Old Miami Soul Shows

Detroit's most dynamic stage act hit the scene (though not with a gangster lean) in 68 down in Miami.

Billy Prince tells me that they didn't actually like the club at all (the Knight Beat @ NW 6th St & 3rd Ave -- it was too small he says) but as this gig was en-route to a big show in Jamaica with a host of top acts (Johnny Taylor, Joe Simon, Solomon Burke and others) they had to do it.

He says he absolutely loved the Jamaican gig and that although the people were poor they were very nice ...

... ... he even enjoyed the 'Islands' experience after he had all his clothes stolen !!!

post-22122-0-04053600-1339057503_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

The 'London Soul Revue' hits the Shelbourne Hotel's 007 Club.

The Shelbourne is an original 1940s Art Deco building on South Beach (1801 Collins Ave). It has recently been refurbished, so today it seems like a prime location to stay at on Miami Beach (though by all accounts many of the actual bedrooms still look like they are back in the 70's).

Why this show should have been badged up as 'the London Soul Revue' I have no idea other than the fact that the theme of the hotel's night club back then was James Bond-ish.

These days, the music featured at the hotel is a wee bit different ....

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Didn't know if to post this here or in the 'Artists We Know Nothing About' thread.

Is much known about Helen Glover and is the 'Miami based' lady the same one who cut for Nelber Records (working with Gil Askey who I don't think had Miami connections apart from playing live shows there at times) .......

... what if anything is known about her ??

post-22122-0-59140000-1339741745_thumb.j

Social source share

Tenor sax man Noble "Thin Man" Watts was from Florida and went to A&M University (1942). After he'd finished college he teamed up with Paul "Hucklebuck" Williams, recording with him for Jax (1952) and playing behind Dinah Washington, Amos Milburn and Ruth Brown on the mid-1950s 'Showtime at the Apollo' TV show. In 1954 Noble signed with DeLuxe, who released the 45 "Mashing Potatoes"/"Pig Ears and Rice". By 1956 he was on Vee-Jay with Paul Williams' band ("South Shore Drive") but signed a personal deal with New York based Baton Records. With his band, Noble enjoyed releases with "Easy Going", "Blast Off", "Shakin" & "Flap Jack", etc for Baton from 1957 to 1959. His biggest track was "Hard Times (The Slop)" which made it onto the US Pop charts in December 1957.

Boxer Sugar Ray Robinson had became his manager during the late '50s and remained in this role into the early '60s, Noble leading the house band at the boxer's Harlem lounge. His later releases (during the '60s) for Sir, Cub, Enjoy, Peanut, Jell, Clamike, and Brunswick enjoyed little sales success but he made a comeback in 1987 with a fresh album on Kingsnake (later picked up by Alligator). He was still recording in 1993, by then being signed to Ichiban's Wild Dog label.

During the 1960's, he still played loads of live shows and returned to Florida (Miami) for some engagements.

post-22122-0-26608900-1340092850_thumb.j

Social source share

Another show at the New Parisian Room featured Jesse Ferguson & the Gospel Jazz Singers ..

... this outfit later changed their name to Jesse Lee Ferguson & the Outer Limits ...

and then again to Jesse Ferguson & the Jet Setters ....

post-22122-0-75783700-1340150460_thumb.j

Social source share

Anyone know where Jesse Lee Ferguson & the Outer Limits "New Shoes" was cut ??

As B B Cunningham Jnr was involved, I'd guess it was Memphis (or maybe Nashville) but I'm only going by BB's usual place of work & his studio / label affiliations.

Social source share

Not sure I fully understand the Marvel(l)s / Fabulettes story .......

I know the Mar-vels (their name seemed to get written / spelt a number of different ways) were around by 1963 and for 2/3 years they recorded under that name.

Then they were renamed (on their records & by their new record label) as the Fabulettes ... BUT .. as they already had a 'high profile' on the Miami club scene, I believe they still did live gigs in their 'home town' as the Marvells.

That's what I've been able to piece together as well.

Anyway, after cutting as the Fabulettes for around 3 more years they were reduced in number (from 4 to 3) when Annette Snell quit & headed off to New York with Paul Kelly.

So by 1969, the group were a trio and Annette Snell was a solo artist.

If anyone can add more to their story (as I have laid it out above), please feel free to do so ....

..... anyway back to the ads ..... I'm not sure if Annette Snell was still a group member for this mid July 1968 gig but the picture of the group used in the ad shows 4 members ......

I've tried to collect all the pieces of their bio here: https://boogalooinvestigator.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12:the-story-about-the-rise-and-fall-of-the-mar-vells-aka-the-fabulettes&catid=13:artists&Itemid=31

Social source share

Helen Glover was still resident at the club in the Hotel Shelbourne at the end of 1969.

By then, the Hotel had redsigned their club ad a little, but it was still roughtly the same.

Seems no one here knows if this Helen Glover is the lady who cut for Nelber.

post-22122-0-76912900-1340307455_thumb.j

Social source share

Seems that people in Miami weren't clued up enough (even after reading the above ad) to know that Herb Reed was out of the Platters ......

... so the ad was changed a few days later to push home that point (only part of ad posted) ....

post-22122-0-44538500-1340691770_thumb.j

Social source share

Still down on the beach .............

a strange act that seemed to play resorts such as Miami & Vegas most of the time ...

plus they made an LP that has its fans (though the tracks I've heard off it are way too MOR for me) .. anyone know much of anything bout em ....... that's THE BROTHERS RE-BORN ....

post-22122-0-64225800-1340752178_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Both the Drifters & Herb Reed were still getting bookings down in Miami towards the end of the 60's ...

just up the road in Ft Lauderdale, the Coasters were also playing live back then ........

post-22122-0-99560700-1340813153_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Columbus Smith (this time backed by the Chevrons) must have been locally based ....

.... as here he is on at the Wreck Bar once again, but 4 years after the show I posted an ad for above. ...

post-22122-0-32480700-1340959975_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Just got word from Emily at the Black Archives Org in Miami that their exhibition opened earlier this week. They used copies of some of the old Miami club ads that I had sent in the exhibition. She forwarded photos of the 'opening' of the event; some of the ads I sent have been blown up to in excess of 10 ft tall (I have them at higher definition than I post them on here .... need to make them the right size to display well here).

She will send me further updates on reaction to the exhibition as it progresses.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

... .... and down at the Knight Beat just one week later .....

... the entire Sir John Revue package (including 'Peacocks' Little Eddie Taylor) were still on ..

... this Revue would leave the Sir John Hotel at times to tour the islands of the Caribbean.

post-22122-0-95415000-1341125397_thumb.j

Social source share

Here's a show by a somewhat 'unknown bio' type of artist ..... Mary Hylor.

I know that she was born (I presume in Miami) around the end of the 1940's .....

.... she got into singing & cut the track "He Walked Down The Isle" which was released on MPRC (Music Production & Record Corp out of New York) in the mid 60's.

She did loads of shows from the mid to late 60's at the top Miami 'black' clubs (such as the Hampton House).

..... by the late 60's, she seemed to be getting a bit more jazzy ....

Later in life I think she got a degree, became a Doctor (not a medical one) and had a spell working on behalf of Liberia.

She was still around (& singing) in Sept 2009 when she performed for the Historic Hampton House Community Trust, Inc.

Can anyone fill in some of the gaps on her career / life ??

post-22122-0-06712500-1341244744_thumb.j

Social source share

In the 1960's, lots of Bahamians moved across to Florida ...

so it was only natural that some of the Island's entertainers would follow them over to do some shows

........ one of them was Jay Mitchell who was in MIami in the late 60's & early 70's ........

.... (and he even got to record a few tracks down at Criteria studios) ...........

NUMERO liked the stuff he laid down & so (later on) released a 12" & a VA CD with his stuff on.

post-22122-0-73924100-1341302621_thumb.j

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!