• Replies 16
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

was a great night , shame i had to go early ish as had work

some great tunes played by everyone , cracking r&b from Mr JP :thumbup: and a great accross the board set from young brett.

russ and ray played their usual quailty sets

steve J was on next and got the dancefloor busy but shame i didnt manage to see carls set

Guest Andy Kempster

What a top QUALITY night once again at 'Club Caliente' Peterborough.

Full report to follow - added a few photographs to give you a 'flavour' of the evening's entertainment (Carl Fortnum DJ'ing and eating his Fish & Chips).

post-7608-1242472269_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Ray Mahoney

i dont think i have seen anything quite as bizarre as carl sitting down behind the decks enjoying fine dining whilst spinning a great set...hilarious

me and the mrs (!) :thumbup: had a great time, see you both soon

atb...andy

i dont think i have seen anything quite as bizarre as carl sitting down behind the decks enjoying fine dining whilst spinning a great set...hilarious

me and the mrs (!) :( had a great time, see you both soon

atb...andy

Yes, good to see you and "the Mrs" last night Andy! :D

More pics here + follow the link bellow!

post-7608-1242493379_thumb.jpg

Carl demonstrating what had been going on earlier at the A47 layby!!

post-7608-1242493427_thumb.jpg

Things getting messy for Carl here!

post-7608-1242493466_thumb.jpg

Johnny doing a Madonna impression with a couple of chip cones!

Some more photo's from last night: https://www.soul-source.co.uk/IMG-543...image65641.html

Ray

Edited by Raym

What a cracking night last night! Fun and frolics mixed in with some QUALITY Soul played by some top guys to superb crowd. Those that didn't make it last night missed one of the best nights I've been to over the last few years.

The DJ mix provided the right mix of Soul from the 60's, 70's thru' to Modern, Old, New, Forgotten thru' to the classics from the nighters and soul nights of yesteryear.

First up on the decks was Jamie Parr who entertained the early doors crowd with some rocking R&B mixed in with some cracking 60's soul - stand out track for me being Darrow Fletcher "My young misery". Seen this for sale many a time over the years and never picked one up - now I want one cant get it!! Play list Jamie please!

Next I was on as part of an hour special with Russ (30 mins each) to highlight some of the superb tracks that you will here at 'The City' club in Peterborough where both Russ and I are resident DJ's for my monthly soul nights. My play list below. Russ followed me with a superb 30 mins the dance floor seeing the tell tale puffs of white powder (talc!) signalling folk getting up for a dance. Once they were there that was it - a busy dance floor for the rest of the night.

Play list Russ?

Next up Russ and I were chuffed to see 'Young Brett Smith' fresh from his recent debut at the 100 Club. I great mix of 60's and 70's from Brett. I would definitely say Brett Smith and Jamie Parr are up and coming youngsters and names to look out for in the future. Russ and I via 'The City' are doing our bit to give these youngsters a chance to DJ and this will ensure a steady flow (although more like a trickle of new, young fresh faces joining the scene to keep it alive when a fair number of soulies are well in their 50's - another 10 years will be well in their 60's!! we need these youngsters).

Next on the top man himself and back by popular request - Mr Steve Jay (looking a lot healthier than last time - tanned and rested following a week in Cyprus - lucky sod!!) who entertained us with a lively set of mainly 70's, 80' thru Modern. Play list Steve?

Then Carl Fortnum arrived with a couple of record boxes (rather neat looking boxes - you'd expect that being hand made by Carl - can you make me one mate?) he also had this tatty cardboard box and having just come from the now infamous A47 lay-by I darn't ask what was inside it!! Carl then sits down at the decks and starts DJ'ing whilst tucking into fish and chips!! Cant believe it - Carl squirting tomato sauce on his chips with one hand and queuing in likes of Johnny Rogers "Make a change" with the other!! Check out the photos.

Play list Carl? If not, I noted a few of Carl's spins:

Johnny Rogers, Delegates of Soul, Betty Wilson, Four Tracks, Frank Foster, Bits and Pieces, Vickki Baines, Sammy Ward, Enjoyables "Shame", James Fountain ....

Russ and I then finished off in our usual fashion with plenty of banter going on double decking for the last hour through till 2am.

Here is what I played:

VERNON GARRETT - SHINE IT ON - UK ACTION

CARL CARLTON - BAD FOR EACH OTHER - UK ACTION

RAY CHARLES - I CHOSE TO SING THE BLUES - UK HMV

THE SHEPPARDS - STUBBORN HEART - UK JAY BOY

CECIL WASHINGTON - I DON'T LIKE TO LOOSE - PROPHONICS

MOTOR CITY SOUND - I DREAM OF YOU - TUNA

THE LARKS - FOR THE LOVE OF MONEY - AROCK

THE COMPANIONS - BE YOURSELF - GENERAL AMERICAN

TROY DODDS - TRY MY LOVE - EL CAMINO

LITTLE JOHNNY HAMILTON - OH HOW I LOVE YOU - DORE

THE CHANDLERS - YOUR LOVE MAKES ME LONELY - COLSOUL

MARION STEWART - I MUST BE LOSING YOU - R RECORDS

THE "Q" - THAT'S THE WAY - HOUND

JOYCE KENNEDY - IM A GOOD GIRLS - BLUE ROCK

CLYDIE KING SOFT & GENTLE WAYS - IMPERIAL

RAY POLLARD - THIS TIME - SHRINE

THE CAUTIONS - NO OTHER WAY - SHRINE

GENE TOONES - WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT - SIMCO

THE MATADORS - YOUD BE CRYING - KEITH

THE COMPLIMENTS - THE TIME OF HER LIFE - CONGRESS

DONALD JENKINS - SOMEBODY HELP ME - CORTTLAND

TIMI YURO - IT WILL NEVER BE OVER FOR ME - UK LIBERTY

STEVE MANCHA - DID MY BABY CALL - WHEELSVILLE

Good to see so such a great crowd with everyone up for a great night.

Nice one Russ.

Ray Mahoney

post-7608-1242502588_thumb.jpg

(Lenny D inspired)

Edited by Raym

bloody hell "burger boy" your getting good at these lookbacks! as ray as already said it was a excellent night

a top crowd of soulies, excellent dj guests, fantastic venue, all this and awesome homemade fish n chips!!

they were the "pollocks" just ask carlos :sleep3: as he hadnt eaten i brought him the the biggest piece of fish

pam could muster up!! fook was one of the true classic sole moments, was even funnier when he turned the

decks of midway though one of his rarities :D see pictures

as already said top spots from the "youngsters" brett and jamie these guys need more oppotunities to show

there skills!!

as always a top class performance from the "top man" himself steve jay and his admiring posse of followers.

great to see soulies from huntingdon, st.ives, stamford, spalding, bedford, wisbech, sheffield, biggleswade, hitchin, cambridge.

corby, travelling to this great smart friendly venue. thankyou

must say was really nice to see winnie looking so well :shhh:

i really do believe this venue could be a real corker

ok my playlist;

9.30 - 10pm

the v.i.ps - strange little girl - congress

jimmie reed jnr - i aint going no where - mercury

cajun hart - got to find a way - wbs

phyllis brown - why - rainbo

tammy wayne - have a good time - boom

soulville allstars - im gonna get to you - soulville

malcolm hayes - searchin for my baby - chattahoochee

robert young - your future - soulsations

gerri hall - who can i run to - hotline

leo price - hey now baby - updown

george hughley - do the beatle - gaye

george wydell - from out of nowhere - tangerine

1 - 2am double decking with burger boy

anthony & the imperials - its not the same - veep

duke browner - crying over you - impact

adlibs - new york in the dark - agp

tommy bush - i dont like it - rika

the deadbeats - no second chance - strata

douglas banks - aint that just like a woman - guyden

jim martin - dont cha know - copa

milford perkins - thats what i am - preview

mark loyd - when im gonna find her - uk parlophone

helen shapiro - he knows how to love me - uk columbia

think thats it, and lastly thanks ray for all your support and help

russ

Edited by russoul1

Well we had a great time as always at this event ,even had some very nice fish and chips ,however I might have encouraged Carl little as he finished off my last few chips , then he goes and orders his own during my set and ended up with his right at the start of his set , as seen in the photos laugh.gif .

good to catch up with everyone again ,thanks for inviting me back to play a few again , heres what I remember playing in approx the right order :D

ARETHA FRANKLIN I CANT WAIT UNTIL I SEE MY BABYS FACE

THE STOPPERS COME BACK BABY

THE ETHICS I WANT MY BABY BACK

THE INNERSECTION IM IN DEBT TO YOU

STEVENS AND FOSTER I WANT TO BE LOVE

EUGENE SMILEY YES ITS YOU

SMOKE IM SO GLAD YOU CAME ALONG

BOBBY PATTERSON IM IN LOVE WITH YOU

CHUCK JACKSON WHATS WITH THIS LONELINESS

BOBBY HUTTON COME SEE WHATS LEFT OF ME

RHONDA DAVIS CAN YOU REMEMBER

THE DIFFERENCES FIVE MINUTES

TEARRA JUST LOVING YOU

JAY PLAYER LOVE IS THE ANSWER

THE OJAYS TO PROOVE THAT I LOVE YOU

BOTTOM & CO GONNA FING A TRUE LOVE

DAVID RUFFIN QUESTIONS

SEAN OLIVER YOU & ME

REGGIE SOUL WELCOME TO MY WORLD OF ECSTACY

Nice that lots of these records were requests , thanks everyone thumbup.gif

steve

great nite again! thanks for having me on and again for the great comments!

next city il drop in as its my birthday and the lads wanna take me out in pboro so il drop in to have a listen and get them to listen to some top tunes!

see you all on the 5th or before.

ATB

'Young Brett'

This was my first Soul night (apart from Soul Essence weekend in April) for quite some time.

Couldn't have chosen a better night.

Well done to everyone involved & looking forward to the next.

Pete Mattock

thanks pete hope you got back to your hotel ok!

am looking to book next event in july might try a saturday, was a cracking night

thanks to everyone who attended and brought fish n chips

russ

I had a really good night, very sexy little venue, loads of potential. Musically very good, something for everyone (as it should be) and a friendly crowd.

Winnie :-)

Hi Winnie, you summed it up rather well.

Nice one Russ - I recon this little baby is gonna fly mate!

Ray

Edited by Raym

Another super do @ Club Caliente, spent in the company of St.Ives version of Ant & Dec...........also known as Martin "St.Ives 68" & Johnny "That was Whisky talking" 1.

If you want to see the Jekyll & Hyde effect, just buy Johnny lots of Whisky, as he really is a different bloke on that stuff............Fab entertainment though!!! shhh.gif

Its a great venue, decent bar prices, tea & coffee available & excellent Fish & Chips...............just ask Mr. Fortnum & that's before we even touch on the music.

Also nice to see a few more locals starting to attend..................but still more needed i.m.h.o. :unsure:

A Saturday night would be better, especially with my work comms etc.

thanks again,

John Mc.

Another super do @ Club Caliente, spent in the company of St.Ives version of Ant & Dec...........also known as Martin "St.Ives 68" & Johnny "That was Whisky talking" 1.

If you want to see the Jekyll & Hyde effect, just buy Johnny lots of Whisky, as he really is a different bloke on that stuff............Fab entertainment though!!! shhh.gif

Its a great venue, decent bar prices, tea & coffee available & excellent Fish & Chips...............just ask Mr. Fortnum & that's before we even touch on the music.

Also nice to see a few more locals starting to attend..................but still more needed i.m.h.o. :unsure:

A Saturday night would be better, especially with my work comms etc.

thanks again,

John Mc.

hi john thanks for your feedback, always a real pleasure to see you and dot. what is evident at this venue is people

enjoying themselves and not taking the evening to seriously, which makes for a fantastic friendly atmosphere imo.

sorry john have tried to book a saturday date for july but all have been taken sad.gif

but have booked a saturday date in august for a possible bank holiday special :) watch this space

THE NEXT INSTALMENT OF "SOLE N CHIPS" @ "CLUB CALIENTE" FRIDAY 24TH JULY see events for details

regards

russ

Edited by russoul1
Guest gibber

A top night , good music , great deejays thanks Steve & Carl for playing my requests , young Brett going from strength to strength .. Nice friendly, crowd good to see Winston, Mel, Andy Christine , baz& shaz , martin & john, Helen ,liam & his dad, Adam ,, the Spalding posse and many more ,

Great venue Russ got great potential . yes.gif

the fish &chips looked nice :tumbleweed3:

See you soon