Soulhustler

• Replies 58
  • Views 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Right i have been offered a job in Saltash, this entails digging and traveling home for such time as a permanent move could happen.

Just wondered if the area has any fellow soulies and venues that would ease the possible re-location.

Replies on a postcard (only joking)

Ken

good bunch of lads & lasses down this way who are always venturing out to soul dos (myself not included, all but given up on that side of it).

Social source share

Right i have been offered a job in Saltash, this entails digging and traveling home for such time as a permanent move could happen.

Just wondered if the area has any fellow soulies and venues that would ease the possible re-location.

Ken

...and if you ain't tried it yet, this is one of the best nights you are likely to encounter (about 2 hours drive from saltash)

Soul Nights @ Bridgwater

North Petherton Rugy Club , North Petherton , Nr.Bridgwater ,Somerset, Ta66nw ( 2 mins. from junction 24 M5 )

2010 dates SAT 6th March, Sat 29th May, Sat 23rd October

d-j's for Sat 6th March .........Dr Pickles, Mike Eskins, Matt, Pete Lyster .

Social source share

...and if you ain't tried it yet, this is one of the best nights you are likely to encounter (about 2 hours drive from saltash)

Soul Nights @ Bridgwater

North Petherton Rugy Club , North Petherton , Nr.Bridgwater ,Somerset, Ta66nw ( 2 mins. from junction 24 M5 )

Only ever been this way for holidays when i was a young un, except for a visit to the Blue Lagoon in Newquay many years ago

Social source share

Guest dicklincoln72

Hi I live in Saltash so when you get down here give me a call. Occasional Soul Nights in Plymouth and the Soul & Surf Weekenders in Newquay but not a lot else west of Plymouth.

Social source share

Ken

post-11139-12663174964789_thumb.jpg

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Soul Nights @ Bridgwater

Got to agree with Mike.Bridgwater top night out.Quality music and a great venue.We travel over from Bournemouth and quite a few come down from the midlands & Wales.

Social source share

good bunch of lads & lasses down this way who are always venturing out to soul dos (myself not included, all but given up on that side of it).

Is "Rocky" still about?

Social source share

Is "Rocky" still about?

yes, he's recently come back on the scene :lol: he put a couple of nights on in Plymouth, not sure if he's got any more planned :thumbsup:

I beleive he is travelling to some of the venues again so you should be able to catch up with him at one event or another good.gif

Social source share

MICK,

whats a "rugy club"/ and is it frequented by rugy rats?. anyway, young ken will be used to mines where he comes from....guess your tin mines are now soul mines eh?

...................ANY RECORDS DOWN THERE?

ROB.H ( ex- west midlander, now a yam-yam!)

its a kinda social club. lovely venue with wooden dancefloor.

its frequented by knowledgable soulies who always get treated to the best music thats floating around the present soul scene. the dj line up for the next one will ensure an incredible evening good.gif

Social source share

Thought Exeter Soul Club was still running? :wicked:

I have a guy who visits relatives up here and attends Dinnington and he's

always going on about Exeter soul club oh yeah & Little Anthony choons :lol:

Social source share

Thought Exeter Soul Club was still running? :wicked:

I have a guy who visits relatives up here and attends Dinnington and he's

always going on about Exeter soul club oh yeah & Little Anthony choons :lol:

:P sorry, forgot about that one

Exeter Soul Club,

they have a facebook page, if you join you will get messages detailing any up-and-coming events good.gif

Social source share

:sad: sorry, forgot about that one

Exeter Soul Club,

they have a facebook page, if you join you will get messages detailing any up-and-coming events :good:

Spoke to Mick Lloyd other week about Exeter.I believe they're looking for another venue and no dates at present for this year.

Social source share

Dear Ken

yes great bunch of soulies in Plymouth- I have been to many soul nites down there over the years, alot of people from the area travel to other soul nites further north and their dedication is second to none. Always a good amount at the Bridgwater, Exeter , Weston Super Mare and Gloucester nites and further north than this. You'll love it !- all the best and keep the faith from Matt (Trowbridge, Wilts)

Social source share

Dear Ken

yes great bunch of soulies in Plymouth- I have been to many soul nites down there over the years, alot of people from the area travel to other soul nites further north and their dedication is second to none. Always a good amount at the Bridgwater, Exeter , Weston Super Mare and Gloucester nites and further north than this. You'll love it !- all the best and keep the faith from Matt (Trowbridge, Wilts)

Matt

I love reading your posts, they are so polite and you come across in the written word as a true gentleman.

The lovely thing about it is, meeting you in person proves the above to be true good.gif

Social source share

Dear Ken

Still deliberating about the job offer 1 bed unfurnished flat rents as much as my mortgage on a 4 bed semi in the midlands, but nice to know if i make the move i will be in good company. :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest little denise

Ken

hi ken, there are a few decent soul nights on in the south west , newquay weekenders are always ok, but i bet you will do the same as me & ian and go back home to wolvo to see all your mates.

hope to see you soon denise & ian xx

Social source share

hi ken, there are a few decent soul nights on in the south west , newquay weekenders are always ok, but i bet you will do the same as me & ian and go back home to wolvo to see all your mates.

hope to see you soon denise & ian xx

Hi you two

Still up in the air at the mo but as you say out most wk-ends just a bit more traveling i suppose.

See you soon

Ken

Social source share

Guest souldjer 1

yeh matt what a gent..plymouth soulies can be found at the black horse pub jct3 off m5.

a good old meeting point throughout the years,waiting for our great friend andy megsy meddleton from wolverhampton,now in dudley.

you will always get a lift with some of us anytime were on our way up t north,to smuggle rum.

deano

Social source share

Guest Dr Pickles

Since Lou and I have moved to the South West we've never looked back.

We've been welcomed with open arms by everyone, especially the Plymouth soulies.

Trowbridge Matt

Pete & Cathy

Dean the baker

Tall Paul

Tony

Steve & Kerry

Ady & Sam

Nik & Spider

Mike & Anne

Mike Cook

Shane & Bev

Dave Morris & Viv

Skinhead Al ( of the Watchet skins)

Honiton Andy

Steph & Rob

Hope to see you all out and about soon

Doc & Lou

Social source share

Guest Dr Pickles

I have a feeling we have been intoduced to each other New Century Allnighters Brookfields perhaps g.gif

Ken

Hi Ken

Look forward to bumping into you again and hearing about your move to the South West.

Hopefully you'll be in the company of many of the above.

The Gloucester allnighter would be a good start.

ATB

Doc

Social source share

Guest souldjer 1

and a couple of the nicest people that have moved south are doc n lou.a great addition to a soulfull family of southwest soulies.

deano n yvette

(i have been banned from baking buns for newquay) WHY?????

Edited by souldjer 1
Social source share

yes, he's recently come back on the scene :yes: he put a couple of nights on in Plymouth, not sure if he's got any more planned unsure.gif

I beleive he is travelling to some of the venues again so you should be able to catch up with him at one event or another good.gif

I lived in Plymouth for a while back in 1987/8 when I was studying for a degree at Plymouth University, and I made the acquaintance of a few of the local soul contingent. If my memory serves me correctly, they had soul nights at a place called Munroes on Union Street, and at a gay club round the back of the Theatre Royal. Weren't exactly packed, but they were good nights. A few faces spring to mind. Can't remember his name, but there was a postman who seemed to be one of the main geezers. Also a northern chap who was ex-navy, covered in tattoos, a brilliant dancer. Some geezer called Stanley who was a barman at the Dance Academy. And this scooter club called the Soul Addicts, who also went to the soul nights. Oh and of course, there was Rocky, who seemed to be more of a collector at this time. Ring any bells?

Social source share

I lived in Plymouth for a while back in 1987/8 when I was studying for a degree at Plymouth University, and I made the acquaintance of a few of the local soul contingent. If my memory serves me correctly, they had soul nights at a place called Munroes on Union Street, and at a gay club round the back of the Theatre Royal. Weren't exactly packed, but they were good nights. A few faces spring to mind. Can't remember his name, but there was a postman who seemed to be one of the main geezers. Also a northern chap who was ex-navy, covered in tattoos, a brilliant dancer. Some geezer called Stanley who was a barman at the Dance Academy. And this scooter club called the Soul Addicts, who also went to the soul nights. Oh and of course, there was Rocky, who seemed to be more of a collector at this time. Ring any bells?

i ain't from round this way originally, only moved down in '98 and only met a few of the soulies over the last 4/5 years excl.gif

Social source share

Guest soulhitch1

That would be Clive the postman who now lives in the states, kept the scene going in Plymouth during the eighties along with the likes of Lenny and the ex navy lad was Greg, who we sadly lost just before christmas but for sure is still laying down his moves on the big floor up above. Three Top Soulmen.

Social source share

Hiya Kenny, I've never lived down there but have visited a few times as I have really good mates who live in Liskeard (Cornwall) and also have mates in Plymouth who travel all over the place so I don't think you'd be stuck for car companions .... all people I have met on the soul scene and stayed in touch with .. couldn't ask for a better bunch thumbup.gif Been to a couple of soul dos down there with them and really good crowds have been there ... I'd certainly make the move ... much nicer than the Midlands, nicer pace of life, nicer weather thumbup.gif

Social source share

if you fancy a Soul Night in the next 2 weeks down here in the deep south west, to get a chance to sample what everyone is saying in the thread above, give our next night a go .

Soul Nights @ Bridgwater Sat 6th March

you''ll be made very welcome

I've just started the main thread for this in the ' events ' thread on Soul Source .

a.t.b.

pete

Social source share

That would be Clive the postman who now lives in the states, kept the scene going in Plymouth during the eighties along with the likes of Lenny and the ex navy lad was Greg, who we sadly lost just before christmas but for sure is still laying down his moves on the big floor up above. Three Top Soulmen.

Just had the shock of my life when I got down to this post. I was going to ask whether Greg Ronkay was still around. I used to live in Plymouth & DJ late 70s, early 80s. Me, Postman Clive and his Black & white caps, Greg, Len Hardy a go go, Karen & Pete, who are on here.

we had a great bunch of people around.

Can you please pm me to let me know what happened to my old best mate.

RIP Greg. "I wash my hands of your black plastic dustbin"!

Paul(Jimmy) Rimmer

Social source share

Guest karen b

Just had the shock of my life when I got down to this post. I was going to ask whether Greg Ronkay was still around. I used to live in Plymouth & DJ late 70s, early 80s. Me, Postman Clive and his Black & white caps, Greg, Len Hardy a go go, Karen & Pete, who are on here.

Paul(Jimmy) Rimmer

Hi Paul,

Yes we did have some fine old times in Plymouth. Clive got in touch a few years ago now to say all was well and he is settled in San Fransico and now a proud father of TRIPLETS!!!

It was a very sad day when we got the call about Greg, I did put up a thread which is now on page 4 of 'people with soul'.

Pete and I remember Greg fondly, he was a smashing friend to have, but like so many people we lose contact with will never know how they have touched our lives because we never think to tell them.

Love Karen and Pete xxx

Edited by karen b
Social source share

Guest phillybuster

i love plymouth twas my first real introduction to soul music in the big wide world, the 150 club behind i think it was the top rank club, oh to be sweet sixteen and back in the royal navy in 1972 and know what i know now thumbup.gif

kev

The 150 club was behind Majestic.

Social source share

Guest phillybuster

NOT IN 1972 IT WAS'NT IT WAS A TOP RANK OR MECCA BALLROOM OR SOMETHING OF THT ILK

KEV

I think it was originally called Magic Stick but being Plymouthian it became known as Majestic.Yes it was a Top Rank ballroom.150 club was in the same building but at the back with a side door entrance behind the Three Crowns.

Social source share

Paul(Jimmy) Rimmer

Wonder if you remember my sister Viv, Mark Heaney and Tony Reynolds?. I have lots of funny stories about Lenny, hes a character :lol:

Very sad about Greg, was out dancing not so long ago in Plymouth and Torquay.

Jo

Social source share

Guest dicklincoln72

Must be a lot of youngsters on this site, I can go back to my scooter days in Plymouth in the mid 60's. Then the scene was the Quay Club and the Van Dyke later the Purple Fez, falling out after a long night and going to Aggie Westons for breakfast. Hanging out at the Tarantula & Sombrero Cofee Bars and the run up to Torbay on a weekend to the Lansdowne Club. Saw bands like Jimmy James & Vagabonds, Alan Bown Set and Freddie Macks Extravaganza, Paul Roberts Record Bar by the market for imports remember ordering "I'm In With The In Crowd" thinking it was by Marvyn Gaye, (poor reception on Radio Luxembourg confusing me). In those days we all used to hang out on Armada Way and drop into the all night cafe at Bretonside Bus Station. Now those were the days, anybody old enough to remember them?

Social source share

Wonder if you remember my sister Viv, Mark Heaney and Tony Reynolds?. I have lots of funny stories about Lenny, hes a character thumbsup.gif

Jo

I certainly do know all of them. I used to DJ with Tony at Tramps & the Circus Tavern, amonst other places. say hello to Viv for me and any of others.

Jimmy Rimmer

Social source share

Guest karen b

I certainly do know all of them. I used to DJ with Tony at Tramps & the Circus Tavern, amonst other places. say hello to Viv for me and any of others.

Jimmy Rimmer

Circus Tavern, on a thursday night I think, was a great place especially as, at that time we only lived

just around the corner in Stonehouse.

Not sure how many we 'published'lol but Pete and I printed an A4 'flier' write up and info page

called "CT NEWS". I'd like to say it was and informative publication with playlists and DJ profiles, alas

it wasn't. It was an absolute very lighthearted look at us, the attendees. Years before Polly put out the

first manifesto, we did the first Mr Potato head stylee lookbacks.

Funny what memories ss can jog.

Good times, good people, great memories.

Karen [and Pete]

Social source share

Guest karen b

Wonder if you remember my sister Viv, Mark Heaney and Tony Reynolds?. I have lots of funny stories about Lenny, hes a character thumbsup.gif

Jo

We spoke to Mark and Julie Heaney on new years eve. They were on their way to Heathrow going back

home to Perth.

We were sitting in Steve [Hornbuckle, St Austell] and Micheallas front room in Ealing waiting

to leave for Va Va Vooms allnighter. Tried very hard to persuade Mark there would be NO problem leaving

the Heathrow hotel, coming out with us, getting 'MERRY', and then returning to the airport to check in on

time!!!!!!

Not sure if Julie will ever speak to us again.innocent.gif

Still see and speak to his brother Ady whos name is regularly on fliers for the west country.

Karen [and Pete]

Social source share

omg... kenny got a "WORK" offer amongst the black gang chines of the S.W. HA HA HAA HAAA HHA HAR RAAA . Knew kenny "O" very well once, doesn't do "work" as such as I remember, but will love the "southern scene" & especially that damn fine fishin' all U lot are so fond of down there. BTW, goog luck Kenny mate, & give us an invite to the new challet U old c*nt. Peace XXX

Edited by pikeys dog
swearing - work filters
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert