Going To A Happening Weston Super Maresat 25Th June

GRAND ATLANTIC HOTEL WESTON SEAFRONT BS23 1BA...GUESTS SEAN CHAPMAN,NIGE BROWN..RESIDENTS PETE FRENCH,TROWBRIDGE MATT and me!

60s and 70s northern classics,in-demanders AND semi known..the twist will be rnb,latin,funky NORTHERN not outright funk and maybe some mod and even a couple of ska... if sean feels its right! all original vinyl ofcourse

8am til 2am with a bar till 1230

great venue with a top dancefloor and sound system by pete french

hopefully the first in another long running south west soul nite...next dates fri 14th oct fri 2nd dec

more info..promoter martin 07771 682300

hope you can help us make this a top nite

dean

Edited by spacehopper
  • Replies 38
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest bunty

really looking forward to this one!:lol: let's hope it gets the support it deserves! :D such a nice venue! :yes: well done Martin for putting this together :lol: .....see you on the dance floor :lol: :lol:

Should be a top nite- well done for getting this venue on the soul map again Martin. I've always enjoyed the soul nites in the past here as the place has a real good feel to it! Be great to catch up with old friends and new- and it will be great to play a few tunes- ktf

Guest matt tees

Really looking forward to Martin's Going To A Happening at a fantastic venue surely one of the best in the South West, this has got a real buzz so expecting a fab turn-out and an excellent DJ lineup of some quality local Jocks plus UKs most respected and likable cheeky chappie that Nige Brown geezer! Pete hope you enjoy your fish and chips and looking forward to playing on your superb sound system. Really looking forward to playing alongside Trowbridge's and found memeber of the south wilts soul society the legend that is Matt 45rpm and also a very nice geezer. Now Dean what can we expect from you, other than upbeat quality soul!! Go for it my son!! Right all we need is for the south west to really get behind this event so hope to see you all there Now Lets be aving Ya!

Edited by matt tees
Guest Dr Pickles

We're up for this.

Here's a sneaky peak at the 1930's style ballroom in the basement.

It really is a very atmospheric venue.

gallery_1774_234_85701.jpg

See you there.

Doc

Looking forward to a revisit to Weston , last time I was at this venue we shared our room with the Flirtations , it will bring back lots of lovely memories.

Plus I have had a very challenging week at work this week , so I look forward to letting the frustrations of the week out :thumbup: Add to that the weather looks promissing so a nice walk on the beach is on the cards :( travel through friday night early hours to arrive for a good hearty breakfast Saturday .

Can't wait !

If youl parden the phrase!!

Will there be an AFTERNOON session!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

There used to be in the OWD days!!

We will be there from around dinner time guess Sat!!

Nige

PS Have you still got that Picci of you and the Flirts on the Stairs that i took Lollo it were brill!!:(

Edited by Nige Brown
Guest Glawster

If youl parden the phrase!!

Will there be an AFTERNOON session!! :rolleyes::D

There used to be in the OWD days!!

We will be there from around dinner time guess Sat!!

Nige

PS Have you still got that Picci of you and the Flirts on the Stairs that i took Lollo it were brill!!:thumbsup:

The last couple down The Grand the afternoon session was dropped,Martin's not mentioned it,so I can probably assume no,see ya both Saturday.

looking like its gonna be a top nite out!...50 confirmed on facebook with another 48 maybes...couple of quotes...'thers a mini invasion from bristol'...and....'looks like a massive invasion from south wales'....

this will cheer top man martin up as jackies been in hospital most of the week :thumbsup: ,hopefully she might be out for saturday

see you there 8pm tomorrow :rolleyes:

dean

Guest Glawster

looking like its gonna be a top nite out!...50 confirmed on facebook with another 48 maybes...couple of quotes...'thers a mini invasion from bristol'...and....'looks like a massive invasion from south wales'....

this will cheer top man martin up as jackies been in hospital most of the week :thumbsup: ,hopefully she might be out for saturday

see you there 8pm tomorrow :thumbsup:

dean

Ye heard Jackie was in hospital on Seans show Weds night - Get well Soon Jackie x x x

...and....'looks like a massive invasion from south wales'....

Well there's a car load of us from Cardiff, I think Wazz and Lorraine are going, maybe Edwin, Sean and Michelle (DOH! of course he's a DJ!). Who else from this way? Eddie from Porthcawl? Any others?

I realise I may be slightly biased, BUT, what a fookin line-up!!

If you miss this.................... you aint got soul!!

DJ Times -

8.00-8.40 Matt

8.40-9.20 Dean

9.20-10.00 Pete

10.00-11.15 Nige Brown

11.15-12.30 Sean Chapman

12.30-1.00 Matt

1.00-1.30 Dean

1.30-2.00 Pete

See you there,

Martin

07771 682300

Ta Des for those kind words- the same goes for you mate, you've introduced us all to so many great tunes in the past- catch up soon I hope- I think its gonna be a top nite as the people are always so friendly at Weston with a great taste in music. So happy to see a continuation of this great venue after Ken and Mick did such a great job. Martin has organised it so well and a big thanks to him for letting me play a few tunes with such good company.

Good luck with this, great venue, unfortunately elsewhere Saturday - Highly rate Dean & Matt, so hopefully be down to support you guys at a future date :thumbsup:

Des Parker

Guest Glawster

Dont look like we will be down in time for the crazy golf challenge Pete,Rich picking us around 6,so fish n chips then to a happenin - Mart wishing you great success with the night,great resident DJs and what can be said about Nige and Sean ,Top Jocks!!!! Superb night in store,see ya later!

Well there's a car load of us from Cardiff, I think Wazz and Lorraine are going, maybe Edwin, Sean and Michelle (DOH! of course he's a DJ!). Who else from this way? Eddie from Porthcawl? Any others?

james'redfox' parker from cafe a go go should be there and i heard someone mention a mini bus load..could be nige graham etc? they had a bus at bridgewater last year..

thanx des! dito what matt said...

well tunes sorted...unless the postman turns up with another parcel :rolleyes:

dean

Guest wazzette

Yes mark we will be there, nice to see you again see you later

lorraine

Guest wazzette

Yes mark we will be there, nice to see you again see you later

lorraine

Superb night have to applaud the djs last night they all played with a high risk factor giving us some tunes which were not the norm in my experience of soul nights. Their efforts were rewarded with an appreciative crowd .

Musis system was superb as was the dancefloor .

Lovely touch dedicating your last sound to absent friend nige shaw browny . And what was lovely was everyone remembered him .

Yes I agree well said, Nige was a great mate with a great passion for the music and scene, great to see so many in last nite and thanks for everybody who listened and danced! well done Martin for giving us another nite to remember ! ktf

Superb night have to applaud the djs last night they all played with a high risk factor giving us some tunes which were not the norm in my experience of soul nights. Their efforts were rewarded with an appreciative crowd .

Lovely touch dedicating your last sound to absent friend nige shaw browny . And what was lovely was everyone remembered him .

big thanx to everyone who came and danced or listened hoped you enjoyed it as much as me!...a real pleasure playing on such a great system and then dancing to top tunes on a lovely dancefloor...great venue and crowd from all over the sw and south wales..and bloody hot!

BIGGEST thanx goes to martin for promoting and asking me to play...top nite mate..see you at the kings hall

dean

Superb night indeed. Our car load all enjoyed it immensely - great mix of sounds and a fine DJ line up. Dean in particular excelled. Looking forward to more please!!

Nige Brown's dedication to Nige Shaw was touching. Once known, never forgotten and remembered with much affection.

Hi all!!

Thanks for the comments, seemed everyone had agreat nite!!

Yea, havin Jackie in hospital dont help in getting things together!!

106 in, was hoping for a few more, but, hey ho, times is hard!!

Lost a bit of cash, but what the f...k, life is to short!!

Onward and upward to the next on

Friday 14th October

See you there!!

Guest wazzette

As everybody says excellent night,, musically brilliant, we really enjoyed it,

will be back

and to bev and martin love your taste in music that cd brilliant thanks for that

lorraine.

Guest Tamlasue

What a brilliant night. The venue and floor as we know is top class, throw in a group of great dj's that played top tunes all night then add the company - what more could you ask for thumbup.gif

Martin - to say the night was a success would be an understatement and I know you worked your socks off to get this venue back on the soul map

Looking forward to the next one in October thumbsup.gif

Martin

I am really sorry to read you lost money on your first night , it doesn't surprise me though when you take into account the overheads of hiring such a superb room and the Sound system /equipment was the very best , add to that many Dj's , your layout must have been plenty.

I don't know what the answer is , maybe less Dj's ? and put the price up slightly , either way promoting a quality soulful experience is costly.

But ... and its no comfort on your pocket , you had very mush a great opening night , if success was to be measured by Happy feet and returning customers .. I think you have cracked it !

Well done you , and taking into account you have been t 6's & 7's with the Mrs being poorly you did a great job ! :lol:

Edited by Carms

great to hear so many of you enjoyed it as we did thanx for all your comments...i think in the future there may well be only one guest dj...although the main cost with this nite along with flyers is the venue but as with the sound you get what you pay for and sound and venue are two major factors in making a nite sucsessful....as matt and myself are reasonably local and only turned up played our tunes and enjoyed ourselves we both declined any money when we heard martin had lost...infact i havnt made anything from the last 3 nights ive played at but despite the cost of original vinyl BELIEVE ME I AM NOT COMPLAINING as i love it... im just expressing how hard it is to put nights on and make a profit

as for saturday i know of a few who were on hols,had trouble getting babysitters or at the tewksbury scooter rally..or lifeline...there was also a scooter do in weston friday night...there always something on and money is tight..as you have to book venues and busy djs so far in the future its just luck whether you clash with another night sometimes

its great to hear martin so upbeat especially after the last couple of weeks jacie has had...im sure word will get around to those who missed this and hopefully they and you will get to the next night even if it means rushing on a friday after work...i know im already looking forward to it...matt was on first last time so i reckon i will be next time and rearing to go with more of the same BUT not necessarily the same..if you get what i mean :hatsoff2:

hope to see you there!

dean

Guest bunty

What a brilliant night!!yes.gif music, :yes: venue, :yes: friends :yes: & dj's :yes:... Well done Martin, what a shame you lost out on the deal tho! I would be quite happy to pay a couple of quid more to get in!! as I'm sure a lot of others would too,

as far as numbers go I thought it was comfortable with 106! another 100 surely would make it overcrowded! :lol:

always great to see Wazz & Wazzette wave.gif & glad you liked the cd! once again I came away with a little wazz momento ....it was a fantastic flyer for the manor hotel crickhowell with a free sample of the "essential" white powder! :yes: talc!:D ......erm, well I think that's what it is! :thumbsup: .... yes, the directions on the back say "spread contents on the floor" ( as usual Mart didn't read the instructions!! :ohmy: )

see you at the next one!

xx

PS. I think this should now be in lookbacks?

Edited by bunty

Source Advert