The New Wanderers

Certainly Ray Pollard wasn't part of it, nor was Bob Yarborough, Ray went off to sing with Hector Rivera and Joe Cuba's bands and very little is known about the New Wanderers as far as I can tell. Theres an earlier thread on this very subject that also drew a blank but did ask if there was an Hispanic connection to the N.W and that certainly seems feasible given the writer credits but I think we are in for another of those frustrating little known about them moments!

Edited by TheBigO
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

The Wanderers started way back (I believe in the late 1940s (1948?).  Ray Pollard joined them late in their run, (1956).  They recorded for Savoy Records/  They moved to Onyx Records in 1957, and had a minor hit.  Then, Onyx was bought out by MGM, and evolved from MGM subsidiary, Orbit Records, to Cub Records.  The Wanderers were moved to the parent label, and then signed with United Artists in 1964.  Pollard left them, and went solo.  Then went to Shrine.  As far as I know, The Wanderers broke up then (1964 or 1965?).  Then, The New Wanderers appeared.   Maybe a couple of their members came from Spanish Harlem.  Maybe Pollard, himself did, and that's why he had a connection to Latin Soul.  But, from the names of the original Wanderers, I would guess that NONE of them had Puerto Rican roots.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!