• Views 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Jamie get yourself down to Wigan on Friday mate, you'll love it trust me

Dr Troutman

link

I've gotta do it, Troutmaster, but I'm playing this Friday, otherwise I would have flown across in my helicopter.

I have spoken to a few of the guys and we are deffo gonna come across. It looks very much up my street.

Have you got any forthcoming dates??

J J Jameson. :)

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Not yet but i will have some after the weekend :) I'm pretty sure they are going monthly in the new Year..........Yeeeeeehaaaaaaawww as Jethro would have said bless him

Social source share

Not yet but i will have some after the weekend :) I'm pretty sure they are going monthly in the new Year..........Yeeeeeehaaaaaaawww as Jethro would have said bless him

link

Are you playing there again Troutmeister?

From what I heard twas a very good 'do' :D

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

No not this time, but Jordi and Dave both have fantastic collections and Bob can do a bit himself :):D To be honest it really is well worth the trip whoever is guesting.

Trotski

Social source share

Johnny Two Salmon, can you sell the Orwell experience to me please?

Including all the boring bits like....doors open/close etc

We may make the effort this Friday.

Thanks mate

Shane

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Johnny Two Salmon, can you sell the Orwell experience to me please?

Including all the boring bits like....doors open/close etc

We may make the effort this Friday.

Thanks mate

Shane

link

Shane it quite simply is my favourite soul night anywhere :thumbsup: This months event is a homage to the Soul Essence Weekenders at Gt Yarmouth so expect everything from 1970 onwards quality assured and a smattering of quality 60's.

DJ's as stated earlier Dave & Jordi Rippoles, Flanny, Baz Maleady, Ste Connor, Plumby and special guest Bob Cosby.

Doors open 9-2 (21:00 - 02:00) Get there early doors as Jordi and Dave (The Dentist wink.gif ) are doing the first spot and it will be well worth getting there early for if previous spots are anything to go by!!!

For the Orwell head to Wigan and follow the Brown signs for Wigan Pier (Do not follow Mick Howard!!!) or if you fancy a drink there are plenty of travel lodges a mere hop skip and a jump away (OK a taxi ride!!)

Hope to see you there Shane and anyone else from the list.

Will post up the official E Flier if Plumby ever gets his arse in gear and sends it out :lol:

Von Trout Out :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Tis a pleasure Shane, another thing there are always a fine selection of tunage on offer sometimes ridiculous amounts, we have picked up some lovely stuff there in the past :thumbsup:

John

Ooops sorry that's me sunday name Trouty :thumbsup:

Social source share

All in my very humble opinion of course wink.gif

Eloise Laws - Love Factory (Northern Classic Oldie)

Lady Margo - Simply Want To Make It (Crossover)

Willi J & Co - 'Boogie With Your Baby' (Funk/Northern Classic Oldie)

James Fountain - 'Seven Day Lover' (Funk/Northern Classic Oldie)

Channel 3 - 'Sweetest Thing' (Crossover)

Art & Honey - 'Let's Make Love Now' (Modern/Crossover)

Fantastic Johnny C - 'Don't depend On Me' (Northern Classic Oldie)

link

Couldn't agree more!

Eloise Laws, Willy J and James Fountain were all big plays at Cleethorpes in the 70s, and therefore also Peterborough, St Ives etc (though if you go to an anniversary/revival for the latter two venues now you wouldn't think so)

So how could those of us who embraced them then consider em to be anything other than classic oldies?

Interestingly, having not heard Willy J for yonks, heard Sam play it a while back (immediately after Joseph Webster, went well together IMHO), so next time he was on I asked him to do the same and whether he played it often. He replied that he generally only played it on the Eastern side of the country!

Think a lot of the pidgeon-holing is very subjective and stems from where and when we first heard the type of track which could be called x-over.

(Haven't followed the whole thread so apologies if repeating anything that has already been said :lol: )

Careful with the use of the word funk though mate...theres some on the scene will suddenly go off any track which is described by the F word LOL! Same principle as the Wigan diehards who "don't like RnB" but dance their arses off to "That Driving Beat" :thumbsup:wink.gif

I'll shut up now! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Last time i heard Willy J & co out it was spun by that floppy haired Maverick Dave Thorely to great acclaim and even people asking what the F** is this :thumbsup: but i have heard Sam spin it as well not too long ago

Jean Le Trout

Social source share

Last time i heard Willy J & co out it was spun by that floppy haired Maverick Dave Thorely to great acclaim and even people asking what the F** is this :thumbsup: but i have heard Sam spin it as well not too long ago

Jean Le Trout

link

I remixed/re-edited it (Willy J) a few years back, which may call for a little derision on this specific board, I don't know.

I've also re-constructed Ivan Neville -'Dance Your Blues Away' and Flame 'n' King - 'Ho Happy Day', which I think I only gave to Alan Barnes on the Northern Scene, who played 'em I believe, so they can't have been too 'housey' for consumption.

I started, a while back and still haven't finished King Tutt and am at present having a crack at The Controllers - 'Stay'.

I grew up on the Northern/Soul/Disco/Funk scenes, so have a sympathetic ear I like to think - I didn't bastardise any of 'em.

Edited by Hottwaxx
Social source share

Alan likes a bit of the banging stuff though :lol: Not that i'm saying that they are mind not having heard either :thumbsup::thumbsup:

John

link

I used to have 'em up on our site - I'll put 'em back up, I never really got a Soulie's view of them apart from Alans.

I did them with a nod to my past and specifically for use at our "ON HUBERT STREET!" nights.

Social source share

Has no-one mentioned the just brothers - go on and laugh yet? Come on boys and girls! Got to be one of the classiest 'crossover' soul records ever to grace the scene?

Social source share

I remixed/re-edited it (Willy J) a few years back, which may call for a little derision on this specific board, I don't know.

I've also re-constructed Ivan Neville -'Dance Your Blues Away' and Flame 'n' King - 'Ho Happy Day', which I think I only gave to Alan Barnes on the Northern Scene, who played 'em I believe, so they can't have been too 'housey' for consumption.

I started, a while back and still haven't finished King Tutt and am at present having a crack at The Controllers - 'Stay'.

I grew up on the Northern/Soul/Disco/Funk scenes, so have a sympathetic ear I like to think - I didn't bastardise any of 'em.

link

Heard Alan play that remix of Ho Happy Day a while back, quite good says memory, like to hear what you did to willie j

you should be able to throw stuff up in sounds section if needed

mike

Social source share

Heard Alan play that remix of Ho Happy Day a while back, quite good says memory,   like to hear what you did to willie j

you should be able to throw stuff up in sounds section if needed

mike

link

The only problem we had with the Willi J was the bass riff at one point ran over a snare drum, which we wanted to loop, so we got a bass player in to try and recreate the riff - two different guitarists said that whoever the original bass player was either had seven fingers or one 9 inch middle finger, hehe!!

I'll try and find it.

Edited by Hottwaxx
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert