Spine Tingling Record

Pete S

I agree with this statement. Very soulful but rocksteady at the end of the day.

Dont know Pete...depends on which way one cuts the cloth...I have heard Jamaican soul..there are some who would call it rocksteady...but i would call it soul...at the end of the day..I think it is down to individual taste..btw love the music you posted babe..got anymore???? Delxx

Social source share

• Replies 57
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Dont know Pete...depends on which way one cuts the cloth...I have heard Jamaican soul..there are some who would call it rocksteady...but i would call it soul...at the end of the day..I think it is down to individual taste..btw love the music you posted babe..got anymore???? Delxx

Of which Del, the stuf on this thread or on the podcasts or wot..tell me and I'll knock something together for you

Social source share

Just found this again - well worth a listen!

This is a Jamaican record but it had the same effect on me as my northern favourites did when I first heard them..I was just blown away by this. And I'll tell you why.

This guys voice is fantastic, it always is/was, but it's the incessant one note played by the baritone sax and that fantastic guitar playing the background which plays a really melancholy tune towards the end of each verse.

No doubt every one will disagree but I think this qualifies as a soul record.

Hi Pete....I have a 45 by Slim Smith on High Note....everybody needs love....its in same vein as track you just posted do you have that?

Social source share

Of which Del, the stuf on this thread or on the podcasts or wot..tell me and I'll knock something together for you

Well...I quite like this thread actually.. i also like the stuff you have put out on podcasts...so i am quite easy to please babe.. so all really...thanks .... :thumbsup: Delxx

Social source share

Hi Pete....I have a 45 by Slim Smith on High Note....everybody needs love....its in same vein as track you just posted do you have that?

yes that was a big record for him in the UK, came out on Unity, quite a few versions of the backing track as well...it's 2 years later than the one I posted which was a long time in Jamaican circles in those days, music changed from rocksteady to reggae

Social source share

This is how I got into soul, via records like this one.

True it's not soul, but there are so many great singers in Jamaica who'd be hailed as legends on the soul scene had they popped up to the US and recorded in Detroit or Chicago.

Toots Hibbert and Ken Boothe immediately spring to mind.

I'll be doing a soulful Jamaican vocals special on my next podcast, to be posted later tonight.

If anyone wants to know more about Jamaican stuff then what Pete and I don't know between us ain't worth knowing!

Regards

Gordy

Edited by BigGordy
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert