Titus Turner Hungry Man

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

just heard this on a cd i was given , anyone got anymore details , label price availablilty etc

thanks in advance

dav

Very nice, early 60t's (??) ditty - and very reminiscent of 'Working In A Coalmine' if memory serves me correct ?? (which would probably be a first.. laugh.gif ) and on U.S. Atlantic, at least..

I know I used to have a black & white demo of this from my Turntable Records list days (2000 - 2003). I'll have a dig around this evening at some point to see if I still have it, then PM ya with the result - soon as, Dave.

I don't know if this actually saw release or if DJ only - I've only seen the B&W DJ (two copies only, in over ten years) and always wondered if it also saw a Red & White DJ ?!?..

That's all I can tell ya at the mo - but my old stock database will give me more details as to (my) value at the time - and what I sold it for, if it is sold.

As a quick afterthought..

May be the kind of thing possibly more available via some of our European cousins perhaps ?? - as I believe it's appeal fits in much more with the very widely collected popcorn(y)/soul type thingies ?? Perhaps if any of those Soulie Cousins I mention above - that are members on here - read this thread, they might be in a better position to give you more of a rundown as to price & availability etc..

Sebastian ?? Marc ?? Loren ?? And all those others, who's names I can't place at present but are walking encyclopedia's for this type tune ??

Purely, sort of 'educated guesses' type things that run thru me tiny little brain as I type on here, really.. I may be completely wrong !?!

Which is the ONE thing me missus is ALWAYS praising me about - and what I'm a NATURAL at :

Gettin' it wrong !! laugh.giflaugh.gifyes.gif

Fingers

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

just heard this on a cd i was given , anyone got anymore details , label price availablilty etc

thanks in advance

dav

I would of thought around £40 ish, not that hard to find...just a guide i maybe wrong !! Andy.

Social source share

Okay.. My copy is defo sold and, as Andy so rightly predicted, my list price was @ £40 !!

I know it isn't the sort of 45 you would come across in the majority of sales boxes - or on sales lists even, as it certainly wouldn't appeal to the 'mainstream 'niter attendee'. (!?!)

Nor would it be to the taste of (probably ??) the majority of collectors, I would say. Although there are sufficient numbers of peeps who's 'boat's' WOULD be 'rocked' by the boxes this 45 would tick.. People like Ezzie Brown & Steve Zelenyj are two aficionado's that immediately spring to mind, and who might be worth a shout ?? Even if it's only to point you further on the road to where a copy can be located & obtained.. ??

I'm afraid that's about the sum of the input / contribution I can offer.. Sorry !! But good luck in your quest and I hope it's only a short journey to fruition for yahatsoff2.gif

Fingers

PS : Just now remembered - defo try Neil O on here. He just might be in a position to assist with a copy ???? I don't know how often Neil looks on here - but he has been / is currently promoting a 'new' promotion in Letchworth - so checking the up-coming soul nites thread should provide a better gauge to an answer to that. A PM will cost nothing more than the time it takes to compile & send it ??

Edited by FickleFingers
Social source share

Very nice, early 60t's (??) ditty - and very reminiscent of 'Working In A Coalmine' if memory serves me correct ?? (which would probably be a first.. laugh.gif ) and on U.S. Atlantic, at least..

I know I used to have a black & white demo of this from my Turntable Records list days (2000 - 2003). I'll have a dig around this evening at some point to see if I still have it, then PM ya with the result - soon as, Dave.

I don't know if this actually saw release or if DJ only - I've only seen the B&W DJ (two copies only, in over ten years) and always wondered if it also saw a Red & White DJ ?!?..

That's all I can tell ya at the mo - but my old stock database will give me more details as to (my) value at the time - and what I sold it for, if it is sold.

As a quick afterthought..

May be the kind of thing possibly more available via some of our European cousins perhaps ?? - as I believe it's appeal fits in much more with the very widely collected popcorn(y)/soul type thingies ?? Perhaps if any of those Soulie Cousins I mention above - that are members on here - read this thread, they might be in a better position to give you more of a rundown as to price & availability etc..

Sebastian ?? Marc ?? Loren ?? And all those others, who's names I can't place at present but are walking encyclopedia's for this type tune ??

Purely, sort of 'educated guesses' type things that run thru me tiny little brain as I type on here, really.. I may be completely wrong !?!

Which is the ONE thing me missus is ALWAYS praising me about - and what I'm a NATURAL at :

Gettin' it wrong !! laugh.giflaugh.gifyes.gif

Fingers

Johnnie

I have a B&W demo and hadnt seen an issue until very recently when one sold on ebay for about £30

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Johnnie

I have a B&W demo and hadnt seen an issue until very recently when one sold on ebay for about £30

Cheers

Steve

Top Man, Steve..thumbsup.gif And nice to put another piece of this 45's puzzle into place hatsoff2.gif

Question NOW Steve..

Are you gonna sell it to the thread starter then.. Or what ?? biggrin.gif

Fingers

Social source share

Very much appreciate you taking the time to inform us of that, Michael.. wave.gif

The small task (usually) of my dating an item is generally one of those areas that fall way, way down the list where priorities are concerned - unless it's urgency dictates otherwise, as sometimes is necessary. yes.gif

That's another piece of the puzzle, then - what about the piece that's got confirmation either way of a R&W demo ?? If it did get a general relase on stock copies - would that not then lead to the chances being more in the affirmative - rather than negative ?? Any thoughts.. ?? blink.gif

(A much wiser, today..) Fingers onto.gif

Social source share

what about the piece that's got confirmation either way of a R&W demo ??

As far as I know, Atlantic didn't start using red/white demos until the mid-60s.

Popsike has logged 16 copies of "Hungry Man" for sale on eBay during the past 4 years. Only 3 of those were black/white demos, the remaining 13 copies were black/red issues.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

As far as I know, Atlantic didn't start using red/white demos until the mid-60s.

Popsike has logged 16 copies of "Hungry Man" for sale on eBay during the past 4 years. Only 3 of those were black/white demos, the remaining 13 copies were black/red issues.

Thank you so much for that Sebastian..

I just KNEW one of you guy's would come up with some solid material on this 45..

What a day I'm having - I'm OD'ing on new knowledge gained almost entirely at once. Great stuff !! yes.gif

Goodness me !! I must be SOOOO sad !! laugh.giflaugh.gif

Fingers

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert