Ady Potts

• Replies 9
  • Views 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Mary Lou Williams was a very influential jazz pianist, not a vocalist, she ran an open house and taught Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker & Thelonious Monk amongst others. In the world of piano playing she was without doubt a genius.

She's made 100's of recordings including some really unusual albums including 'black Christ of the Andes' featuring a choir, and 'Mary Lou's Mass' featuring Carl Hall on vocals. Mary was her label. I've got a couple of 10" albums by her that are fantastic modal jazz trio pieces. I never knew about the 45 in this thread until a few years back and it sounds completely pants to me, and I'm not sure why Leon Thomas got involved either cos he's done loads of better stuff as well, but each to their own! Jazzman released a track each off the lp's mentioned above worth checking but they're jazz not um whatever the 45 here is ( sounds like something from a 50s strip movie to me lol)

Cheers Sutty

Edited by Sutty
Social source share

Mary Lou Williams was a very influential jazz pianist, not a vocalist, she ran an open house and taught Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker & Thelonious Monk amongst others. In the world of piano playing she was without doubt a genius.

She's made 100's of recordings including some really unusual albums including 'black Christ of the Andes' featuring a choir, and 'Mary Lou's Mass' featuring Carl Hall on vocals. Mary was her label. I've got a couple of 10" albums by her that are fantastic modal jazz trio pieces. I never knew about the 45 in this thread until a few years back and it sounds completely pants to me, and I'm not sure why Leon Thomas got involved either cos he's done loads of better stuff as well, but each to their own! Jazzman released a track each off the lp's mentioned above worth checking but they're jazz not um whatever the 45 here is ( sounds like something from a 50s strip movie to me lol)

Cheers Sutty

Appreciate your love for the amazing 'black christ...' lp, but 'you know baby' is r&b, you know, the popular black music of the time?

like lionel hampton, sun ra etc. good on her for branching out, she was obviously pretty hip, venturing into funk in the 60s too.

I dont think it's the best track; productions a bit tinny and that ending irritates but it's a pretty cool slab of jazzy r&b, early 60s would be my guess.]

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert