Are Some Northern Fans More Into Collecting Than The Music?

Geeselad

I also find it weird that in my experience, some people who can't afford it like to get the most expensive records. I think it's sort of an ego thing (versus being music driven) in that case. People always say here that there are thousands of good cheap records, which is true, but I'm not really seeing them when I look at the event playlists.

I noticed a playlist from the I think "underplayed" scene and it was really varied, of course now I can't remember who did it or what it was called. Was fun to look through though. I often am more cagey about sharing info about cheaper records I play personally...

Social source share

I noticed a playlist from the I think "underplayed" scene and it was really varied, of course now I can't remember who did it or what it was called. Was fun to look through though. I often am more cagey about sharing info about cheaper records I play personally...

I agree, it not only makes it easier for other people to copy your set / style but once it becomes "known" it's not cheap anymore.

Social source share

British Red and white demos - yes fantastic. There's something special about them. With a number of them you wonder why did they release them here? WHat was the market? Good case in point "The Drifter" - championed by DJ Alan Freeman no less at the time, but clearly not going to be a big seller. And yet someone at UA decided it was one that should go into the quota and get a release here (no doubt in exchange for the US releasing a record by a UK act).

Even more bizarre some of those European releases - I mean 7 Souls, Joey Irving, Wil Collins and Willpower etc....anyway I digress, having a good British box is a must in my view....

:hatsoff2: HI STEVE If Pete has not stated this fact before, Back in the 50s & 60s the music publisher and the song writer soaked up all the Money, the singer got paid by session and the musicians got paid less than a Dustman and if they were sick they had a tuff way back, the world of showbiz is great if you start looking how it evolved over the 1st 40 years and notice how the pecking order works, i have the article you talk about, and it ideal for making my point.

1, at 1st glance we are swept away with the notation of the article half a century on, This classic recording that belongs to the longest sub youth culture without a break our scene the IN CROWD that has many similar secrets and codes to the GAY SCENE, We feel secure that we are on the scene, there's no dark corners to worry about, we are indeed a band of GIPSYS as no one dictates to us except for the top 20 names who have us all hooked on there iconic status and the control that they have exploited from our loyalty and weakness when we are in there company, (right wing politics are made from such people as us) Think about the work by Pavlov? and the Dogs??

2, Once we analyze the article and similar articles in BILLBOARD, we can see something on many pages, :g: in Evey add or picture the artist is glammed up for showbiz the 60s this is so noticeable, with the trend of white men with long hair, what the world of showbiz would make artist do, to secure a job?/ again to make a point, the record by SONNY & CHER "I GOT YOU BABE" ON ATLANTIC RECORDS, GREAT RECORD, I will get back to that later, you don't need a picture as your brain has every thing you have looked at in your life stored away that my trigger is going to allow you to look at a picture in real HD, just think what SONNY BONO looks like take a real good look at his cloths his face his features his hair, what did you see and did you take in everything and put aside the showbiz if you did you will see a real nerd but a clever middle class nerd far away from the underground scenes that started in the UK HE IS WAREING BRAND NEW CLOTHS WITH THE LATEST LOOK, almost like a hippie, but we all know he would not ever leave the safety of the middle class and DROP OUT, he is political in manner, and 100% fake, look at his grooming his stupid hair cut, and the garland around his neck, how many forgot to remember the garland?

3. Still with SONNY & CHER, let's look who they have a contract with?? ATLANTIC RECORDS again we can easy be swept up by just me stating this RECORD LABEL again if we can see hundreds of of different variations of the records label sleeves and the artists and many many hit records some of the best recordings that will still be popular and unequalled when we all have gone from the our bodies, WHY is SONNY BONO & his misses we call CHER? working for ATLAANTIC? surely they would have been more suited at CAPITAL or REPRISE RECORDS rubbing shoulders with the RAT PACK?

4, So lets remind ourselves where we are? I am talking about 1 hit record by SONNY & CHER on ATLANTIC, which was owned by ?? in the SOUTHERN STATES, below the MASON DIXON LINE what white AMERICAN call DIXIELAND, the home of REDKNECKS and NASCAR C&W MEMPHIS NEW ORLEANS. oh yes I was forgetting to state the white trailer trash, hillbillies and the low life NIGGER who would rape you wife children and your mother, and then call you Boss! there is not a good one, thank the LORD we have the KKK, who will string them up. Like a STRANGE FRUIT*

5, I remember the 60s and my early days on our scene and the reggae scene to quote a well known face on our scene, " I Hate Niggers but you have to admit no white person can sing like them" if that sounds like someone you know. please go away from me?

Have a cuppa TEA, as I have planted a seed, you have to add liquid so it can grow, also if any thing I have written causes you offence, don't give me the Political correctness lecture just to be a goody goody as I like to associate with bad men? sorry I meant black men? soz!

6, RED & WHITE DEMOS and obscure records, as a 16 year old many off the people I associated with had a major impact on who I am today especially in fashion and music, REGGAE SOUL MOTOWN STAX ATLANTIC A WHITE UK PROGRESSIVE BLUES, Quality cloths that gave you the freedom to fight or Robb a chemist or nick a car or scooter just because I could , unlike today I use to get a kick out of lets say spending 30 minutes emptying a Cigarette machine at 3 in the morning? in fact I gave away little but took any thing i could get for nothing, I was not a bully far from it I Just did not give a Monkeys, places like SOHO and CLUBS like the Twisted WHEEL in MANCLAND, for many of you stands for the HOLY GRAIL if you attend the WHEEL now I bet you are wafting about with the showbiz razI am sure you have a great time,

The Twisted Wheel was for me a 60s Club with great Music, but if you have a Cockney Accent and you went into the pub before the WHEEL what reaction do you think I got asking for a pint of light & bitter in a jug, i guarantee that no body got screwed by the pilled up 4 by 2s,

6, the Fluff article was in the trade mag for one reason he was representing the EMI company, a paying respect to our American cousins, HE could of said thanks for sending Ray Pollard over to the UK he enjoyed play to a UK audience? (USAF BASES) and he even cut a few tracks at ABBY ROAD for us and the session was so good I am thanking you by the way did you like Hermann's Version of the Earl Jean number so can you plug his version hard as the Dutch Have her signed up, BLAH BLAH BLAH.

7, the Drifter is a rare record because it was the Song that EMI wanted, and RAY is just to Black for the UK well Fluff Freeman said that it would be a good song for John Balladry, and we all no when he is called Long John,

8 , I do concede although the evidence is conjecture, Both singles Are UK recordings and that's why there are a few white cover versions released in the UK IN THE STATES who else did a cover , maybe there's a undiscovered Garnet Mimms on tape, but the record is to real for 60s SofA , just like Billie Holidays STRANGE FRUIT was???

WHO Made the most money from ATLANTIC a. the SOUL CLAN or b, SONNY BONE with his hit I got you babe,

I do hope there was something in this scribble that makes you think and feel the GROOVE THANG! and these are just opinions from me, and not 100%factual??

:g: mmmmm!!!! DAVE60 :sleep3: Has he finished yet :rofl:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!