• Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

David Flynn has a very good listing of cover-ups on his site

https://www.capitolsoulclub.homestead.com/key.html

link

Thanks for that Dave, but link (assuming thats what it is) on main page to cover ups is dead.

Not all bad news though, link to radio section is good - Now listening to a good (mellow) set from Keb Darge in Japan

Back to The Cautions I'll try & MP3 it if its not obvious.

Col.

Social source share

Advised by the man in the know its Willie & West (also know as Willie & the Magnificents?)

This track is off an album. Is there a single with a different version?

Any one know who covered it up? Is it now fairly common?

Thanks for looking.

Col.

Edited by Soulsmith
Social source share

Advised by the man in the know its Willie & West (also know as Willie & the Magnificents?)

This track is off an album. Is there a single with a different version?

Any one know who covered it up? Is it now fairly common?

Thanks for looking.

Col.

link

I am not aware of any single, might be an acetate or something around of course. The album should be possible to find I think but I don't reckon it is fairly common. Don't know for sure though.

Social source share

link

What he also said is that to his ears it sounds slightly different. Mind you its lucky he remember who it was and the title and he is not the best at remembering records at the best of times and he is lsightly mad...

Go to soulclub and take a listen to Willie & West and see if you notice a difference between that and the one you've posted Col. Le tme know, please! wink.gif

Social source share

What he also said is that to his ears it sounds slightly different. Mind you its lucky he remember who it was and the title and he is not the best at remembering records at the best of times and he is lsightly mad...

Go to soulclub and take a listen to Willie & West and see if you notice a difference between that and the one you've posted Col. Le tme know, please!  wink.gif

link

Dave that John Weston is a handsome bastard almost as good looking as me. I just spoke to him and he says for god sake dont post up the one where hes shagging the sheep

Social source share

This is from the Willie & West "At Their Best" album on Stang. At one time a reasonably commonplace lp, but the first one I've seen in a couple of years was sighted at Cleethorpes and had a pricetag of £150.

It's a pretty good album throughout, with a bit of everything: a couple of "northernish" tracks like the one above, some fairly reasonable crossover and a couple of really excellent, very deep ballads (one of which is on 45, but I can't recall the title off the top of my head). Willie (Feaster) recorded before and after this as Willie & The Mighty Magnificents on All Platinum and (maybe?) Turbo. Don't know what became of the other member of the duo, West, but he was a decidedly able vocalist with a great gospel voice if the album is a fair representation of his talents.

I should add that I don't think it's worth £150... a bit of digging should secure one for quite a bit less.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Thanks for the info Gareth - much appreciated.

I think you are right the lead singer is def Willie Feaster.

On first plays this does sound like Willie & West. But after a couple of plays I can see where Dave Abbott is coming from. There are 2 versions of this record. The Willie & West version is flat by comparison. The version I've posted up is def. more uptempo & manic. It also has added sax breaks.

I don't know how to post up for comparison the version by Willie & West from www.soulclub.org/

But its def. different.

Col.

The version I've posted up is the best version shades.gif

Edited by Soulsmith
Social source share

Hmmm... It is quite different isn't it. The most obvious difference being the sax break. Is it from one of the Willie & The Mighty Magnificents albums (re)released in Japan? Must say I prefer the version with West myself: as I stated above I think he had a really great voice, but the version Colin has provided is still very interesting.

I should have mentioned above that this was first played by IL at Blackpool Mecca: I trust this additional version is not his handiwork?

Social source share

Hmmm... It is quite different isn't it. The most obvious difference being the sax break. Is it from one of the Willie & The Mighty Magnificents albums (re)released in Japan? Must say I prefer the version with West myself: as I stated above I think he had a really great voice, but the version Colin has provided is still very interesting.

I should have mentioned above that this was first played by IL at Blackpool Mecca: I trust this additional version is not his handiwork?

link

I think this was def. recorded by a lone Willie. Can't believe I just wrote that.

Have the LP in front of me still covered up as the Cautions. I suppose I could throw caution to the wind and try de-frocking it.

Didn't know it was played at the Mecca. I should also say I have no idea how I acquired the record.

Col.

Ps have a good time Saturday at your 'pop star' wedding.....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert