2011-02-25: Soul In The South Allnighter

• Replies 171
  • Views 15.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

just had a weekend in ...shock horror !! ...and wierd....so we are looking forward to our first night out in bournemouth even more...sadly will have to be a lightweight and miss being on the dancefloor till dawn as im playing in bristol saturday night after the drive back so gotta save some juice...but with this line up will be an early starter on the floor to make up !

dean

wimp :( im going to Kent straight after for Kent Soul Club :D come say hello Dean :thumbsup:

How big are the dance floors?

The venue holds 300 people but we are hoping for 200 - 250, to be comfortable. Both rooms have good wooden dance floors. The main room has the largest dance floor and plenty of seating. It holds 200 and the dance floor takes up 2/3rds of the space. The smaller room holds approx 100 and the dance floor takes up 50%.

The whole club has an intimate feel with low ceilings and dim lighting to create the right atmosphere. We believe it's a fantastic venue and just the right size for a South Coast Allnighter.

There will be plenty of room for everyone on the dance floors - even Dave Mortimer and Pete Widd !!!

The venue holds 300 people but we are hoping for 200 - 250, to be comfortable. Both rooms have good wooden dance floors. The main room has the largest dance floor and plenty of seating. It holds 200 and the dance floor takes up 2/3rds of the space. The smaller room holds approx 100 and the dance floor takes up 50%.

The whole club has an intimate feel with low ceilings and dim lighting to create the right atmosphere. We believe it's a fantastic venue and just the right size for a South Coast Allnighter.

There will be plenty of room for everyone on the dance floors - even Dave Mortimer and Pete Widd !!!

Hey Sal, is the Wid gonna be in attendance ?............bloody hope so, crazy b'stard :hatsoff2: ..........I think many of our South Coast soul friends are gonna be out in force for this, hearing through the grapevine about a lot of top (ex) Nighter folk venturing out many of whom I have great respect for & cant wait to see................all open minded proppa nighter types, who are very into thier music, but for one reason or another dont get to travel much these days, a South Coast Nighter is a fantastic way of getting us altogether again.............I'm dead excited biggrin.gif . Cant wait to see mi Northern mates down too.........

Best Russ

wimp :yes: im going to Kent straight after for Kent Soul Club biggrin.gif come say hello Dean :thumbsup:

lol !.....might have too now after that !......nah to be honest its the mrs,since ive been diabetic she worries at nighters...hard to keep the sugar levels up when the legs start to ache and you hit the wall...cant think of any more excuses at the moment..

Glad you're gonna make it down to Bournemouth, pity you can't stay until the end....but I'll have a dance for you instead lol !!!

Good luck with your nite on Saturday....bring some flyers down.

See you on Friday.

Regards, Sallie

weve been meaning to get down for years so yeah gonna have a good time,nicci said last night out of the blue "i cant wait to dance friday night".......the venue sounds great and the djs will do i suppose :yes:

will bring flyers for go go children next week but the saturday night gig this weekend is a 40th all the go go djs have been asked to do alongside...dear i say it...a funk band !!:thumbsup: ..so a chance to advertise our little shindig to lots of new faces

dean

lol !.....might have too now after that !......nah to be honest its the mrs,since ive been diabetic she worries at nighters...hard to keep the sugar levels up when the legs start to ache and you hit the wall...cant think of any more excuses at the moment..

i will bring you a Mars Bar :yes: totally understand you got to be careful not worth risking your health for an extra few hours :thumbsup:

BTW is there parking available ???

Russ

Plenty of parking in this part of town Russ. There are a number of car parks within 5 mins walk at West Hill Road, Somerville Road, Marlborough Road and a large car park in Hannemann Road. Also there is parking in the surrounding streets. You should easily find somewhere to park for the nite.

Really looking forward to seeing you and all our other friends tomorrow nite....it's gonna be HOT on the South Coast !!!

Hey Sal, is the Wid gonna be in attendance ?............bloody hope so, crazy b'stard :thumbsup: ..........I think many of our South Coast soul friends are gonna be out in force for this, hearing through the grapevine about a lot of top (ex) Nighter folk venturing out many of whom I have great respect for & cant wait to see................all open minded proppa nighter types, who are very into thier music, but for one reason or another dont get to travel much these days, a South Coast Nighter is a fantastic way of getting us altogether again.............I'm dead excited :yes: . Cant wait to see mi Northern mates down too.........

Best Russ

Hiya Russ

Saw Widd the other day and he said he was coming, along with some others from Southampton. Looks like there's gonna be lots of old niter people coming along to this one, from the South Coast and further afield. Can't wait to see all my old friends, as well as my newer ones too.

It's gonna be a nite to remember.....can't wait.....I'm getting really excited now.

Only 1 more sleep !!!

Regards

Sallie

Hiya Russ

Saw Widd the other day and he said he was coming, along with some others from Southampton. Looks like there's gonna be lots of old niter people coming along to this one, from the South Coast and further afield. Can't wait to see all my old friends, as well as my newer ones too.

It's gonna be a nite to remember.....can't wait.....I'm getting really excited now.

Only 1 more sleep !!!

Regards

Sallie

OMG...........better prepare for some shennanigans :thumbsup: .

Best R :yes: uss

Well, what a sh*tty week.........central heating & hot water has broken down 3 times, still no hot water, so if I stink its still not been fixed lol...........flat tyre on the beamer & the disc I ordered from the US arrived today just in time to play tonite & the f*cker is trashed, if thats vg+ my c*cks a

kipper :ohmy: ...........on the bright side I'm going to kick the sh*t outta it tonite :lol: .......cant bloody wait.

Looking forward to seeing y'all

Later gators

Russ

record box sorted not that i know what the fook im gonna play :ohmy: will see whats making the dance floor bounce then try to keep it going if possible following the Des :thumbsup: :thumbsup: just cooking dinner then shower shit and shave in that order then the 40 minute drive to destination Bournemouth ALLNIGHTER :lol::yes::no::D

See you all laters its gonna be a goodun :lol:

Well, what a sh*tty week.........central heating & hot water has broken down 3 times, still no hot water, so if I stink its still not been fixed lol...........flat tyre on the beamer & the disc I ordered from the US arrived today just in time to play tonite & the f*cker is trashed, if thats vg+ my c*cks a

kipper :ohmy: ...........on the bright side I'm going to kick the sh*t outta it tonite :lol: .......cant bloody wait.

Looking forward to seeing y'all

Later gators

Russ

i will be in the car with you!! Please put on plenty of deodorant!!

and hurry up. i am bored...

c'mon Russell - Let's Av Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. and quickly

i will be in the car with you!! Please put on plenty of deodorant!!

and hurry up. i am bored...

c'mon Russell - Let's Av Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. and quickly

you got room for 2 little ones :D

Good evening soulies...

have been down to the club...both rooms are all set and ready for all you soulies...

gonna be a cracking nighter on the south coast...if your at a loose end and wanting something to do then get yaselfs down to sunny bournemouth...you will not be dissapointed...

see ya laters...

Alfie

ps...

Top grub Mr Smithers...thanks...

Well what can I say, we were overwhelmed with all the support for our first allnighter at Bumbles. What a great nite it was with well over 200 people in attendance !!!

We would particularly like to thank our fantastic djs for playing such great tunes that kept the crowd dancing for most of the night, our friends who came along to support us - a large number having travelled many miles to be there, and not least, the staff at the club for helping to make things run so smoothly.

Now we are really looking forward to planning the next one ..........

Many thanks

Sallie & Rod

Well what can I say, we were overwhelmed with all the support for our first allnighter at Bumbles. What a great nite it was with well over 200 people in attendance !!!

We would particularly like to thank our fantastic djs for playing such great tunes that kept the crowd dancing for most of the night, our friends who came along to support us - a large number having travelled many miles to be there, and not least, the staff at the club for helping to make things run so smoothly.

Now we are really looking forward to planning the next one ..........

Many thanks

Sallie & Rod

Glad it went well Sal/Rod after all the hard work you both put in :lol:, ....pity I missed it but maybe the next one ... ya never know.

Willie

Had a fantastic time...a massive thanks must go out to Sally & Rod for putting on a gr8 nighter...it sounded like & defo looked like that everyone was haveing a ball of a time...the tunage that was getting spun was first class...a top nighter with top ppl...looking forward to the next one already...

Alfie...:thumbsup:

Looking back I had a great night, a brilliant venue for soul, good attendance for the south coast & the music was some of the best I have heard any where in the UK. It was a proppa nighter, with everything you would expect from such............this deserves to go from strength to stength, well done Sallie n Rod. Great sets from Karl Heard, Sean, Des & all the other DJ's, I enjoyed my last set immensely & played the set I had hoped to play as opposed to having to compromise, thanks to all for the support. Great to meet Dusty, Sean & others & catch up with Karl n Des.

I will be back as this was the real deal & will with support find its own identity & has the potential to be a very popular & influential venue.

Thanks to all involved, promoters, DJ's, travellers, dancers, the moovers & groovers.........

Best Russ

Looking back I had a great night, a brilliant venue for soul, good attendance for the south coast & the music was some of the best I have heard any where in the UK. It was a proppa nighter, with everything you would expect from such............this deserves to go from strength to stength, well done Sallie n Rod. Great sets from Karl Heard, Sean, Des & all the other DJ's, I enjoyed my last set immensely & played the set I had hoped to play as opposed to having to compromise, thanks to all for the support. Great to meet Dusty, Sean & others & catch up with Karl n Des.

I will be back as this was the real deal & will with support find its own identity & has the potential to be a very popular & influential venue.

Thanks to all involved, promoters, DJ's, travellers, dancers, the moovers & groovers.........

Best Russ

Thanks for your words of encouragement Russ. We were really pleased with the nite and will definately be back.

Will post dates and details soon.

Thanks for your support and have a safe trip back to Iraq. Look forward to seeing you soon.

All the best

Sallie & Rod

Had a great time, heard some great choons and met lots of like minded soulies, the main room has got such a good vibe about it, cant wait for the next one. Here are a few choons that i played on the nite

Set 1,from what i can remember not in order

THE FRED MARTIN REVUE ......... CONTAGIOUS

O D WILLIAMS......... IM MOVING ON

C C CARLSON ........SHE'S NOT TO BLAME

JIMMIE ELLIS ......I GOTTA SEE MY BABY

ART NEVILLE .....HOOK LINE AND SINKER

LONNIE BROOKS .....DEMONSTRATING

CHUCK WELLS ............THE LOVE KNOT

L J REYNOLDS ....... INTRUDER

SAM TAYLOR ...... THE STINGER

FRED JOHNSON ...... I FEEL SOUL

BIG MAC .... TREAT YOUR WOMEN

DR SOUL ......... LEFT EYE JUMP

LEE JENNINGS ..... GO AND GET IT

RUDY LAMBERT ...... LOVE

ROCKIE CHARLES .... RICCASHA

US WARREN .... HARD HEADED WOMEN

DIZZY GILLESPIE ... SOUL KISS

LANNY HUNT ....SUZIE Q

JIMMY ROBINS .... SHINE IT ON

NOCTURNALS ..... LOVIN BLUES

CLIFF GOBER ...... POOR WAYFARING STRANGER

SONNY HARRIS .... VIBRATION

Set 2

JEANY REYNOLDS .....DOWN ON ME

BIG ELLA .....TO HOT TO HOLD

MYSTICS .......I REALLY LOVE YOU

DYNAMIC 7 ....SQUEEZE ME

BOBBY BLAKNEY .......IM JUST YOUR YO YO

VERNON GARRETT ......WE PEOPLE IN THE GHETTO

ENCHANTING ENCHANTERS ... BOSS ACTION

RON BUFORD ...DEEP SOUL

DAWN & SUNSET ....THIS IS IT

INTERPERTATIONS ...SOUL AFFECTION

LOU COURTNEY .....HEY JOYCE

LEE HARRIS ....IM GONNA GET YOUR THING

BOBBY PATTERSON ...RIGHT ON JODIE

VALDONS ... ALL DAY LONG

REESE AND THE THRILLERS ..... TRY IT

JOHNNY JAMES .... TELL YOU ABOUT MY GIRL

JIMMY LEWIS ...LET ME KNOW

TERRIFICS ... LEAVE US ALONE

Guest Dave Mortimore

brilliant :yes:

. Very True! Bearsy.

. At long last, after a thwarted attempt last year, we had an All-Nighter in Bournemouth and it worked!

. I believe well over 200 came through the door and the vast majority were up for hefty chunks of Rare and Underplayed upbeat soul as previously outlined by the promotion.

. You could draw parallels with Bournemouth Railway Club when it played a long night of heavy soul and then some more! As so much of the music had an Umph! Especially some of the RnB soul with deep vocals and sharp edged instrumentation.

. Karen Bridges and Rachel later informed us that we had missed some fantastic music in Room 2. Which I'm sure of, knowing the likes of Tim Smithers were playing next door. Unfortunately, I can only speak of what rolled out in the Main Room, as that is where Jan & I spent our time.

. We managed to settle down in a corner with a good vantage point that overlooked the dance floor, just as Mark Sargeant came on at 10 O'clock. He steadily built up the numbers taking to the floor through plays such as Jackie Paine - No puppy love, Otis Blackwell - It's all over me, Billy Davis - Stanky get Funky and Al Robinson - Sho' bout to drive me wild which he skillfully interdispersed with rarer sounds that I couldn't name but for those he announced to the audience as with Little Jimmie Ballard - Guilty of love and Oscar Tollard - ?

. The mood had been set and the night was flowing as Mark completed what I considered to be the most balanced and expansively far reaching set from the night, finishing with quick stepping tunes to fire up the floor as in The Q - That's the way and Jimmy & Vella Cameron - Loving you is such a groove, before handing things over to Sean Haydon.

. Sean in turn played plenty of notable music that I hadn't ever heard before, amongst the obvious crowd pleasers of Darrow Fletcher - The pain gets a little deeper, Chosen Few - Birth of a playboy, Joe Mathews - Ain't nothing you can do, Robert Thomas - Salvation and one of the very few lighter hearted plays from the night, The Constellations - I didn't know how to. A couple of rare plays really stuck in my mind by Rufus Thomas - ? and an exceptional version of Gimme Shelter.

. The stage was now set for Karl Heard, who began with the frantic Torch instrumental Hold on help is on the way - G Davis & R Tyler, followed soon after by The Hytones - Good News and a string of rare numbers that struck a chord with the crowd. Some of these plays were hard edged and gutsy. The type of heavy soul that would put shudders up the spine of those that prefer lighter commercialized soul. Yet the deep beat music pulsated and the dancefloor simply bristled with the slick and lively movement of seething bodies. It was something to witness and behold, for you didn't have to be in the thick of it to feel it. The diverse and individualistic style and movement of the dancers were visually entertaining in themselves.

. Coupled with the music, the atmosphere reached it's peak throughout Karl's first set.

. The lighting was dimmed down, with it being quite dark to one side of the dance floor. As I was dressed in all black, I found myself being somewhat camouflaged in the shadows and as I do like to move around a bit when dancing, I decided to take the precaution of changing my T-shirt to become more conspicuous. For Health & Safety reasons of course.

. Des Parker followed at 1 a.m. with the same format of Rare & Underplayed alongside the odd oldie in The Delites - Lover, The Tranells - Blessed with a love and Hayes Cotton - Black wings have my angel. I could name some other plays in Lainie Hunt - Suzie Q and Ray Agee - I'm losing again. But as with all of the D.J.s on this special night, only detailed playlists will give a truer and more comprehensive picture.

. Bearsy stepped in at 2 a.m. and seemed disappointed when the floor started to dwindle to some of his initial offerings of away from the well beaten track music. He restored things with two requests, the superb Wooden Nickels - Nobody but you and Roy Roberts - You move me. Following up with other floor fillers such as Gene Toones - What more do you want, Vondells - Hey Girl you've changed, Dreams - Jessie James and a favoured stomper of mine Dickie Wonder - Nobody knows. Other notables were The Cautions - No other way and The Vontastics - Let me down easy. But the one that really struck a chord ( for the second time of the night ) was The Celebrities - I choose you.

. Come 3 a.m. and a few people had already made tracks. But Karl Heard's pulling power during his 2nd set kept the floor relatively busy for the next hour. He introduced himself with a play that he knew would draw out a response, The Districts - One Lover, which was followed by some fresh sounds that were distinctly strong on the horn sections with deep and heavy vocals. One such play he mentioned as by Charles Johnson - ? Really blew me away.

. Of the underplayed stuff, I picked out The Re Vels - I want a new love and Jay Griffin - Lucky me as plays that floated my boat. Towards the end of the night, he sandwiched in a few superb Oldies as in Sam Ward - Sister Lee, Towanda Barnes - You don't mean it, Morris Chestnut - Too darn soulful and the iconic stomper Joe Hicks - Don't it make you feel funky.

. Dave Abott opened up at 4 a.m. with the superb Roy Roberts - Got to have your love and then a couple of plays later, Tommy Neal - Going to a happening.

. I think these two plays were introduced to give his other rarer stuff a chance, which were every bit as good as what had been delivered in the previous set. However, many from The Karl Heard Fan Club had dissipated or were then making their way out shortly after Karl's finale and thus, Dave was going to have his work cut out to keep the floor going.

. Upbeat tunes such as one he announced as being by The Mystiques - ? certainly did the trick and so did the odd mid-tempo tune of say The Hyperions - Why do you treat me this way. One new to my ears that really hit the sweet spot was a tune titled Dam Sam. Unfortunately, I only managed to dance to the tail end of it. I realized I had to get out of chin scratching mode and belatedly join the likes of Alfie Linney, who had been giving it some on the floor. Another play of Dave's that I found truly danceworthy was by Oz & The Spurlings, so Bearsy informed me.

. Russ Vickers came on for the last hour and began with an alternative version (artist?) of I'll come running back. Numbers had dwindled considerably with only the die-hards remaining. The likes of Lindsay, Karen, and Rachel, Bearsy and Marie, Alfie and others were going to keep the floor going. We decided to call time and left at 5.15 a.m.

. It had been a really special night to savour for so many reasons, but not least some of the superb and enlightening new music, accompanied by the eccentric and diverse crowd of travelling niter devotees who lit up the proceedings.

. There is so much I could say about our encounters with the different folk, but this report is already long enough. However, I have to make mention of a really friendly woman who sat alongside us.

. Her profile name on this site is the tongue-in-cheek 'Bintofsoul.'

. The truth being that Niki is anything but that, for she's a lovely, amiable and effervescent lass. She said that she has lived in Eastbourne for many a year, yet she hasn't lost much of her accent or her South Yorkshire charm. We look forward to rubbing shoulders with her again!

. Sallie and Rodney were really made up with the number of eminent soul people who had made the pilgrimage to Bournemouth. I know that they had got a real kick at how the night had flowed and thanked many for their support, which every event relies on to make it successful. But in reality I'm sure many of us feel very grateful and thankful to our hosts for putting on such a memorable night.

. There's always a buzz and Kudos that goes with being a promoter. But we all know that it takes vision, plenty of bottle and alot of financial commitment to put this type of event on, leave alone all the time and effort that goes into networking, advertising and coordination to make it all happen.

. And happen it did!

. Many Thanks , Dave ( & Jan ) Mortimore

Edited by Dave Mortimore

Source Advert