Don't Slam The Door

Chalky

There is/was an acetate on Youtube...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Larry-Marks-Sandy-Dont-Slam-Door-Rare-Northern-Soul-Acetate-45-HEAR-BOTH-/380860878703

Saus used to play a track covered up as Billy Joe Royal "Lost And Lonely", it is the Don't Slam The Door but I'm not sure if it is same singer, tape quality is pretty poor.  The tape is from 1993.  Did this get a release by anyone else or a 45 release by Larry Marks?

I'm not interested in whether you think it is sh*t or not, just after the facts.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

I reviewed that Leonard Whiting I'm sure as early as 1990 - 91, not covered up, but I remember getting it sent to me on a cassette with no artist on it and being told to try and find out who it was, might have been from Saus I don't know, definitely someone from Notts or Lincs I think...long time ago...which I did after an awful lot of hard work (there was no internet for reference back then) took me 6 months to get it I know that.  Sounds like a female as he was a child actor.

Social source share

The Larry Marks acetate states that it was for the VMC label.  I've just dug out a VMC listing and there is a 45 in it by "The David" entitled yep you guessed 'Don't Slam The Door In My Face'.  It is the flip to a track called 'Sandy'.

I can't find a sound file anywhere, does anyone have the 45 by any chance?  Does anyone have a sound file I could maybe listen to somehow?

Social source share

I've grabbed the eBay one Dave and although it is the same record it sounds like a different artist so it is the 'The David' I'm looking to listen to.  I have a tape on its way so hopefully a decent copy.  I can't find my Saus tapes in the garage.  

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Here's a titbit from Badcat....

"I've never seen it, but there's supposedly a fourth and final non-LP 45: 1968's 'Don't Slam The Door In My Face' b/w 'Sandy' (VMC catalog number V-717)"

From Band member Mark Bird...

A very complete a interesting compendium of the group. Most of the material is correct except that the single "Slam the Door in my Face" was not one of our songs. Warren and I were 16 and Tim and Chuck were 17 when we recorded the David album. We did the singles when I was fifteen. Thanks again for taking the time to write the review.

I assume from this that the acetate is a different artist

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!