• Replies 171
  • Views 15.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest BintofSoul

I had an excellent time and all the DJ's played fantastic sets. I really enjoyed Sean, Des and Bearsy tunes, my legs ached badly the next day! Great crowd of friendly soulies in attendance, in particular thanks to Bev for the kind offer of joining her group and the very lovely and energetic Dave and Jan. Thanks for the kind words and great write up Dave, how the heck do you remember all those tunes????

I'm really looking forward to the next event.

Nicki

Loved it, loved it, loved it - great people & place, and allowed me to play what I like to play :thumbsup: Many , many thanks!!

Wayne Lo Guidice – Eye To Eye – A1 Studio Acetate

Herb Ward – Honest To Goodness (Alt. Version) – Virtue

Josephine Taylor – I'm Gone – Sheldon Acetate

Bobby Angelle – I Love You – Cover Up

Capitols – Tired Running (Alt. Version) – Audiodisc

Willie Mitchell – The Groove – Cover Up

Guys From Uncle – Like A Good Girl Should – Acetate

Johnnie Taylor – Friday Night – Stax

Stokes – Fortune Teller – Acetate

Cindy Scott – Learning To Dance – Virtue

Chet Stewart – Blessed With A Love (Alt. Version) – Acetate

Lanny Hunt – Suzie Q – Panorama

Jimmy Bishop – End Of Time – Virtue

Robert Walker – Shake You Down – Cover Up

Ray Agee – I'm Losing Again – Soultown

Wayne Boling – Girl I'd Like To Dance With You – Campo

J.T. Parker – If You Want To Hold On – Academy

Stokes – Fortune Teller – Acetate

Hayes Cotton – Black Wings Has My Angel – Resist

Hytones – Hey Little Woman – Cover Up

Vondells – Straighten Out – Cover Up

Delites – Lover – Cuppy

Ronnie Walker – You're The One – Phillips

Ronnie Walker – Illusion – Impact Sound Acetate

Dean Francis – Tippin' – Hillside

Johnny Praye – Too Much Love - Sidewalk

Royal Five - To Your Heart - Impact Sound Acetate

Judy Street - Can't Always Be King - Cover Up

Des

Edited by SOUL.INC

Russ Vickers came on for the last hour and began with an alternative version (artist?) of I'll come running back. Numbers had dwindled considerably with only the die-hards remaining. The likes of Lindsay, Karen, and Rachel, Bearsy and Marie, Alfie and others were going to keep the floor going. We decided to call time and left at 5.15 a.m.

Was it something I played lol :ohmy: .......'Running Back' was the superior Charles Mintz take on the Delegates of Soul classic. I will try & remember what else I played & post up later, back in Baghdad & shagged !!!. Thanks for all the kind words & to those that danced to the end..........

Best Russ

Russ Vickers came on for the last hour and began with an alternative version (artist?) of I'll come running back. Numbers had dwindled considerably with only the die-hards remaining. The likes of Lindsay, Karen, and Rachel, Bearsy and Marie, Alfie and others were going to keep the floor going. We decided to call time and left at 5.15 a.m.

Was it something I played lol :thumbsup: .......'Running Back' was the superior Charles Mintz take on the Delegates of Soul classic. I will try & remember what else I played & post up later, back in Baghdad & shagged !!!. Thanks for all the kind words & to those that danced to the end..........

Best Russ

Glad you got back safely Russ. Loved your set and managed to dance til 6.00am - but did I ache the next day lol. Look forward to seeing your playlist.

Take care

Sallie

. Upbeat tunes such as one he announced as being by The Mystiques - ? certainly did the trick and so did the odd mid-tempo tune of say The Hyperions - Why do you treat me this way. One new to my ears that really hit the sweet spot was a tune titled Dam Sam. Unfortunately, I only managed to dance to the tail end of it. I realized I had to get out of chin scratching mode and belatedly join the likes of Alfie Linney, who had been giving it some on the floor.

Hi Dave

The 'Mystiques' would have been The Mystics - I played two 45's by the same artist name (different groups) that would fit the bill "Copp and Blow" a full on soul dancer with spoken intro; and "I Really Love You" - a slighter funked more up-tempo version of the Jimmy Burns classic.

Damn Sam is a great double sider "Give Me Another Joint" I plyed in Room 2 - Damn Sam The Miracle Man - the one you heard I played in the main room...it is fantastic and an early psuedonym of O.C. Tolbert.

Glad you enjoyed some and that folks are taking interesat in the 'newer' stuff.

Guest Bearsy

Sallie & Rod

It passed my expectations and others that i know..it was a fantastic niter - what a great dirty venue too!!

keep on :-)

dito :thumbsup:

Guest Bearsy

Was it something I played lol :thumbsup: .......'Running Back' was the superior Charles Mintz take on the Delegates of Soul classic. I will try & remember what else I played & post up later, back in Baghdad & shagged !!!. Thanks for all the kind words & to those that danced to the end..........

Best Russ

great seeing you Russ and great set mate right up until just after 6am biggrin.gif

Sallie & Rod

It passed my expectations and others that i know..it was a fantastic niter - what a great dirty venue too!!

keep on :-)

Agree 100% & thank you for the brilliant company as usual, speak soon.

Dirty venue = traditional, old fashioned club style venue (as opposed to a ballroom), not minging, just a bit grimy, just like it should be & the loos have the potential to be very traditional :thumbsup: , always an indicator of a good Allnighter in my experience.............loads of nice dark nooks & crannies, different levels & stair cases & a brill corner for record dealers too, dance floor was great & it was DARK, sound seemed good too in the main room were I spent most of my time.

Best Russ

Guest Catfish

Thank you Sallie & Rod- really enjoyed this night, excellent venue with just the right sort of atmosphere. Great balance of DJs and types of music across the two rooms, def. something for everyone. Sorry I ain't got a good enough memory to pick out particular records by particular DJs that I enjoyed, but I did lots of dancing so must've been good. Lots of soulful funk which is what I like..

Now when is the next one? Around 14th May, which is my dad's birthday would be kinda handy... :thumbsup: pleeease..

Thank you Sallie & Rod- really enjoyed this night, excellent venue with just the right sort of atmosphere. Great balance of DJs and types of music across the two rooms, def. something for everyone. Sorry I ain't got a good enough memory to pick out particular records by particular DJs that I enjoyed, but I did lots of dancing so must've been good. Lots of soulful funk which is what I like..

Now when is the next one? Around 14th May, which is my dad's birthday would be kinda handy... :thumbsup: pleeease..

Glad you enjoyed it. Working on the next one now....for Friday 6th May....hope you can make it !!!

In no particular order:

Charles Mintz - Running Back

Bamboos - Tighten Up

William Cummings - Make My Love etc

Charlie Gracie & the Club Kings - c/up

Jeanie Tracy - Making New Friends

Debonaires - Stop, Lets Be United

Billy Gee - Name of the Bag

Chuck Cockerham - Have I the Right

Judy Freeman & Blackrock c/up

Blues Busters - Ohh Baby

Bob & Gene - I Really, Really Love You

Explosive Dynamiks - c/up

Scott Three - Running Wild

Sheepherders Ft Bubba Bailey - If Ever You Needed Me (Always think of Marcelle smile.gif )

Roy Roberts - So Much in Love

Kings of Soul - Is Your Love For Me

Harvey Scales - Trackdown

Sugar Boy & the Shades of Black - Freedom

Kae Williams - Our Love is Dieing

George Torrence - So Long Goodbye

Think there might have been a couple more, but cant rememeber........smashed !!!

Quality playlist there Russ, hopefully You'll be playing at the next and I can stick around to hear you play thumbsup.gif

Des

Cheers mate........really enjoyed it, hopefully will be back for the next, but regardless of DJ duties or not I'll be there as I thought it was a smasher of a night, a propper Allnighter & I'm so pleased for Sallie n Rod, but more to the point its on my doorstep comparitively

speaking laugh.gif.

Take care mate & see ya soon.

Best Russ

Out of all the sets that I listened to in both rooms (and there were some great tracks played) it was Russ's set that dragged my weary feet, that had been dancing since 10, back onto the floor and kept me there 'till 6.

The entire set was the icing on the cake of a truly great night out

The music, the organisers and everyone there created a top class all nighter. Looking forward to the next one.

Guest Dave Mortimore

Hi Dave

The 'Mystiques' would have been The Mystics - I played two 45's by the same artist name (different groups) that would fit the bill "Copp and Blow" a full on soul dancer with spoken intro; and "I Really Love You" - a slighter funked more up-tempo version of the Jimmy Burns classic.

Damn Sam is a great double sider "Give Me Another Joint" I plyed in Room 2 - Damn Sam The Miracle Man - the one you heard I played in the main room...it is fantastic and an early psuedonym of O.C. Tolbert.

Glad you enjoyed some and that folks are taking interest in the 'newer' stuff.

. Thanks Dave, For the information about those plays of yours. I look forward to hearing them again sometime soon - (Ghetto Soul. Maybe?).

. My education continues!

Source Advert