'60S Acetate - Please Help Identify The Artist

Guest trainrec

Guest trainrec

I haven't been able to find any information about this track.  The label lists the title as "Lover, Won't You Say You're Coming Home" and mentions Tom Baird as the writer.  There's also a Vancouver address.  Could this be a pre Motown Tom Baird production?  Ay idea who the artist could be?  Go easy on me if this is a well known Supremes song or something.  Thanks in advance.

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Sounds like about 1966.  It might well be a pre-Motown Tom Baird production.  There must be someone from Vancouver who knows about his pre-Motown career.  I know he was producing records.  I didn't know they were as typically Soul-style as this.  Maybe it's known with which groups he worked.

Social source share

Vancouver’s Motown Connection

bobbytaylor.jpg

Bobby Taylor and The Vancouvers

Vancouver, British Columbia and Detroit , Michigan are half a continent apart, but the two cities share an interesting music business connection.  See all CANADA Pages

The CFUN Classics were a top-tier Vancouver R & B band during the early 1960s (see PNWBands). Following their break-up, around 1966, their talented producer arranger keyboard saxman, Tom Baird, chose to ply his trade elsewhere, eventually winding up in the Motor City, where he became a staff producer at Motown Records.  Notably linked with the cross-over radio success of blue-eyed soul band Rare Earth, he was a rising star in the Motown firmament, successfully surviving the company’s relocation from Detroit to Los Angeles, California.

But Baird died in the early 1970s, mysteriously falling overboard from his yacht off Catalina Island. Nevertheless, the Vancouver/Detroit axis carried on through Motown’s 1968 signing of  Bobby Taylor and the Vancouvers.  The group had been performing at the Elegant Parlour on Davie Street, when Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong (minus Ms. Ross) dropped by after hours during the Supremes’ week-long engagement at the Cave Supper Clup. Their timely endorsement led directly to the band’s first hit single, “Does Your Mama Know About Me,” composed by rhythm guitar-man Tommy Chong,

B.C. bass-man Dennis Marcenko (k.d. lang, Colin James) recalled visiting Motown Records Hitsville Museum while on tour in the early 1990s. “There was a plaque on the wall,” he said, “honouring Motown Records Employee of the Month . . . Robbie King.“

Edited by 123-motown
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

nice happy go lucky motownish feel good dancer, hope you find the answer, or find a nice computer programe to clean up the crackles and would be worthy of a release.

good luck nice find

Social source share

I haven't been able to find any information about this track.  The label lists the title as "Lover, Won't You Say You're Coming Home" and mentions Tom Baird as the writer.  There's also a Vancouver address.  Could this be a pre Motown Tom Baird production?  Ay idea who the artist could be?  Go easy on me if this is a well known Supremes song or something.  Thanks in advance.

LOVER WON T YOU SAY YOU RE COM (Legal Title)   BMI Work #931102 Songwriter/Composer Current Affiliation CAE/IPI # BAIRD TOM ASCAP 33836093

It does seem to have been written by Tom Baird.

It could be anyone, but my guess is that it's a demo done by Joani Taylor of Vancouver  as a teenager.

Social source share

Guest trainrec

Thanks very much for the replies!

Simon, I decided to act on your hunch.  I sent an email to Ms. Taylor with a link to the song.  She kindly replied and said that it was not her.  She did, however, have some very nice things to say about Tom Baird.  

Social source share

Thanks very much for the replies!

Simon, I decided to act on your hunch.  I sent an email to Ms. Taylor with a link to the song.  She kindly replied and said that it was not her.  She did, however, have some very nice things to say about Tom Baird.  

Never-mind, let us know if you ever find out who it is.

Social source share

LOVER WON T YOU SAY YOU RE COM (Legal Title)   BMI Work #931102 Songwriter/Composer Current Affiliation CAE/IPI # BAIRD TOM ASCAP 33836093

It does seem to have been written by Tom Baird.

It could be anyone, but my guess is that it's a demo done by Joani Taylor of Vancouver  as a teenager.

WOW!,...THATS A GREAT TUNE!, it certainly don't conform...that instro break is totally unexpected in its structure...you need to follow some timely advice here and get it cleaned up, do a lot of research, find out who it is and get it heard by a wider audience...it may initially be a bit simplistic for some but there are plenty with  an adept ear who'll nod in appreciation to this instantly. :thumbsup:

Edited by AGENTSMITH
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert