Last Night A Dj Saved My Life

Last Night A DJ Saved My Life - Bill Brewster, Frank Broughton

A pal of mine showed me this book last night. There's a fantastic chapter on Northern Soul. The first two pages are not only well researched and written, but also perfectly sum up the genesis and "specialness" of our scene. Made me feel really proud to have been part of it.

Would love to quote from it, but waiting for my mate to finish off first.

Anyone else read this book?

Colin

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest rachel

Yes, it's well worth a read - found the early reggae and Northern Soul chapters really interesting. Must admit I got a bit lost after that, not knowing much about the dance scene... but it is a fascinating history of DJing - definitely worth reading and I think I might pick it up again and try to finish it!!

Social source share

There's a good new book on the history of disco (yes, I read a book about disco...)by Pete Shapiro called 'Turn that beat around' with an interesting look at the Northern scene's comparisons with the disco scene. A jolly good read!

Social source share

Guest hammy

I think (not 100% sure) that there's a few excerpts from it in The Faber Book of Pop (Jon Savage) as well. A corking tome (if you like that sort of thing)

Hammy

Social source share

another good read is Love Saves The Day by Tim Lawrence, its a history of U.S. dance 1970-79. I know its not northern but its great if you Have any interest in the dj's of the time, producers, clubs etc the emergence of house from disco etc...which brings us onto Dereks Salsoul reference....

Social source share

another good read is Love Saves The Day by Tim Lawrence, its a history of U.S. dance 1970-79. I know its not northern but its great if you Have any interest in the dj's of the time, producers, clubs etc the emergence of house from disco etc...which brings us onto Dereks Salsoul reference....

link

As is" Yes,Yes Y'all" the birth of HipHop and an insight into the youth of 1970's Bronx.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert