Shelleys Longton

Guest FrostyJak

Dont forget the Music Shop Shewins ( i think it were called that) it stood were the doors are now as you walked into the Potteries Centre in the main square " up Hanley duck" ,,,,, thats were Minshull found the UK Hickory Demo of Babrbara Mills Queen of Fools ,,, in a basket full of 2 shilling records!!!!

Again people take the piss nowdays ,,,but that was a hell of a find back then,,, and he made it a Torch all nighter Anthem not long after!!

Edited by Nige Brown
Social source share

Guest FrostyJak

the potts had a lot of good venues over the years went

THE TORCH

THE BEAR

ANTELOPE

TIFFS NEWCASTLE ALL-DAYERS

KEELE

ALSAGER LIBERAL/LABOUR CLUB ?

PENDRAGON ALSAGER

JOLLIES

ROMAN CANDLE-more jazz funk

Shame on me i only ever made way to Keele & Jollies out of these but wished i'd have made it to a lot more :thumbsup:

I work with a lot of potters, one guy is a rate "Neckender" :lol: he recalls loads of night spots in longton & up hangley not all soul but one that i'm sert he's pulling me bout he recons was across from bus station & underground called Le Pussy anyone remember that :g:

Social source share

the potts had a lot of good venues over the years went

THE TORCH

THE BEAR

ANTELOPE

TIFFS NEWCASTLE ALL-DAYERS

KEELE

ALSAGER LIBERAL/LABOUR CLUB ?

PENDRAGON ALSAGER

JOLLIES

ROMAN CANDLE-more jazz funk

Around that time of Shelleys I also went a decent soul night at Florence Colliery Club, just a few miles down the road.......not sure how many were held there, but can only remember going once.

I know there has been soul events there in recent years, but did anyone go back then, and was it just a one off?

Edited by Mace
Social source share

Can't even remember DJing at that Starsound Allnighter @ The Princess Suite on the above flyer....but that must be the only flyer I've ever seen with my full name rather than my nickname.

John Cope on that same flyer may have been the guy with the TV shop in Tunstall and knocked about with Clowsey?

Social source share

Around that time of Shelleys I also went a decent soul night at Florence Colliery Club, just a few miles down the road.......not sure how many were held there, but can only remember going once.

I know there has been soul events there in recent years, but did anyone go back then, and was it just a one off?

they did a few nighters there as well, lightwood lane? think it was neil and jackie clowes running it, okeh promotions, I just remember that fecking awful frank wilson istrumental filling the floor.

Social source share

they did a few nighters there as well, lightwood lane? think it was neil and jackie clowes running it, okeh promotions, I just remember that fecking awful frank wilson istrumental filling the floor.

as no one mentioned the lesuire dome/ jollees, that was a nighter venue in the mid to late 8ts.

Social source share

Might well have been a nighter that I went to......memory ain't what it was.....

Social source share

rememder going an all dayer at romeo & juliets in hanley / seem to remember elvis costello was on at the victoria hall the same day !!

Where was Romeo & Juliets, did thet used to be the Steam Machine? I went an alldayer there & Gary Fulcher got beat up by a bouncer, had to go the cop shop as a witness & Sham 69 were in there. Got arrested while playing at the Vicky Hall, think they broke into a kiosk to steal some chewing gum.

Social source share

Shame on me i only ever made way to Keele & Jollies out of these but wished i'd have made it to a lot more :thumbsup:

I work with a lot of potters, one guy is a rate "Neckender" :lol: he recalls loads of night spots in longton & up hangley not all soul but one that i'm sert he's pulling me bout he recons was across from bus station & underground called Le Pussy anyone remember that :g:

It was called the "EL PUSSY" and yes he`s right.

Social source share

Guest FrostyJak

It was called the "EL PUSSY" and yes he`s right.

Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

Great name for a club dunnu think ya would get away with using it now :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!