Polish On Records

Evening

received an bay purchase today which cost me over £100. was described as ex but certainly isn't. what has annoyed though is the fact that the seller has coated it in some sort of black shiny polish. I've seen this before but don't know exactly what it is these dealers use. it comes off with a wipe of a record cloth though to reveal the true state of the record. which was horrible. anyone else had instances or come across this practice?

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I bet its probably silicone spray , still wrong though , I would query how he grades his records and why he feels the need to decieve buyers .

Or report him and try and get your money back

yeah, i've just had a reply from him and he's saying no refunds. will let ebay/paypal decide the outcome. Sillicone spray makes sense, like what is used on 80's car bumpers to bring them back to black. i've had this before. Bought a Fleur de Lys 7" a few years ago and he's done the same. record played fine though so didn't mind.

this record however is well worn. bg hiss throughout. sounds not to bad on a mono player, on a stereo one, awful. graded ex FFS.

Social source share

pmsl, i thought you meant Polish, as in, from poland and was go to mention a great version of 'who do you love', by a baltic soul singer, LOL.

yeah i see what you mean. i feel guilty now so will have a word with the polaks i know and see if they can dig something up. there's quite a few round here who are vinyl mad. not sure they have good taste though.

Hans good luck with e bay etc

Mark, cheers, we've had a bit of a ding dong via email but now he's starting to talk sense and be reasonable. looks like he's examined the facts and realises he's in a bit of a lose situation.

Social source share

Evening

received an bay purchase today which cost me over £100. was described as ex but certainly isn't. what has annoyed though is the fact that the seller has coated it in some sort of black shiny polish. I've seen this before but don't know exactly what it is these dealers use. it comes off with a wipe of a record cloth though to reveal the true state of the record. which was horrible. anyone else had instances or come across this practice?

:hatsoff2: HI ALL .... This is an old 70s trick, i am guilty of guilty of myself, and sold a few records with a substance I found at home in the cubord, it was like a very thin oil with a blackish dye in it you could polish up knackard records and they would look new, :ohmy: back then I had no scruples, now is so differant, :thumbsup: we have discussed many differant ways to get the best out of rare records that have sufferd over the years, and there are loads of excellant cleaners & shiners out there to use when cleaning your laptop, for example whiteboard conditioner is a safe product and gives the plastic life again, as does WD 40, but to sell something for top dollers as something it clearly is not is fraud, and you have consumar protection rights, threaten the seller with a downloaded legal letter stateing your intentions, dont use a lawyer at this stage they cost to much :thumbup: DAVE

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert