Usa Record Fairs

If you were going to save your pennies for one visit in a year, to USA based record fair ; which one would anyone recommend based on say

a) Most soul / rnb records there

b ) Most spread of value 45s ie some $1 stuff, some $1000 stuff

c) You just though it was great !

Be interesting to the hear the views of those who have been

A friend of mine is going to Philly I believe to some record fair there..............

Edited by RareMusicDirect
Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The only 3 that come into it IMO are ARC, Allentown & WFMU. WFMU seems to be on the up & up while ARC & Allentown seem to be dropping slightly in quality. In saying that though, I was at the fall ARC last year & was really happy with the selection. Austin is a great city & the whole vibe there is really great, there are also some great record stores to hit up in that city while there. Allentown doesn't have much else touristy/interesting around except for the fair & WFMU is in "scary" NYC. If you are going as a foreigner to any of those 3 fairs you should be happy though.

Social source share

The only 3 that come into it IMO are ARC, Allentown & WFMU. WFMU seems to be on the up & up while ARC & Allentown seem to be dropping slightly in quality. In saying that though, I was at the fall ARC last year & was really happy with the selection. Austin is a great city & the whole vibe there is really great, there are also some great record stores to hit up in that city while there. Allentown doesn't have much else touristy/interesting around except for the fair & WFMU is in "scary" NYC. If you are going as a foreigner to any of those 3 fairs you should be happy though.

WFMU was around for a while and I was always under the impression that it was a hipster LP indie rock type fair but I guess more recently more 45-oriented people have been buying and selling there. it is still a mainly LP oriented show from what I understand. Allentown is all 45s.

Social source share

Don't bother with any of the local shows. The three listed here are geared toward collectors with quality records to sell and people with money to buy. Most of the 40-50 largest US cities have shows 2-12 times a year but they are not much more than flea markets these days. I can't tell you how much crap records I see people trying to flog at these shows, let alone the bootleg concert DVDs, Insane Clown Posse merch, 'grunge' era posters, etc. The bi-monthly (I think) show in the Los Angeles area is supposed to be pretty good on occasion. The problem with being an out of towner at local shows is that they don't know the inside info that locals know about who to hit up early and who to skip.

Social source share

Visited the LA one end febuary this year it is held last sunday of the month & Passedena first sunday of the month , you need to get there early 5 am . Found records at both preffered Pasadena because lots of people selling a few records on the lower levels and that is where you could get lucky although on the top level picked up things like Bruce Channel demo $8 & a stock 25c . At least you can have an interesting chat with knowlegable people like Mike Veigh (he as a stall ) , Tommy Potts & Gabby & Steve Beeby ( have a stall ) & check there ebay stuff UKPEST IE William Powell recently best John ktf in da sun

Social source share

Visited the LA one end febuary this year it is held last sunday of the month & Passedena first sunday of the month , you need to get there early 5 am . Found records at both preffered Pasadena because lots of people selling a few records on the lower levels and that is where you could get lucky although on the top level picked up things like Bruce Channel demo $8 & a stock 25c . At least you can have an interesting chat with knowlegable people like Mike Veigh (he as a stall ) , Tommy Potts & Gabby & Steve Beeby ( have a stall ) & check there ebay stuff UKPEST IE William Powell recently best John ktf in da sun

if those people are all there at 5 am even, i'm not getting there at 5am

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert