Derby Assembly Rooms

Tezza

Probably my first all niter - 1979 I think. Chris King was DJing cos he picked me and me mate up in his merecedes convertible as we were thumbing it home in the morning - bollocked me mate for slamming the car door!

Not sure who else was on - we met up with the Lincoln crew. Had me first 3 back street blues and was off my trolley dancing on a packed dance floor to the likes of So Is The sun, Statue, Up and Over, Walk in My Shoes, If you can't say anything nice. etc.

Well, that's how I remember it - it was a long time ago.

Peter

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

would have been late 78 to mid 79 ? .. I remember the big buzz cos it was where they had "come dancing" on the telly ... it was dead posh compared to almost anywhere lol .. it had clean carpets :) ... can't for the life of me remember who was on .... remember the kings hall in derby too .. with the boarded over swimming pool as i remember right ?

pete .

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest mickmac

That must have been the easiest night for the Derby DS, their office window was exactly opposite the Assembly rooms first floor windows. They didn't even have to leave their office.

Edited by mickmac
Social source share

would have been late 78 to mid 79 ? .. I remember the big buzz cos it was where they had "come dancing" on the telly ... it was dead posh compared to almost anywhere lol .. it had clean carpets :) ... can't for the life of me remember who was on .... remember the kings hall in derby too .. with the boarded over swimming pool as i remember right ?

pete .

I remember it being very late in the 70's and as you said, immaculate compared to the 'usual' venues. Felt like we had to wipe our feet going in instaed of coming out !! Can't find anything on Internet about it so trying to remember but there was a Nighter every week plus other stuff so difficult to pinpoint Times, Dates, and DJs etc

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest soulboymick

Werent the promoters back then Terry Samson and Chris K? A fantastic niter when the scene was slowly slipping away....ie '79. Went to every one....Matlock Dayers too

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Werent the promoters back then Terry Samson and Chris K? A fantastic niter when the scene was slowly slipping away....ie '79. Went to every one....Matlock Dayers too

Terry 'Okay Okey Okeh' Samson ??

Loved the Matlock Dayers - Never missed them and the Nighters he used to do at KGB in Sheffield

Social source share

Guest Phil Armstrong

I Know Richard Searling was on because he came up to me asking if it was true that one of Pat Brady's big cover ups at the time had been unearthed Sensitive Mind, General Assembly ( Don Varner ) it had, days earlier

Terry and Chris were the promoters, I remember a lot of people on the scene couldn't believe that they had managed to get such a great venue, they also promoted Derby Tiffs and the Kings Hall

Social source share

I Know Richard Searling was on because he came up to me asking if it was true that one of Pat Brady's big cover ups at the time had been unearthed Sensitive Mind, General Assembly ( Don Varner ) it had, days earlier

That Don Varner record was orrible - it still is.

:wicked:

Social source share

Guest Phil Armstrong

That Don Varner record was orrible - it still is.

:wicked:

Maybe but was well sort after in the day, as were others that probably shouldn't have been.

Social source share

I quite like Don Varner these days, mainly because it's one of those songs that takes me back to a time, a place and a certain atmosphere and point in time. Musically not the best tune in the world but it has one of those time travel effects on me :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!