Freddie Scott Rip

Just read in the Independent obit's of the passing of Freddie Scott on the 4th of June, he was 74, well remember buying his records on London in '67, bought blind as the titles alone "Am I Grooving You" and "Are You Lonely For Me Baby" were evocative enough to make a young soul boy drool, and I wasn't disappointed.....I thought they were great soul records and respect must go to Bert Berns for signing up the talent that was Freddie Scott....Muchos Respect and thanks to Freddie Scott :thumbsup:

Edited by DelTee
Social source share

• Replies 26
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Just read in the Independent obit's of the passing of Freddie Scott on the 4th of June, he was 74, well remember buying his records on London in '67, bought blind as the titles alone "Am I Grooving You" and "Are You Lonely For Me Baby" were evocative enough to make a young soul boy drool, and I wasn't disappointed.....I thought they were great soul records and respect must go to Bert Berns for signing up the talent that was Freddie Scott....Muchos Respect :thumbsup:

A real bummer. At Kent, we've been preparing a CD of his best Columbia recordings for ages, just waiting on a few final tracks to clear before we could release it. Sadly it'll join the ever growing list of Soul memorial albums now...

Social source share

Only the other day I was playing the beautiful "Don't Let Me Fall" and marvelled at the quality in his vocal phrasing.

Of his Columbia material, the majestic Beat Ballad "It's Been That Way, All Of My Life" must surely be included, Tony.

RIP

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

At Kent, we've been preparing a CD of his best Columbia recordings for ages, just waiting on a few final tracks to clear before we could release it. Sadly it'll join the ever growing list of Soul memorial albums now...

:thumbsup: Life's just not fair sometimes.... Another good one gone. RIP Freddie

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

RIP, I have to dig out some track i got by him. remember getting off a friend who had a few soul records to sale.

Social source share

Guest Bogue

:) Hate keep reading these, but inevitable i suppose.

'I'll Be Gone' would be high in the list of my all time favourites, also love his version of 'Spanish Harlem'

R.I.P. Freddie, & thanks :thumbsup:

Social source share

:shades: Hate keep reading these, but inevitable i suppose.

'I'll Be Gone' would be high in the list of my all time favourites, also love his version of 'Spanish Harlem'

R.I.P. Freddie, & thanks :thumbsup:

I'll be gone....Will give it a play today for Freddie..Great record indeed and what a voice the man had..

steve

Social source share

I'll be gone....Will give it a play today for Freddie..Great record indeed and what a voice the man had..

steve

Powerful and emotive voice indeed.

Sad news

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

A very talented vocalist who was training to be a doctor before he opted for a musicial career.

Amongst a host of smooth as silk beat ballads I'd plump for the heartbreaking "Don't Let It End This Way" on Columbia.

For a more upbeat feel I'd choose "Brand New World" Colpix

Sadly missed.

Ps Has anyone encountered him during his stint as an actor ? I think he was in the film "No way out" (Gene Hackman) perhaps someone can confirm this.

Richard B

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share

Guest Goldwax

I went to see Freddie perform at a bar in New York 3 years ago and got speaking to him after the show. He asked for my number and said he would give me a bell soon so I gave him my business card and really didn't expect to hear from him. Next morning, bleary eyed at my desk at 10.00 am I answer the phone to 'Hey Craig it's Freddie Scott here.....'. A nicer gent you couldn't have met and he had so much passion for his music.

RIP Freddie.

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

I went to see Freddie perform at a bar in New York 3 years ago and got speaking to him after the show. He asked for my number and said he would give me a bell soon so I gave him my business card and really didn't expect to hear from him. Next morning, bleary eyed at my desk at 10.00 am I answer the phone to 'Hey Craig it's Freddie Scott here.....'. A nicer gent you couldn't have met and he had so much passion for his music.

RIP Freddie.

Great story that mate.

Social source share

Guest Dr Bob Jones

Can't find a clip or a scan of 'Hey Girl' .. Known a grown man cry at that one.

A sad loss ..

You know that Simsy

I grew up listening to 'Hey Girl', such a beautiful song, and the way he delivers

Quality pure quality........

RIP Freddie Scott, your music will live on .....

Dr Bob Jones

Social source share

You know that Simsy

I grew up listening to 'Hey Girl', such a beautiful song, and the way he delivers

Quality pure quality........

RIP Freddie Scott, your music will live on .....

Dr Bob Jones

Hey Girl, still sends shivers down my spine, lovely record. Unfortunately overshadowed in the UK by Duffy Power's version. Freddie's follow up, I Got A Woman, done as a slow song, is a good'un too.

Social source share

Freddie Scott

Singer of 'Hey Girl'

The Independent

06 June 2007

Spencer Leigh

Freddie Scott, singer: born Providence, Rhode Island 24 April 1933; married; died 4 June 2007.

In 1963, Freddie Scott cut a demonstration record of "Hey Girl", a new song by Gerry Goffin and Carole King. The intended recipient was the hit-making Chuck Jackson, but he turned the song down. Instead, Goffin and King liked Scott's voice so much that they recorded their own version with him. Phil Spector heard the results and said, "You've got to put that out. It's a smash." "Hey Girl" was a Top Ten US hit and became a club favourite in the UK, being covered by several beat groups of the time.

Scott was born in Providence, Rhode Island in 1933. In his early teens, he sang with his grandmother's gospel group the Gospel Keys, who performed in the UK in 1946. Freddie Scott studied medicine at the University of Rhode Island but gave it up for singing. He recorded his first solo single, "Running Home", for the small J&S label in 1956 and a succession of singles for independent labels, including "Baby, You're a Long Time Dead" for Joy.

Scott followed his success with the mesmerising, melancholic "Hey Girl" by having R&B hits with a revival of Ray Charles's "I Got a Woman" and the plaintive "Where Does Love Go?" He made the album Freddie Scott Sings and Sings and Sings (1963), which contained a fine ballad which deserved to be a single, "What Do I See In the Girl", written by Goffin with Jack Keller.

Scott moved to Columbia where the producer Clyde Otis dubbed him "the million-dollar baby" and had him crooning on "One Heartache Too Many" (1964). He did show tunes on the LP Everything I Have Is Yours (1964) and was more soulful on Lonely Man (1965). His final singles for the label were prophetically titled "Don't Let It End This Way" (1965) and "Forget Me If You Can" (1966).

In 1966, he was signed by Bert Berns, the producer, songwriter and owner of Shout Records. Berns, an intensely soulful individual, recorded over 100 takes of "Are You Lonely for Me?" with Scott. It was worth it, as the song topped the R&B charts for four weeks. Then Scott slowed down Solomon Burke's "Cry to Me" for a chart single and had further success with "Am I Grooving You?" He did well with the album Are You Lonely For Me?, but Berns's death at the end of 1967 meant that he was again on the move. His only further success was with a soul version of Bob Dylan's "I Shall Be Released" in 1970. Mostly, he wrote advertising jingles and took minor acting roles, appearing in the film of the Harold Robbins book Stiletto in 1969.

Scott's key tracks have frequently been reissued and in 1989 the rap singer Biz Markie used Scott's 1968 single, "(You) Got What I Need" for his own "Just a Friend". In 2001, Scott released his first album of new songs in 30 years, Brand New Man. On the Van Morrison tribute album Vanthology (2003), he performed "Brown-Eyed Man".

Edited by Simsy
Social source share

Only knew Mr Heartache before reading this post and sad news.

Awesome record along with several others that I will now listen to reguarly.

Listening to You Got what I Need as I type. Wonderful!!

Makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!!

RIP sir.

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert