Monumental Soul Weekend

Guest mickc

Well what a weekend non stop great music from getting there Friday half 5 till leaving 4 on Sunday not one DJ stands out to me as personally thought they all done great job well. Atmosphere was 1st class good crowd of freindly people well done to all Niki how did you manage to organise the weather red hot all weekend

Once again thanks to Niki & all at MonuMental for a Fantastic weekend

Mick & Co:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

• Replies 27
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest D'Arcy

Fantastic weekend, such a refreshing take on the soul scene. Exellent sound system, that makes such a difference to an event. thumbsup.gif The venue worked superbly once a few gremlins were ironed out.

Exellent music right throughout the weekend, from the obscure, the forgotten about to anthems played in the right places. Some £5.00 records that sounded so good to £1.000.00 + records, that also sounded great.

Fantastic laid back atmosphere and so friendly. Amazingly the dance floor was full throughout the whole weekend, from Breakfast to sparrow's fart.

So many good laughs and great to be able to catch up with so many people sitting out in the fabulous sunshine.

It was a fun, entertaining and musically briliant weekend.

Well done to Niky, Girth, Mole and Nelly, a fantastic weekend and a great acheivement.

Would I go back again, you bet,thumbup.gifthumbup.gif and so would everyone else who attended, judging by the comments floating about.

Guest D'Arcy

I'd like to echo Mick's sentiments by adding my thanks to Niki, Mole & Girth on a cracking weekender! Let's do it all again soon! Many, many thanks!

Paul, thanks to you too for the COMPANY SHED heads up, what a cracking meal we had. thumbsup.gif

Fantastic weekend, such a refreshing take on the soul scene. Exellent sound system, that makes such a difference to an event. thumbsup.gif The venue worked superbly once a few gremlins were ironed out.

Exellent music right throughout the weekend, from the obscure, the forgotten about to anthems played in the right places. Some £5.00 records that sounded so good to £1.000.00 + records, that also sounded great.

Fantastic laid back atmosphere and so friendly. Amazingly the dance floor was full throughout the whole weekend, from Breakfast to sparrow's fart.

So many good laughs and great to be able to catch up with so many people sitting out in the fabulous sunshine.

It was a fun, entertaining and musically briliant weekend.

Well done to Niky, Girth, Mole and Nelly, a fantastic weekend and a great acheivement.

Would I go back again, you bet,:thumbup::thumbup: and so would everyone else who attended, judging by the comments floating about.

Very well put...........echo your sentiments exactly.

Russ

Darcy summed it up beautifully. Fantastic weekend of music, people and weather. Many congratulations to the MonuMENTAL team and all the great DJs, you played a blinder. It was a pleasure to be amongst so many happy friendly Soul People for a weekend. I'll echo "Let's Do It Again"....soon!, Cheers Ady

Well what can I add to the comments already made about this wonderful weekend? It was the best weekender I've been to this year, and that is no criticism of the others I've attended in 2009: Prestatyn, Soul Essence and Cleethorpes.

From the moment it was announced there seemed to be great enthusiasm and anticipation for it. And that was justified.

My good friend Malcolm Took kindly took care of the driving, picking me up from my house where I'd been joined by Bernadette, who could hardly contain herself. It was a good journey down with only one problem, I missed Junction 28 on the M25, and we had to go back but after that everything was plain sailing.

We arrived in Clacton at about 3 pm, parked right outside the hotel I was staying, as was Bernadette who was sharing with Annie and Laura. Dave Swift, my roommate, had arrived earlier, and it was simply a case of unpacking my stuff, and waiting until 4 pm when we could go to the venue round the corner for the music.

We weren't the first there by any means, and it seemed that half the people who'd been at Boomerang the previous Saturday were there.

I'm not going into who played what; suffice to say that the music was superb. A wide range was covered, a bit of Northern Soul, loads of Crossover and 70s and 80s Modern. Most of the time the dance floor was busy, but even when it was quiet the listeners were enjoying the sounds played.

The sound system was very good, well done to Del and Spenny, and thanks for your help when I did my set.

There were minor problems, e.g. in the Lemon Tree Hotel we were told that there would not be any breakfasts served, but we went round to the venue and got our breakfasts there. I hadn't been to Clacton for years, think it must have been in the 70s or early 80s; I thought it would be a really grotty resort. But actually it wasn't, or not the bits I saw. Hope that doesn't offend anyone, perhaps we've got the Clacton tourist officer reading this, lol. And of course the weather was brilliant, felt like you were in the south of France.

It finished just past 6 pm on Sunday, and we were all sorry it was ending. The general feeling was that we hoped there would be another one next year. But of course it's a lot of work to organise and run this sort of thing; we don't know the problems that Niki and co had. We can but hope.

Well done to the MonuMental trio, Niki, Mole and Gareth, and to their helpers and families. Thank you very much for a great time.

We got stuck in a big jam on the A12 but otherwise had a good journey home, thanks Malcolm.

For anyone interested here's my playlist at 12 noon on Sunday. I had quite a few dancing to some of these, thanks to everyone for that.

Mel Britt - She'll Come Running Back - FIP

Lee Williams & The Cymbals - It's Everything About You - Carnival

Brenda & The Tabulations - That's In The Past - Dionn

The Girls - The Hurt's Still Here - Memphis

Marvin Gaye - I'm Gonna Give You Respect - Motown CD - cut at Vinyl Carvers

Kumano - I'll Cry For You - Prelude

Norman Connors - Take It To The Limit - Arista

The Main Ingredient - Evening Of Love - Expansion

Eloise Laws - 1000 Laughs - ABC

Marva Hicks - Looking Over My Shoulder - Infinity

Tavares With Freda Payne - I Wanna See You Soon - Capitol Promo UK

Jean Carne - Was That All It Was - PIR

Honey Cone - If I Can't Fly - Hot Wax

Moment Of Truth - So Much For Love - Salsoul

Dunn & Bruce Street - The Moment Of Truth - Devaki

The Rotations - When He Slowly Moves Away From You - Toxanne

Anita Baker - Sweet Love - Elektra

Walter Jackson - It's An Uphill Climb To The Bottom - Okeh

Marlena Shaw - Looking Thru The Eyes Of Love - Cadet

Echo all of the above comments, great people, music and a first class effort on behalf of Niki,Girth,Neil,Mole and Darcy for sorting out air con.

Here are my playlists first one was Friday about 8pm second Saturday 11pm and it was nice to be able to play totally different sets.

Friday early evening set Johnny Gilliam - Baby take me backBarbara Lynn -You're losing meJoy-tones - This loveOllie Nightingale - I don't know why I love youMilt Mathews - All these changesKent Drake - Boss thing togetherEmotions -So i can love youDee Dee Warwick - Foolish foolJackey Beavers -Bring me all of your heartachesO Jays - I dig your actKim Weston - I'm still loving youLovelites - I'm not like the othersCurtis Mayfield - Love to keep you in my mindSoul Children - Midnight sunshineCM lord -Oh mama your daughters a woman tonightBetty Wright - lifeBettye Crutcher - Up for a let down Saturday night spot Basic black & pearl - there'll come a time there'll come a dayLoleatta Holloway - DreaminStaple Singers- Trippin on your loveGeneral Johnson -Don't walk awayCarol anderson - Sad girlEmotions - FlowersLoleatta Holloway - I can't help myselfDorothy moore - Girl overboardJean Plum - look at the boyBobby Womack - Come L'amorePioneers - My good friend JamesJackie Moore - Both ends against the middleDavid Ruffin - QuestionsTrammps - Stop and thinkRhyze - BizzaarOtis Clay - Only way is upJackie moore - Somebody loves youJackie Wilson - I don't want to lose you

Edited by binsy

Here's my Sunday 5-6pm contribution:

STAN IVORY - COME LIVE WITH ME - TESE DJ

OTIS JACKSON - BEGGIN' FOR A BROKEN HEART - MEGA

DON GARDNER - WE'RE GONNA MAKE IT BIG - MASTER 5 DJ

COREY BLAKE - HOW CAN I GO ON WITHOUT YOU - CAPITOL

MELVIN MOORE - ALL OF A SUDDEN - SKY HERO

TIMELESS LEGEND - I WAS BORN TO LOVE YOU - DAWN LITE

ULTIMATES - GIRL I'VE BEEN TRYING TO TELL YOU - BR-ROMA

PRO-FASCINATION - I WANT TO WRAAP YOU IN MY ARMS - MOT

ROBERT TANNER - SWEET MEMORIES - MEGATONE

JAMES PHELPS - THE LOOK ON YOUR FACE - APACHE

ARTHUR ALEXANDER - I NEED YOU BABY - MONUMENT DJ

SWEET JAMES EPPS - LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT - MOTORPOOL

JAZZIE CAZZIE & EIGHT SOUNDS - YOUNG GIRL - KNAP TOWN

SARAH VAUGHAN - FOOL ON THE HILL - ATLANTIC DJ

MILTON PARKER - WOMEN LIKE IT HARDER - CLOSET

STEP BY STEP - I ALWAYS WANTED TO BE IN THE BAND - Spanish ZAFIRO

and a couple of Northern bits to finish up

AL WILLIAMS - I AM NOTHING - PALMER DJ

HERMAN LEWIS - WHO'S KISSING YOU TONIGHT - STONE BLUE DJ

Big props to all the Monumental crew!

must say without being to negative me and my partner did not enjoy the weekend, in fact we left early both nights, without going in to to much detail certainly the venue/pub where the weekender was held was not what we expected. we did talk to a few nice people but in general felt uncomfortable. I also feel that if you pay for armbands someone should be on the door checking them.! That said what music did hear enjoyed , but no wouldn`t go again.

Blinking Flip, just recovered!!!!  Had a great time, what all weekenders should be like!! Here's my playlist from the Sunday afternoon.

Album Cuts

Gene Townsel - I'm Walking Away

Mandrill - Too Late

Ralph Graham - Ain't No Need

7's

Freda Payne                    - We've Gotta Find A Way Back To Love

Basic Black & Perl             - There'll Come A Time, There'll Come A Day

The Charisma Band              - Ain't Nothing Like Your Love

Sam Baker                      - It's All Over

The Bitter & The Sweet         - I Wont Have Any Babies For You

Bobby Hutton                   - Come See What's Left Of Me

Essex IV                       - My Heart Just Can't Take It

Brenton Wood - Better Believe It

Towana & The Total Destruction - Wear Your Natural, Baby

Dee Edwards                    - (I Can) Deal With That

Willie Tee                     - First Taste Of Hurt

Willie Fisher                  - Put Your Lovin On Me

George Perkins                 - I'm So Glad You're Mine

Vivian Reed                    - Save Your Love For Me

Cynthia Sheeler                - I'll Cry Over You

Can we do it all again please?

must say without being to negative me and my partner did not enjoy the weekend, in fact we left early both nights, without going in to to much detail certainly the venue/pub where the weekender was held was not what we expected. we did talk to a few nice people but in general felt uncomfortable. I also feel that if you pay for armbands someone should be on the door checking them.! That said what music did hear enjoyed , but no wouldn`t go again.

Find it strange that you felt uncomfortable as I think everyone else felt relaxed and enjoyed themselves if you didnt like the first night why go back for more punishment the second night .excl.gif

Niki /Gareth /Mole and all at Monumental wouldnt read to much into this cant wait for the 1st Anniversary of MonuMental soul weekendersthumbsup.gif

one bad night doesnt usually make two ! on this occasion it did ( for us ) ! like i said its an opinion not really bothered if the promoters read anything into it.

Having now fully recovered and having taken the time to digest all the above comments, I thought I'd add my own words.

Firstly thank you for all the praises heaped on me but as you know ,I'm just the person who stopped the men in white coats taking Niki away in the lead up (and indeed during) the weekend.

Full marks go to Niki, Gareth & Mole who've put their necks & money on the line to bring you 5+ years of MonuMENTAL Soul. It would have been much easier of course not to put on this weekend, but persevered through and boy, they smashed it!! thumbup.gif

For me it worked totally, because I think no-one really knew what they would hear and that showed in the enthusiasm shown from the cheapies to expensive tunes played. Every DJ played a blinder, with no egos involved with a totally across the board selection. Well done to you all!

Well done to you D'arcy, our in house aircon man for getting some of those fans working. thumbsup.gif I suspose a Part P certificate is out of the question?? laugh.gif

Thank you to everyone who came along, as of course it would not have happened without any of you. It was fantastic to see so many people still dancing at 6pm on Sunday without showing any signs of wanting to leave. A particular mention must go to the Wakefield City Soul collective, who could have a party in a telephone box!!

Here's what I played (in no particular order)

Friday night

Pretenders - I call it Love

Newcomers - The whole world's a picture show

Mark IV - Signs of a dying love

Anthony White - Hey Baby

Jackie Wilson - Just be sincere

Eboney Essence - Let me in

Johnny Bristol - Love no longer has a hold on me

Caviar - Never stop loving you

Luther Vandross - Sugar & Spice

Frankie Gearing - Spinning top

Lloyd Price - You brought it on yourself

Peabo Bryson - Love from your heart

Bill Spoon - I bet you can't love me one time

Del Davis - Baby don't wake me

Harold Melvin - Bad luck

Saturday Afternoon

Mildred Clark - Keep trying

Kool Blues - Can we try love again

Ron & Embracers - You came into my heart

Triplettes - That man of mine

Turn a rounds - I need your loving

Pat Johnson - East of the sun

Johnny Thompson - Given up on love

Bobby Hill - Tell me you love me

Kittie Doswell - A face in the crowd

Ron Keith - Can't live without you

Sly Slick & Wicked - Sho nuff

Temptations - Smooth sailing

Blue Magic - Can I say I love you

Alton Ellis - Sho-be-do-be-do

Beres Hammond - Stand by

Gene Chandler - Love is growing deeper

Artie Bluesboy White - Love you don't know about

Darian Keith Horn - Move into your season

Bring on No. 2.....Let's 'ave it! yes.gif

If you missed out on the Starpoint Radio broadcast you can listen to the individual shows here:

Niki: https://www.zshare.ne...MonumentalOnSea

John Pearson: https://www.zshare.ne...97458409d4a420/

Binsy: https://www.zshare.ne...9784195a66d375/

Mole: https://www.zshare.ne...9793064d380b43/

Mark Houghton https://www.zshare.ne...9808747510e39c/

A huge thanks to Zane for recording the duration of the broadcast.

ps. It's a shame you didn't really enjoy yourself SAS, but you say you met some nice people and you enjoyed the music you did hear. I'd consider that not all bad as we all know you can't please all the people all the time.

Edited by tsu tomatoes

Great weekend,was good to met up with some many friends,had a right laugh,good atmosphere and top music by everyone.thumbup.gif

Big thx to Niki,Mole and Girth for putting on a top soul weekend.Considering all the problems they got from the hotel management i think they did a top job getting throu it without spoiling the weekend.good.gif

Just one more thing which hasn`t been said,how many soul weekends are still going strong at 6-7 on Sunday nite at the finale.Fair play to the wakefield crew and those that stayed till the end.smile.gif

Here`s my set on Sunday at 16.00:

You got me hung up-King Tutt 7".

Welcome to my door-Spaceark 7".

I feel a song-The brothers Gilmore 7".

Talkin-Vee Gees 7".

Look at me,look at me-Vernon Greene 7".

Forever and a day-Mel+Tim 7".

It`s not the world that`s messed up-Tapestry 7".

Joy-Larrington Walker 7".

You put a hurtin on me-Mary Mundy lp.

Don`t you know you`re the yes-Dolly Gilmore 7".

Heartaches and pain-Pages 7".

You`re the one-Candy Bars 7"(Request)

I wanna thank you-Sonny Carver 7".

Yes it`s you-Eugene Smiley 7".

I don`t need no fortune teller-Ad Libs 7".

Are you choosing-Gifted four 7".

Mainline is sunshine-The flyers lp.

Just a chance in life-The Last Generation 7".

Turn it around-Hiram and Direct(Request) 7".

Be my love-C.J.Surge 12".

P.s When is the next onelaugh.gif

Guest Brett F

AWESOME WEEKEND AND SIMPLY THE BEST I'VE EVER ATTENDED............NIKI, GARETH, MOLE AND NEIL................YOU SMASHED IT UP...............

MY PLAYLIST SATURDAY AFTERNOON....(IN NO ORDER.THINK THIS WAS THE LOT)

MJ WADE - I'M GONNA BALL BABY - HELVA 12"

BRAD LUNDY - BREAKING POINT - LUNDY (BAHAMAS)

MATT BROWN - EVERDAY - JAR-VAL

DOLLY GILMORE - DON'T YOU KNOW YOU'RE THE YES - DOVE

WILLIE WADE - COME INTO MY WORLD - NITE LIFE

DEE EDWARDS - DEAL WITH THAT - DE-TO

BRENDA JONES - BIG MISTAKE - MERCURY DEMO

NATE EVANS - MAIN SQUEZE - TWINIGHT DEMO

ANNA RAYE - WILL YOU LOVE MY CHILD - QUALITY SOUND

LEONARD ADAIR - THAT SMILE UPON YOUR FACE - STAGE PRODUCTION

JERRY WASHINGTON - DON'T WASTE MY TIME - GLADES

JOHNNY MAE MATTHEWS - I HAVE NO CHOICE - BIG HIT

WILLIE TEE - FIRST TATE OF HURT - GATUR

TOWANA AND THE TOTAL DESTRUCTION - WEAR YOUR NATURAL, BABY - ROMARK

MAXINE BROWN - BELLA MIA - AVCO UK

AL CHRISTIAN - I'M A LONELY MAN - CHANT

CORNELL GUNTER - LOVE IN MY HEART - TOGETHER

THE TERRIBLE FRANKIE NIEVES - TRUE LOVE - SPEED

H. ANDREWS - STEPPIN' OUT - BALANCE

CARMELITA - ROSEBUD - CARMEN

ALICE CLARK - DON'T YOU CARE - MAINSTREAM LP DEMO

BRETT F

Edited by Brett F

As some of you may know, Niki has had a problem with her back for a while which has taken a turn for the worse. sad.gif

Hopefully a lumbar CT scan next week will reveal a bit more. She's currently bedbound and unable to respond at the moment.

She will respond in due course personally, but has asked me to say a few brief words for her. She says thank you to everyone for the fantastic response and to everyone who attended and also played brilliant tunes.

She'll be on here soon with playlists, etc.

Guest Marcus B

Just to re-itererate what a Fandabbitastico Weekend of Soul and Friends alike (alas and the dreaded drink which passed my lips too much!!!)

Sorry for lateness of playlist but here's some Sofa Soul and Fav's that I played and some newies thrown in. .....(7's unless ment'd.)

Jerry Warren - I Really Love You (Latosia )- 12"

God's Gift To Women - Stop To Think It Over (Listening Post)

Patience - This Is All I Can Say (Sounds On Solid Ground)

Sammy Relford - Hey Love (Space City) We are Stronger - LP

Jahari -Situations (Goth)

7 Miles High - She's Gone Away (Gerim)

Louisiana Purchase Baby Come Back (Basin Street)

Mighty Pope - If You Want A Love Affair (RCA)

Almetta Lattimore - These Memories (Mainstream)

Bessie Banks - Don't you worry baby,The best is yet to come (Quality)

Dorothy Moore - Girl Overboard (Malaco)

Freddie Lee - Brighter Days (Beyond Comprehension CD)

Marvin Webb - It's Time For Love (s/t CD)

Hope ya back and up and about soon Niki x

Thanks, Marcus

x

It was a pleasure and a privilege to be a small part of the 1st Monumental-on-sea.

This was by far one of the best weekenders I've attended, and if you weren't there you missed a corker.

Let's hope number one becomes number two quickly!

NIKI, GARETH, MOLE AND NEIL great work, you smashed it !

Here's my playlist from Saturday night.......apologies have no idea what I played on Friday....although Noreen reminds me I did play Millionaires - And The Rains came....... luckily it was a quick shower!

Deon Jackson - When Your Love Has Gone (for all the guys from Wakefield City Soul Club)

Maxine Brown - Let Me Give You My Lovin

Dionne Warwick - I'm Just Being Myself

Smokey & The Miracles - If You Can Want

Darrell Banks - I'm The One Who Loves You

The Truths Inc - If I Had A Love

Chrales Johns & Vamp - Don't Mind Waiting

Tony Camillo & Bazuka - Come To Me

Jeff Perry - Call On Me

Love Unlimited - High Steppin' Hip Dressin' Fella (for Plummy)

Invitations - look On The Good Side

Bobby Hutton - Watch Where You're Going

Executive Jam - I'm Into Your Love

Diane Ducane - Better Late Than Never

The Fiestas - Sometimes Storm ( for Nicky & Blake)

David Ruffin - Walk Away From Love

Bottom & Co - Gonna Find A True Love

Walter Jackson - Let Me Come Back

Johnny Adams - You're A Bad Habit Baby

Cheers JohnnyBoy

Source Advert