• Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

See above.....g.gif

Fingers hatsoff2.gif

Yup, just about sums it up.

An excellent night out, good company and some excellent tunes especially from Butch and Ady, particularly the Billy and Clive (really?) tune.

Oh, and Johnny, she slept all the way home thanks to the power of the magic green scarf and a heated seat. Laugh, I thought I'd gone deaf!

Roll on the next one, it's Jen's 40th, so hopefully we'll bring a few from north of Watford.

John

Thanks Ady for asking me to guest last Sat night. Loved it. I've left my feedback on my thoughts about the 100 club and I've got a funny feeling that the next one's going to be a packer. It was great to see a lot more pure soulies in on Sat and a big ta to those who turned up (i.e. me mates) for turning up to support me. Not full but I'd say it was a very decent turnout and the floor was busy all night

Tunes from Ady and Butch were awesome – hadn't seen soo much slavering from people rushing up to the decks to ask about new plays for both of them. I know Butch does the business for new discoveries but Ady was on top, top form with his acetates.

Anyway, me plays for the evening

Del Davis - Baby don't wake me – Trojan

Lewise Bethune - Chi-town Boogaloo - Sack

Harvey Averne - Never learned to dance - Uptite

Hector Rivera - A chance for romance - Barry

Gene Toones – What more do you want – Simco

Joe Matthews - Ain't nothing you can do – Kool Kat

TJ Parker – If you want to hold on – Academy

Beverly Wheeler - Don't shake my tree - BSC

Bernard Williams - It's needless to say - Harthon

Minnie Jones - Shadow of a memory - Sugar

Betty Wilson - I'm yours - Dayco

Vikki Styles - The tears won't stop falling - Odex

Pat Lewis - No one to love - Solid Hit

Bobby Valentin - Geronimo - Fania

Afro Blues Quintet – La la la la la – Mira

Richi Corbin Trio – A woman was made for a man – Red label

Marva Whiney – Sugar bear – forte

Jeanette Williams – Stuff – Back Beat

Benny Harper – My prayer – Harper soul

Rosa Lee Brooks – Utee – Revis

Hayes Cotton – Black wings have my angers – Resist

Jimmy Andrews – Big city playboy – Blue Jay

Liz and her Gospeletes – Leaning on Jesus – Song Bird

Gospel Pearls – Two little fishes – Liberty

Sweet Breeze – Good thing – Willpower

Tommy Andre – One more try – Broadway

Patrinell Staten – Little love affair – Sepia

Charles Mintz – Running away - Uplook

Edited by boogaloo
Guest marco

Paradox thing i guess was Charlene & The Soul Serenaders, also on Volt. Think Paradox is the really hard local of it?

Volt one in sales :)

That's right Joel. Trust himself to have it on the impossible Paradox 1st label... Such great guitar work on this record, which really does deserve the description 'so right for today'. I came across a clip on you tube where her son and niece chip in to the discussion thread to say that Charlene still sings today but only gospel... and that she's "much better now than she sounds on 'Can You Win'"! And before you all start scrambling onto you tube, no, she doesn't have any copies left.

Mark's been playing it down the 100 club on and off for a few months now... tut, tut... pay attention Tone! wink.gif

Finally got to hear Spencer Wiggins off Dean Rudland last night and will second Tony's comments. Loverly record... as was Ion's Sir Guy on Ru-Jac!

Edited by marco

That's right Joel. Trust himself to have it on the impossible Paradox 1st label... Such great guitar work on this record, which really does deserve the description 'so right for today'. I came across a clip on you tube where her son and niece chip in to the discussion thread to say that Charlene still sings today but only gospel... and that she's "much better now than she sounds on 'Can You Win'"! And before you all start scrambling onto you tube, no, she doesn't have any copies left.

Mark's been playing it down the 100 club on and off for a few months now... tut, tut... pay attention Tone! :)

Finally got to hear Spencer Wiggins off Dean Rudland last night and will second Tony's comments. Loverly record... as was Ion's Sir Guy on Ru-Jac!

"Look - let's be clear about this" as a tory politician might say: I first heard Butch play it 2 years ago at Thorne (& ad-infinitum since), but I first heard Adam Leaver play it approx. 7 or 8 years ago in Manchester - swiftly followed by me in Nottingham during 2003/4... unfortunately no-one was listening to either of us ha ha. One of my girlfriend's favourite records, although she is slightly miffed about its recent appropriation ("these lot really know how to ruin a record by playing it every bloody time, don't they?")

Source Advert