Dj Spots - Forecasts Against Actuals

• Replies 51
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest dundeedavie

I only ever go into a spot knowing what the first tune is , the rest i make up depending on what the crowd have responded to during the course of the evening before i go on

Social source share

Guest Dodger

I always have half a dozen definites but more often than not it's a case of reacting to what's going on in front of you which doesn't always fit with what you've had in your head beforehand.

Social source share

had in my head all last week the spot i was gonna play at nuneaton then when it came to it hardly played any of the tracks i was going to...due to requests , too much beer etc

does anyone else do this ??

Kind of stuck to my guns on Saturday but the thinning floor was getting to me so popped on a couple of oldies and went back to playing what I wanted, kind of worked out for me......I think :):yes:

Lenny

Social source share

Kind of stuck to my guns on Saturday but the thinning floor was getting to me so popped on a couple of oldies and went back to playing what I wanted, kind of worked out for me......I think :):yes:

Lenny

===

think ure right lenny

for me its gettting the balance right,,,who the audience are,,dancefloor activity,,etc etc

when im on a niter,,i write some tunes i defo want to play then leave the rest to see what happens

Social source share

I always have half a dozen definites but more often than not it's a case of reacting to what's going on in front of you which doesn't always fit with what you've had in your head beforehand.

Your completely right, Roger any one who says they get to a venue and make it up as they go along, IMO is lying! every one knows at least half a dozen to a dozen 'definates' that they are going to play, befor they get to a night any one tells me differnt well there talkin boll**ks IMO :yes:

Social source share

Guest the dukester

had in my head all last week the spot i was gonna play at nuneaton then when it came to it hardly played any of the tracks i was going to...due to requests , too much beer etc

does anyone else do this ??

You must have some idea of what you want to play, come hell or highwater you will play them!!!! (Tunes you bought that week, ones you dug out that afternoon and played at home sounding great?

But depending on what time of the night you are on the requests come thick and fast so you must play the requests musn't you? (discuss) cos if not the punters keep on coming back and asking when you are going to play their chosen tune :yes: put in a polite way I might add (not) Usually after 10 pints @ around 10 to 10-30pm

The customer is always right my good old Mum used to tell me :)

Social source share

You must have some idea of what you want to play, come hell or highwater you will play them!!!! (Tunes you bought that week, ones you dug out that afternoon and played at home sounding great?

But depending on what time of the night you are on the requests come thick and fast so you must play the requests musn't you? (discuss) cos if not the punters keep on coming back and asking when you are going to play their chosen tune :D put in a polite way I might add (not) Usually after 10 pints @ around 10 to 10-30pm

The customer is always right my good old Mum used to tell me :D

I don`t plan my spots.I like to be more spontaneous. That way it`s more fun for me and the punters cos they never know what they`re going to hear next. I sometimes smile when I see fellow deejays open their boxes and they`ve got notes sellotaped to the inside of their record box lids.. :) ( Didn`t think you could analyse human nature-as it changes everyday. Play the same 45 two days in a row-you won`t have the same effect on each day, even with the same crowd!! Maybe we could employ psychiatrists to buy and play records for us for each individual venue we do :)

You`re all right about the beer though...and too much of it..trouble cueing em in..failing judgement.etc,etc. :D

Edited by The Soul Intention
Social source share

But depending on what time of the night you are on the requests come thick and fast so you must play the requests musn't you? (discuss) cos if not the punters keep on coming back and asking when you are going to play their chosen tune :) put in a polite way I might add (not) Usually after 10 pints @ around 10 to 10-30pm

=============

Had the following said to me by at least four people over the weekend. One of them a reasonably prominent DJ. "A DJ has a responsibility to the floor, too many are more interested in playing their latest purchases, rather than entertaining". Found it quite a refreshing attitude personally

Winnie:-)

Social source share

Guest Dodger

Your completely right, Roger any one who says they get to a venue and make it up as they go along, IMO is lying! every one knows at least half a dozen to a dozen 'definates' that they are going to play, befor they get to a night any one tells me differnt well there talkin boll**ks IMO :D

I always, without fail, get home from a gig and when I'm looking through the boxes to remember what I played for playlists etc. I again always without fail come across four or five tracks and think "F*CK!! I meant to play that". If you can get away without doing it, happy days, but I'd guess the majority who care about what they're doing behind the decks will give some kind of forethought to an upcoming set.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Your completely right, Roger any one who says they get to a venue and make it up as they go along, IMO is lying! every one knows at least half a dozen to a dozen 'definates' that they are going to play, befor they get to a night any one tells me differnt well there talkin boll**ks IMO :D

i take a 100 box of possibles ...i know what the first one is and the rest depends on what mood i am in and what the crowd has reacted to and any one of that 99 left could be next ...and ps ...as it was me who said it you are calling me a liar

Davie

, but I'd guess the majority who care about what they're doing behind the decks will give some kind of forethought to an upcoming set.

forethought yeah , but surely that comes when you are packing the box , the only thought i have is the flow , ie going from a middish start up thru uptempo and down again towards the end , what fits into that comes with the night

Davie

Social source share

I only ever plan my first 2 records (which can change) then I go with whats been played whats not been played... I always think if you plan your set in your frontroom that day.. you may have a 70's head on (for example) and if the dj before you has just played a 70's set and it didn't go down to well.. you need to play something else.. If its half way through the night and no ones played any R'n'B then I play a bit of R'n'B... If the dj before has played a lot of stompers i'll go midtempo... I never plan a set and don't think I ever will, I now have enough faith in my playbox that I hope I don't have to worry and I can sort it as my spot goes on... (my box may not be to others taste but thats a differnt story)

With me I only put in my box what I would play and that are dancers, I don't carry records around I would never play or I don't have faith in... I know people who do this... why?

I always think theres no need to carry a box of 300 around with you... if at the end of the day you wouldn't play half of them anyway.

Mind you, your playbox is a perssonal thing... so each to there own

Social source share

i take a 100 box of possibles ...i know what the first one is and the rest depends on what mood i am in and what the crowd has reacted to and any one of that 99 left could be next ...and ps ...as it was me who said it you are calling me a liar

Davie

Come on Davie! so you never pack your box and include some fav's or records you know that'll get em going, The only way you can get to a gig and make a whole set up is if some one gave you a box of 50 count records and you had to make a spot up with it, even if you think your making it up as you go along sub conciously your not :D you'll know tracks in your head that your going to play or you want to play and you know what records are in your box that will 'fit' with them records, or you have new records you want to play your latest discovery ect.......

Social source share

Guest Dodger

With me I only put in my box what I would play and that are dancers, I don't carry records around I would never play or I don't have faith in... I know people who do this... why?

I always think theres no need to carry a box of 300 around with you... if at the end of the day you wouldn't play half of them anyway.

Possibly some people prefer to go to a gig well and truly over-prepared rather than what they consider under-prepared?

Social source share

But depending on what time of the night you are on the requests come thick and fast so you must play the requests musn't you? (discuss) cos if not the punters keep on coming back and asking when you are going to play their chosen tune :) put in a polite way I might add (not) Usually after 10 pints @ around 10 to 10-30pm

If you take pride in and enjoy the type of set you put together, I'm sure you will have an idea of the record's your going to play out, remembering of course you've got the spot because the promotor of the venue has heard your style before and this is why he/she booked you, ie; If their trying for something different and booked you for this, they won't appreciate you sticking a load of played out oldie's on, even if floor quiet and vice versa,as defeat's the object of what they hope to achieve. What previous dj's have played in their set will affect what you plan to play so flexibility is a must. :)

I alway's ask my favorite dj's for request's because it's the only time I get the chance to dance to that special tune and also it let's them know that I have taken an interest in their set's and appreciate good record's. Can see it being really annoying to some, especially if they get a lot of request's, but is a compliment if the person is making the request because you have it, not just asking anybody for anything. :D

Karen

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

I think there seems to be a bit of confusion between planing a spot and thinking.....sorry knowing a few records that you will play :) there is no way you can plan a spot first! but like i said thought goes into it and you know in your head a few your going to play, as i said any one who's say's differnt is talking bollocks :D

Social source share

Gotta disagree with the general idea of planning a spot....whether mentally planned or written down.

Also cannot understand how anyone would have a definite tune to open their set with, because surely it depends on what the last DJ plays so as to keep a flow to a busy floor, or to change course if being left with an empty floor? :)

Also what happend if previous 3 DJs have played all the tunes from your pre-planned spot???

Flip 'em over and play the Bsides??? :D

Not saying you don't have tunes you wanna play, or prefer to play, or know are safe floor fillers.

Not even denying that some records seem to sit perfect after each other, so if you play one, you automatically wanna play the other.....but only if it works in the set and suits the venue/crowd.

Social source share

Guest Dodger

Also what happend if previous 3 DJs have played all the tunes from your pre-planned spot???

Then I'd say the promoter has wasted his/her money booking 4 DJ's if they're all going to play the same tracks!!! :D

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

I think there seems to be a bit of confusion between planing a spot and thinking.....sorry knowing a few records that you will play :) there is no way you can plan a spot first! but like i said thought goes into it and you know in your head a few your going to play, as i said any one who's say's differnt is talking bollocks :D

then we agree ....to a point

Social source share

Never really plan a set, will take records out of the box, add a few etc then turn up with the box and play what I feel are right for the night, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Always have a idea of a few I want to play before hand but usually never works out :):D

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

I have only once nearly played what I planned, on that occassion I had listed them down prior to the set and tick them off as I played them, I think I got about 90% of them in, why I did this I don't know, and I have never done it since. :D

Social source share

Not really qualified to answer this thread as my last attempt at Dj -ing was my first. But here goes anyway.

I don't think following a firmly set playlist is as important as following tempo's. By this i mean maybe splitting your box into sections of tempo, i.e fast stompers, mid temp 60's, mid temp 70's, fast 70's, enders e.t.c. This way you can respond to what the dance floor is wanting much better.

I say this because i used to hate & could never understand DJ's that flip from say stomper straight to slowie or 70's to 60's stomper & then back to a 70's just because someone requested it (if you get what i mean)

To me a good DJ & a good spot should be like a flowing curve with peaks & troughs of tempo rather than a series of short highs & lows. Seen it so often where everyone rushes to the floor for a great record of the tempo that they obviously prefer only for the next track to be totally different.

Also i think, if a track has the effect of clearing the floor & it stays that way for more than a minuite, fade it out !!

Rounding up then, what i am trying to say is i don't think it is over important whether you do or don't follow a playlist providing the tempo follows on ( i think :D ) & also the customer is King/Queen.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Come on Davie! so you never pack your box and include some fav's or records you know that'll get em going, The only way you can get to a gig and make a whole set up is if some one gave you a box of 50 count records and you had to make a spot up with it, even if you think your making it up as you go along sub conciously your not :) you'll know tracks in your head that your going to play or you want to play and you know what records are in your box that will 'fit' with them records, or you have new records you want to play your latest discovery ect.......

thats what i said , i pack the box with around 80 tunes all of which could be played , thats the thought that goes into it ...and if i do have a sub conscious idea of what i'll play save for hypnotising me we'll never know :D

Social source share

For once in his tiny mind mace is spot on,of course people are going to pack records in the box they might play,but as for makeing playlists and records to play first what a load of bollocks,and even worse i ve seen a few on here say what they will spinning at certain clubs,whats that bollocks all about.Lots of moans from wanna be djs on here about big name djs always getting spots,well maybe thats the difference they just go out and do it, because they can.IMHO of course.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

For once in his tiny mind mace is spot on,of course people are going to pack records in the box they might play,but as for makeing playlists and records to play first what a load of bollocks,and even worse i ve seen a few on here say what they will spinning at certain clubs,whats that bollocks all about.Lots of moans from wanna be djs on here about big name djs always getting spots,well maybe thats the difference they just go out and do it, because they can.IMHO of course.

thats what i was saying andy ... i spose i knew the first tune i was gonna start with because it was a slowish number for me and the person before me would have ended with a slowish tune do the tempos will have been condusive ....but ... after the first one it was pretty much anyones guess hahaha

Social source share

The only way you can get to a gig and make a whole set up is if some one gave you a box of 50 count records and you had to make a spot up with it,

Wouldn't that be fun! Imagine that, get to an event to DJ to be told "leave your box in the car, we've already got some here you can use" Jeez, you'd all be in trouble if you had to use 50 of mine! :yes:

Social source share

I plan my first record about a half hour before my spot...it sometimes takes some thinking about...then I`m away....but i can change records 2, 3 or even 4 times between records......I think I`m getting that compulsive disorder thing....i keep checking and changing my mind.....on Saturday I had Skip Jackson on the decks at least 7 times and it never got played in the end!

Chris

Social source share

=============

Had the following said to me by at least four people over the weekend. One of them a reasonably prominent DJ. "A DJ has a responsibility to the floor, too many are more interested in playing their latest purchases, rather than entertaining". Found it quite a refreshing attitude personally

Winnie:-)

Says it all

common sense at last

:ohmy::ohmy:

Social source share

Says it all

common sense at last

Seconded! you might as well stay at home otherwise.

WHY!!!!! these latest purchase's might be floor fillers! :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Says it all

common sense at last

but surely the dj whilst having this responsibility to the floor also to the floor has the responsibliity of moving them forward , i'm probably not wording this right ... for example when i play something the crowd won;t know i try and make sure it is the tempo and type of tune they want with it being a boring oldie .... does that make any sense??

and also i spose if the new buy of the dj isn't dancefloor acceptable in his eyes then he shouldn't play the bloody thing anyway ...

that post was garbled but i hope i made a point somewhere

Davie

Social source share

Guest rachel

Kinda what I was going to say... I think most DJs buy/play things because they believe in them and want to share them with people... don't always judge it right but the intention is usually to entertain.. isn't it? :ohmy:

Social source share

but surely the dj whilst having this responsibility to the floor also to the floor has the responsibliity of moving them forward , i'm probably not wording this right ... for example when i play something the crowd won;t know i try and make sure it is the tempo and type of tune they want with it being a boring oldie .... does that make any sense??

and also i spose if the new buy of the dj isn't dancefloor acceptable in his eyes then he shouldn't play the bloody thing anyway ...

Davie

I think you explained it better than me Davie.....i think we we're getting at the same point :ohmy:

...................in very much dangers of going into....no im not going to say it :ohmy:

Social source share

Kinda what I was going to say... I think most DJs buy/play things because they believe in them and want to share them with people... don't always judge it right but the intention is usually to entertain.. isn't it? :ohmy:

Spot on Rach, al though my post had two meanings :P Im quite complex you know :ohmy:

I was also stating that what if the new purchase was something realatively known, and is a proven floor filler!! should they not play it!!! :ohmy:

Social source share

Davie

Davie whats happened to our listening to" new " tunes?ATB Stevie Got it now Nostalgia......Bloody sickening...ATB to the Highlands Stevie Edited by steve z
Social source share

Davie

I alaway's have a few records to one side that I consider my safety tunes................if a record bombs, then these are the sure fire tunes that will hopefully regain the floor. DJ's should entertain, but it is also your responsibility to hopefully educate too, without clearing the floor completely if this is done in a sensible fashion.

Russ

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Davie whats hapened to our listening to" new " tunes?ATB Stevie got it now Nostalgia......Bloody sickening...ATB to the Highlands Stevie

stevie , have to hold my hands up and admit to not having the faintest idea what you are talking about ... i said , i think , that play them a tune they don;t know but keep it within the parameters they expect without making it a boring oldie

Davie

cept i never put the out in , but everyone got that

Social source share

If these are being used with a primary motive to entertain or more accurately to create an atmosphere, then it doesn't represent a problem though does it?

Edited by noss
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

If these are being used with a primaery motive to entertain and create an atmosphere then it doesn't represent a problem though does it?

what else would they be used for .... getting a tune exposure maybe :ohmy:

Social source share

stevie , have to hold my hands up and admit to not having the faintest idea what you are talking about ... i said , i think , that play them a tune they don;t know but keep it within the parameters they expect without making it a boring oldie

Davie

cept i never put the out in , but everyone got that

Hi Davie,I try to play tunes lesser known BUT Brill .Jimmy Phillips ,Mal Adams,Jes Stewert,Al Armstrong,Brad Rawling,...........and last one for now.....Alberta Weeks........ATB Stevie

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Hi Davie,I try to play tunes lesser known BUT Brill .Jimmy Phillips ,Mal Adams,Jes Stewert,Al Armstrong,Brad Rawling,...........and last one for now.....Alberta Weeks........ATB Stevie

i admire you stevie for that and i'm struggloing to reply to your point as i don't think there was one in that post .

very random way of agreeing with most peoples points

Social source share

Davie whats happened to our listening to" new " tunes?ATB Stevie Got it now Nostalgia......Bloody sickening...ATB to the Highlands Stevie

Do you mean good records Stevie or just records a select few think are good????? and what's wrong with quality oldies??? perhaps you can explain? Not having ago just curious about you one man crusade to convert the masses.....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

I ALWAYS PLAN MY SETS AND ALWAYS STICK TO THEM BUT MY MAM KEEPS TELLING ME TO TURN THE NOISE DOWN OR I'LL GET WHAT FOR WHEN DAD GETS IN FROM THE 'DEAF-FERRET'...THEN I USUALLY WAKE UP .....

CHRIS M :ohmy:

chris ....you are mad ...and i dig that about you :ohmy:

Social source share

I've been to too many nights where the DJs use their set as an opportunity to enter into a pissing contest with other DJs. As someone said - I've even been to nights where the DJ has had a pre-defined set list and has stuck to it even in the face of empty floors and bored punters. They either didn't want to adapt, or couldn't adapt to the wants of the assembled crowd. Spinning stupidly rare but tedious records for your own entertainment isn't in my opinion what a progressive scene is about.

By no means am I saying that boundaries shouldn't be pushed or that new things shouldn't be tried. Those are the sort of nights I'd be more interested in attending - not nights where the same old DJs spin essentially the same insanely in-demand and expensive discs. There's no fun in that as far as I'm concerned. All you need is deep pockets, a herd mentality and a healthy dose of self-obsession.

I started out on the rare soul scene at a time where new and interesting things were being tried, and indeed new releases were still being actively played and it should never be about the DJ's ego - it should be about a DJ using the best music that's ever been made to entertain those who are good enough to come and support him or her.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

All you need is deep pockets, a herd mentality and a healthy dose of self-obsession.

I started out on the rare soul scene at a time where new and interesting things were being tried, and indeed new releases were still being actively played and it should never be about the DJ's ego - it should be about a DJ using the best music that's ever been made to entertain those who are good enough to come and support him or her.

:ohmy: if i said that i'd get slaughtered ....again ... agree 100% though

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert