Northern Soul Genres

Guest leeham987

First one Northern...............second one lounge music/airy fairy............a ballad...........does anyone ever dance to something that slow. Hats off to anyone who can!!! :sleep3:

:wave: Hi Carol....yes me :thumbsup::lol:

Hats off to ya Chris........I'd feel like I was stood still!!!! Horses for courses but still a ballad to me................whether it's Crossover or not.............a Crossover Ballad or maybe even a Ballad Crossover, lol ..........fancy a Waltz anyone, lol. :sleep3:

Social source share

First one Northern...............second one lounge music/airy fairy............a ballad...........does anyone ever dance to something that slow. Hats off to anyone who can!!! :sleep3:

:wave: Hi Carol....yes me :thumbsup::lol:

Used to fill the floor at The Orwell & similar such events !!!

Social source share

Guest Marky Tee

Great reply VIP. and what a class pair of tunes as examples. To be honest anyone who dismisses crossover as designer soul or shit etc, are either talking out of their arses, attempting comedy or talking out of their arses. What you will find however, is that the northern crowd will usually be dancing to uptempo crossover tunes about 5 years after the crossover fans have been playing them. Forget about genres and enjoy good music.

Jordi

Not me I'll be having a fag when this comes on, and I dont smoke ....yet. Give me a shout when Eddie Parker is on. :wink: Edited by Marky Tee
Social source share

A lot of the stuff here sounds like B sides of northern records or the stuff that used to get thrown into soul packs or tapeswappers sounds.....fast forward.That Dolly Gillmore record is taking things down to a new level.....messy production,no direction and no tune.Can you blame the top 500 oldies brigade for not broadening their horizons if this is what they are subjected to when they go out.

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Thanks for the heads up, its just not for me, but if you like it tis all that matters.

I like most of it all Marky wether it be rare, oldies, newies, crossover, rnb, funky,modern, if its soulful it has a chance to my ears, not saying it should all be played out in a main room but every tune has a time and a place imho :hatsoff2: but the main thing about them tunes is that they are what i beleive "Crossover" to be :thumbsup:

what about you Marky what would you use as an example to describe Crossover ??

Social source share

A lot of the stuff here sounds like B sides of northern records or the stuff that used to get thrown into soul packs or tapeswappers sounds.....fast forward.That Dolly Gillmore record is taking things down to a new level.....messy production,no direction and no tune.Can you blame the top 500 oldies brigade for not broadening their horizons if this is what they are subjected to when they go out.

thats a bit harsh Wiggy, has anyone said that these tunes should be played in the main rooms, wrong thread if you think that, its about a fella asking what Crossover is so a few examples have been put up :sleep3:

Social source share

Exactly. Great description. Tapeswappers sounds.

Social source share

Guest Marky Tee

I like most of it all Marky wether it be rare, oldies, newies, crossover, rnb, funky,modern, if its soulful it has a chance to my ears, not saying it should all be played out in a main room but every tune has a time and a place imho :hatsoff2: but the main thing about them tunes is that they are what i beleive "Crossover" to be :thumbsup:

what about you Marky what would you use as an example to describe Crossover ??

To me its anything I would use as an excuse to sit down to.I like 100mph NS cant help it its just me. Its just people get so vehement about crossover and its clear that the genre is so widespread and diverse, therefore I asked a perfectly valid question but got a few flippant responses. Bearsy I thank you for the examples, and in all honesty they are the kind of songs I would not dance to. In a few years time my tastes may change, who knows. To each his own, but I havent ridiculed anybody's choice of music. There was a recent thread about what you consider to sum up NS. Some of the posts made me cringe, but some choons I love were ridiculed too. Its what makes it what it is. ATB mate.
Social source share

To me its anything I would use as an excuse to sit down to.I like 100mph NS cant help it its just me. Its just people get so vehement about crossover and its clear that the genre is so widespread and diverse, therefore I asked a perfectly valid question but got a few flippant responses. Bearsy I thank you for the examples, and in all honesty they are the kind of songs I would not dance to. In a few years time my tastes may change, who knows. To each his own, but I havent ridiculed anybody's choice of music. There was a recent thread about what you consider to sum up NS. Some of the posts made me cringe, but some choons I love were ridiculed too. Its what makes it what it is. ATB mate.

Marky its not about wehter you would dance to them or attend a crossover event or even if you like them, this thread is about what is Crossover, its getting mixed up with people thinking "do you like and would you dance to Crossover and should it be played in a main room"

so even though we now know you dont like Crossover which there is absolutely nothing wrong with that its all about personal preference,

what would you use as an example to describe Crossover :yes: come on get off that fence you will get splinters dont you know :lol:

Social source share

Guest Marky Tee

Marky its not about wehter you would dance to them or attend a crossover event or even if you like them, this thread is about what is Crossover, its getting mixed up with people thinking "do you like and would you dance to Crossover and should it be played in a main room"

so even though we now know you dont like Crossover which there is absolutely nothing wrong with that its all about personal preference,

what would you use as an example to describe Crossover :yes: come on get off that fence you will get splinters dont you know :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrJo2dt_PqY Anybody got a pin. Edited by Marky Tee
Social source share

Does anyone remember buying stuff like this blind.

Played once then into the crap pile.I just want good records.Good enough to be played in s main room.I collect other forms of music and I have the same ethos there.Everything should pass the main room test unless you are trying to fill that c90 tape.

Social source share

Does anyone remember buying stuff like this blind.

Played once then into the crap pile.I just want good records.Good enough to be played in s main room.I collect other forms of music and I have the same ethos there.Everything should pass the main room test unless you are trying to fill that c90 tape.

what has that got to do with this thread, why dont you go back to the threads first post and have another read about what this thread is about :thumbsup:

Social source share

Now this is where the term crossover makes no sense to me. To me Jessie Fisher is just brilliant 70s northern along with Crystal Motion, Pages, etc... oh well. :P

Matt to save me starting a new thread, whats 70s Northern :lol:

Social source share

hmm interesting, when this tune with all the crossover hallmarks sits nicely at position number 28. (Top 500) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

No I'm sorry, that's Northern Soul and you can't hang another title on it 30 years after the event just because it now fits into another category as well.

Social source share

hmm interesting, when this tune with all the crossover hallmarks sits nicely at position number 28. (Top 500) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Dont confuse the poor old knockers of quality Soul music on a Rare Soul Forum, they will be dancing to Northern Soul one day and half way through realise that it could actually be classed as crossover too and then would have to rush off the floor just incase anyoine caught them out :lol:

Social source share

Guest Marky Tee

Dont confuse the poor old knockers of quality Soul music on a Rare Soul Forum, they will be dancing to Northern Soul one day and half way through realise that it could actually be classed as crossover too and then would have to rush off the floor just incase anyoine caught them out :lol:

Hope they dont slip on the talc and have to duck under the arms of the okeh cokeh'ers. But just illustrates the point doesnt it.
Social source share

No I'm sorry, that's Northern Soul and you can't hang another title on it 30 years after the event just because it now fits into another category as well.

Well, spotted Pete but that's why I stated with all the crossover hallmarks!!!!! It's the same with many tracks like James Fountain Seven Day Lover which could be classified as Northern Soul/ Crossover!!!

If both would have been discovered today they would be called Crossover Northern Soul and I am sure just because of that name tag people would say it's rubish!!! :D :D :D :D

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Matt to save me starting a new thread, whats 70s Northern :lol:

Well any 70s release played at northern events used to be 70s northern (even if it was funk, pop, etc...). I hadn't heard the term crossover until around maybe twenty years ago and like Steve assumed it was pounding early 70s that sounded 60s (which Jessie Fisher isn't) but now it seems to mean melodic, slightly funky, mid-tempo floaters.

I think i'll stick with the only two terms I know... northern... and soul. :lol:

Blimey i'm starting to sound like an okey cokeyer. Better get on another thread and slag some oldies fans off quick :thumbsup:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Well, spotted Pete but that's why I stated with all the crossover hallmarks!!!!! It's the same with many tracks like James Fountain Seven Day Lover which could be classified as Northern Soul/ Crossover!!!

If both would have been discovered today they would be called Crossover Northern Soul and I am sure just because of that name tag people would say it's rubish!!! :D :D :D :D

But they were discovered 35 years ago, thats the point, they ARE Northern Soul not crossover.

Think we could be here all day on this one so I'll leave you to it. But I'll give you something like Lynn Varnado - Wash and wear love - that it crossover. And it was rubbish 35 years ago and is rubbish now.

Social source share

But they were discovered 35 years ago, thats the point, they ARE Northern Soul not crossover.

Think we could be here all day on this one so I'll leave you to it. But I'll give you something like Lynn Varnado - Wash and wear love - that it crossover. And it was rubbish 35 years ago and is rubbish now.

Ahhh , now I get it !!!! Everything you don't like is Crossover / Northern Soul !!!! Everything you do like is Northern Soul !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by viphitman
Social source share

Well any 70s release played at northern events used to be 70s northern (even if it was funk, pop, etc...). I hadn't heard the term crossover until around maybe twenty years ago and like Steve assumed it was pounding early 70s that sounded 60s (which Jessie Fisher isn't) but now it seems to mean melodic, slightly funky, mid-tempo floaters.

I think i'll stick with the only two terms I know... northern... and soul. :lol:

Blimey i'm starting to sound like an okey cokeyer. Better get on another thread and slag some oldies fans off quick :thumbsup:

so what is Crossover then Matt :wicked: meet you on that other Oldies bashing thread :lol:

Social source share

Other genres

Beat ballads

Reggae

Island soul

Popcorn

Giffer

Funky as in keb style funk

Funky as in northern style funk baby boy

Rare soul the term upfront is often used

Modern not modern ie seventies mecca style

Upfront modern new releases

New breed r and b

Oh and not forgetting the okey cokey

• Helpful 1
Social source share

i got it i think ive finally worked it out :ohmy: its dreary b sides that are shite that was made for the Northern crowd to hate just so they could enjoy their Northern even more and to try to kid themselves that ALL Northern is obviuosly so figging amazing and soulful anything else just is poop :thumbup:

funny thing is im kind of trying to defend quality soul music and yet im not that big a lover of Crossover :lol: like all the genres under the Northern Umbrella i like some and i dont quite like some as much as others :hatsoff2:

right now where did Matt go i feel like defending some Oldies today :lol:

Social source share

if this is cross over, i don't like. :sleep3:

hopefully Leeham its giving you a taster and a clue to what some people might class as Crossover, we cant like it all :hatsoff2:
Social source share

Guest leeham987

hopefully Leeham its giving you a taster and a clue to what some people might class as Crossover, we cant like it all :hatsoff2:

Yeh, seems confusing. To be honest i believe if you like it you like it if you dont you dont, no matter what genre. As you say people have different opinions. Just heard the term alot and just wondered.

cheers for all the replies.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Yeh, seems confusing. To be honest i believe if you like it you like it if you dont you dont, no matter what genre. As you say people have different opinions. Just heard the term alot and just wondered.

I think that's the best way to think about it mate. We get too hung up on genres these days.

Social source share

you keep beleiving your ears too Leeham enjoy :thumbsup:

Social source share

Other genres

Beat ballads

Reggae

Island soul

Popcorn

Giffer

Funky as in keb style funk

Funky as in northern style funk baby boy

Rare soul the term upfront is often used