Dee Dee Warwick

I've just got - and am listening to - the great new CD put out on her by Rhino / Real Gone which includes all of her Atlantic recordings. She is, of course, one of the great soul singers and I highly recommend it to anyone who buys CDs. I am nothing to do with any "Northern scene", so don't really know what the likelihood is of it ever being "played out", but it seems to me that the previously unreleased "You tore my wall down" would sound fantastic on a dance floor.  

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Great shout mate, both in Dee Dee and the CD world, there is so much out there at the moment that is simply mind blowing music that its criminal to ignore, and we should be discussing more, and yes Dee Dee is one of the truly great singers. I think I have 4 Albums by her and all are fantastic.

Do you know if this has been issued before, I was pretty sure I had bought a Dee Dee Atco CD last year? I have a few of these on French release maybe it was that, must check for tracklists as cannot remember track you mentioned.

If you like that, I suspect you will like the Irma Thomas below, a couple of tracks on there should be burning up the more 70's focussed gigs,  Mr Bulloch/Mr Taylor I am talking to you!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Full-Time-Woman-Cotillion-Album/dp/B00HQ0BTIE/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1407852425&sr=1-1&keywords=irma+thomas+full+time+woman

• Helpful 1
Social source share

No, I'm pretty sure the "You tore my wall down " track has not been released anywhere before and there are eleven more unreleased tracks on the CD as well.

Thanks for the Irma Thomas link but I did get that CD and although I love Irma, I must confess to being a bit disappointed by it as I thought a number of the songs were pretty ordinary.

Social source share

Do you know if this has been issued before, I was pretty sure I had bought a Dee Dee Atco CD last year? I have a few of these on French release maybe it was that, must check for tracklists as cannot remember track you mentioned.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Atco-Recordings-Dee-Warwick/dp/B00KTZAK1U/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1407853541&sr=1-1&keywords=dee+dee+warwick

Social source share

No, I'm pretty sure the "You tore my wall down " track has not been released anywhere before and there are eleven more unreleased tracks on the CD as well.

Thanks for the Irma Thomas link but I did get that CD and although I love Irma, I must confess to being a bit disappointed by it as I thought a number of the songs were pretty ordinary.

Okay, will purchase tonight. Real interesting release schedule from this group.

I agree the Irma one isn't consistent but thought there was enough good stuff to make it worth the purchase, there are certainly some tracks where she appears to be holding back.  I actually really like the Philly influenced one, but could understand why it might not appeal to Irma fans. ANd one that could burn up a dancefloor for me!

More CD tips always welcome!

Social source share

Well, they don't get much better than these two :

I see, as suspected, that I have no idea how to cut and paste a link that works, but the two I was trying to highlight were the superb Betty Swann Complete Atlantic recordings  and the Way Out label collection just put out by Numero. Both essential CDs.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eccentric-Soul-The-Way-Label/dp/B00L1O2DW2/ref=mb_oe_o

Don't have this yet, but will get it. The Eccentric label has released some amazing stuff, such off the wall labels etc, and great packaging

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Atlantic-Recordings-Bettye-Swann/dp/B00GJ7CSB2/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1407856631&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=complete+bettye+swann

And in my top 3 female singers so yes have this, and as you say sheer essential, mind blowing stuff.

Social source share

Great shout mate, both in Dee Dee and the CD world, there is so much out there at the moment that is simply mind blowing music that its criminal to ignore, and we should be discussing more, and yes Dee Dee is one of the truly great singers. I think I have 4 Albums by her and all are fantastic.

If you like that, I suspect you will like the Irma Thomas below, a couple of tracks on there should be burning up the more 70's focussed gigs,  Mr Bulloch/Mr Taylor I am talking to you!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Full-Time-Woman-Cotillion-Album/dp/B00HQ0BTIE/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1407852425&sr=1-1&keywords=irma+thomas+full+time+woman

I have an excellent unissued acetate from the mercury stables by her. Fantastic throw back style northern a bit like "worth every Tear"

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!