Edwin Starr - You're My Mellow - Recording Session Info Please

Hi everyone

I'm looking for info on the recording session for Edwin Starr's - You're My Mellow (Ric-Tic #120) please.

I know there's something on one of those Goldmine Detroit CDs - but haven't found it yet.

Would be good to know the studio, date, and who the session players were please - if anyone has any info.

Who was the drummer? One of the best drumming sessions in the entire history of Detroit music - period!  :yes:

Cheers

Richard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGqjH4E9w3Q

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

C'mon Soul-Sourcers - someone must know something about this session.

What else was recorded at the same time?

I'm sure I remember reading something somewhere about how Edwin did not do that many sessions for his Ric-Tic songs and so all his top records were done in just two or three sessions  :thumbsup: 

Hey, Robb K - where are you when I need you  :D  Can you identify and of the main Detroit players on this one - especially the drums please? 

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Entry in Don't Forget The Motor City :-

You're My Mellow (Al Hamilton-Richard Morris-Jimmy Barnes) publ. Myto/Jobete

Edwin Starr; recorded GW ; produced by Al Kent, Richard Morris ; arranged by Joe Hunter

Jan-67; 45 (M): Ric Tic RT-120 A

Didn't Golden World studios usually employ the Funk Bros for their sessions?. Having said that the drumming style ( rolls right round the kit ) is unusual but great. 
Edited by autumnstoned
Social source share

Drummer is def. George McGregor, baritone sax is Mike Terry (who else !), bass is Bob Babbitt, keys are probably Joe (Hunter) guitars are probably between Dennis Coffey, Don Davis, Eddie Willis and Robert White. Girls sound like Pat and Diane Lewis, but it could be Elsie, Joyce and Dorothy (Debonaires). There is a slightly different mix to the song that features Edwin ad libbing at the start and a more prominent part for the baritone in the mix.

Recorded at either United Sound Studios or Theme Productions because Berry had taken over the Davison address by then.

Edited by Rob Moss
Social source share

Drummer is def. George McGregor, baritone sax is Mike Terry (who else !), bass is Bob Babbitt, keys are probably Joe (Hunter) guitars are probably between Dennis Coffey, Don Davis, Eddie Willis and Robert White. Girls sound like Pat and Diane Lewis, but it could be Elsie, Joyce and Dorothy (Debonaires). There is a slightly different mix to the song that features Edwin ad libbing at the start and a more prominent part for the baritone in the mix.

That's interesting as i've never heard of this drummer before. A google search brings up a thread in Soulful Detroit in which he says he drummed on 00 Soul and other Ric Tic releases All Turned On/ I'm satisfied . Learn something new everyday  :)

Seems as though he was a member of the Don Davis Trio too. He's on the right in the picture.

post-19579-0-06166100-1370381085_thumb.j

Edited by autumnstoned
Social source share

George McGregor is on hundreds of Detroit records including many Ric Tic, Golden World recordings, Thelma Records, Topper, Sidra (Musical director) et al. His style is distinctive by how 'busy' he is. His musical background was in a marching band. Brilliant producer and songwriter too. Was married to Barbara Mercerpost-1773-0-23627800-1370382593_thumb.jp

Edited by Rob Moss
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, George McGregor had an unique style.  He and Melvin Davis were the OTHER main Detroit drummers on Soul sessions other than Pistol Allen, Benny Benjamin and Uriel Jones.  They were independent session players who bounced around recording for almost all the non-Motown producers.  He was quite a good songwriter as well.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert