Soul/gospel/blues/r&b Indies Books

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I have the four volume R&B Indies and the first Soul Discography and personally think they are a great resource. They are a massive undertaking and as you would expect there are some omissions and errors. Nothing else like them in print out there. Recommend them. The R&B Indies has sold out though so you'd have to get them from someone second hand, I had the last copy of volume 4 :-)

Social source share

I had the first two R&B Indies but sold them so I could get the Soul Discography instead. I plan to buy the complete next set of R&B Indies when they're due. As Chalky said, they're never gonna be 100% complete but at a wild guess they're probably about 70 to 80% complete.

Social source share

well, you guys are the first two to say anything nice about them :D

other replies have been along the lines of "terribly inaccurate", "abundant misinformation", "very erroneous", "includes records which don't actually exist", "plagiarized all the info from my website without credit", "total garbage", "these guys don't actually collect soul so how can they publish a discog for something they don't collect", "regenerated misinformation" & "especially useless" :D

I will probably save my money for now :thumbsup:

Social source share

well, you guys are the first two to say anything nice about them :D

other replies have been along the lines of "terribly inaccurate", "abundant misinformation", "very erroneous", "includes records which don't actually exist", "plagiarized all the info from my website without credit", "total garbage", "these guys don't actually collect soul so how can they publish a discog for something they don't collect", "regenerated misinformation" & "especially useless" :D

I will probably save my money for now :thumbsup:

I thought I did reply (with the things you are saying) and i saw the reply, but the next day I couldn't find my post, like it had been deleted or something.

Social source share

Like any guide I take nothing for granted and double check any info if unsure. Also like any guide, especially something on this scale there will be omissions and errors, I don't think I've seen a reference book yet that doesn't have errors and mising info?

As for plagiarising thats between the parties concerned but I know many sites who have plagiarised other sites for their info, well known and respected sites. It goes on all over the place.

They are a welcome addirtion to my shelves and like I said you won't get the R&B Indies as it is sold out unles it has had a reprint to which I am unaware of.

Social source share

Like any guide I take nothing for granted and double check any info if unsure. Also like any guide, especially something on this scale there will be omissions and errors, I don't think I've seen a reference book yet that doesn't have errors and mising info?

As for plagiarising thats between the parties concerned but I know many sites who have plagiarised other sites for their info, well known and respected sites. It goes on all over the place.

both of these things are true, but it's the type of and extent of mistakes that is problematic (for example, assuming that anyone with the same name is the same person, even though it should be obvious to most collectors many of the cases where that isn't true).

I just wrote a long response with some examples but I don't want to get into it here because a lot of the people that feed him info (who actually are collectors and who do have accurate information) are on here and I don't want to get into a debate over this.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert