like :D

Social source share

Label Listing ( As far as I know )

1001 - Landslides - Music Please Music b/w We Dont Need No Music

1002 - Producers - Love Is Amazing b/w Lady Lady Lady

1003 - Ruth McFadden - Rover Rover b/w Instrumental

Taken from JM.

Anymore ??

https://www.soulclub.org/stream/The_Produce..._Is_Amazing.ram

https://www.soulclub.org/stream/The_Produce...y_Lady_Lady.ram

For anyone who fancies a listen!

Rich

Social source share

Guest Martin Coleman

Cheers chaps- very jealous of anyone who has the Soul Harmonies book- couldn't find one when I last looked for it.

I truly believe 'Love Is Amazing" is one of the great 'lost' northern records-its not rare or unknown but a surprisingly large amount of people don't seem to know it.

Perhaps many people are like me - have had the record for years, but have never turned it over! (Shame on me). Thanks for the tip, Simon.

Social source share

Nice !

Thanx for the scan Seb (seeing as it was through u I first heard the track it's appropriate!).

Wow Jo, Micki Farrow ! Now thats what I call great information.

I'm going to ask something else as well - any chance of a scan and mp.3 of the flip of 'Thinkin'?

I had some info on the album which I now cant find but is it mostly spoken word? I know the album and 45 versions of 'Thinkin' are different but I've also been told the album came out in France- in French. Can any one confirm that ?

Social source share

And the lead vocal on the Voices Incorporated is Melba Smith.

Tomo

Managed to miss this post Alan- cheers for that ! I played 'Love Is Amazing" at "The Rocket" whenever that was so errr.. nah nah nah nah nah.. :yes:
Social source share

I'm going to ask something else as well - any chance of a scan and mp.3 of the flip of 'Thinkin'?

See and hear below.

I had some info on the album which I now cant find but is it mostly spoken word? I know the album and 45 versions of 'Thinkin' are different but I've also been told the album came out in France- in French. Can any one confirm that ?

Seeing as Voices Incorporated was a New York gospel ensemble, it seems highly unlikely that they would've recorded the entire album in french as well. A french pressing of the LP might exist though, I don't know. There are some spoken word tracks, but most of the LP is frantic gospel. The album is called "Roots - An Anthology Of Negro Music In America". I've attached a picture of the group below plsu some other stuff. One of the members in the group is one Garrett Saunders, I suspect that he might be the same artist who released "A Day Or Two" on Serock.

Voices__Incorporated___I_Turn_To_Jesus.mp3

post-1392-1144095914_thumb.jpg

post-1392-1144096334_thumb.jpg

post-1392-1144096373_thumb.jpg

post-1392-1144096409_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

MIKKI WAS A PART TIME SINGER AND WROTE QUITE A LOT OF STUFF--SHE RECORDED ON KARATE AND ANOTHER LABEL---CANT THINK AT THE MO---ITS BEEN A HARD DAY--WHAT DO YOU WANT TO KNOW---JO

star-vue?

group called the teques?

Shane

Social source share

as far as iknow mikki farrow had a hand in writing over half a dozen tunes with gamble-huff-robert martin and thomas bell--someThat spring to mind are WHAT I SEE REFLECTIONS OF YESTERDAY---JUST BECAUSE I REALLY LOVE YOU--TURN OUT MY FIRE--- ME TARZAN YOU JANE---I THINK SHE CUT A MODERN TRACK AS WELL UNDER THE NAME MIKKI----but not 100% certain

Social source share

See and hear below.

Seeing as Voices Incorporated was a New York gospel ensemble, it seems highly unlikely that they would've recorded the entire album in french as well. A french pressing of the LP might exist though, I don't know. There are some spoken word tracks, but most of the LP is frantic gospel. The album is called "Roots - An Anthology Of Negro Music In America". I've attached a picture of the group below plsu some other stuff. One of the members in the group is one Garrett Saunders, I suspect that he might be the same artist who released "A Day Or Two" on Serock.

See and hear below.

there is another lp

its a soundtrack of a off broadway 1968 play - The Believers - The Black Experience In Song wrote and performed by voices inc

African sequence --

Believers' chants -- Believers' lament -- Drum solo -- This old ship --

Where shall I go? -- What shall I believe in now? -- Field hollers and

work songs -- What shall I believe in Now? -- He's got the whole world

in his hands -- Jesus, the light of the world -- Sermon: The life of

Peter -- I turn to Jesus -- I'm so glad -- I just got in the city --

City blues -- You never really know -- Naked foot -- Early on morning

blues -- Daily buzz -- Children's games -- School don't mean a damn

thing -- I'm gonna do my thing -- Where do I go from here -- Burn this

town -- Learn to love -- Finale.

not sure like, but going by above seems that voices inc were more of

a cast thing than group and so maybe the french lp may be feasible as may have been put on there ?

on "thinkin'" Chalky pointed out that it is actually based on a coasters song called searching

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert