"dial L For Lonely" Pressing On Capitol -Boot Or Legit Pick Up Of Samar

Robbk

I have recently seen a Capitol 5969 on You Tube playing the Samar cut.  Interestingly enough, it lists Chicago's Phil Wright as arranger (but was really arranged by Bert DeCoteaux in New York), and lists Chicago's Carone Productions.  But the record looks like a genuine Capitol pressing from the late '60s.  I picked up the Samar release in the late '60s.  I certainly know it was a New York production.  It was written by East Coast writer, Bob Stone.  They also changed the writers to 2 people (albeit New Yorkers).  In ALL my years of record scrounging, never saw the Capitol.  Is it a British Bootleg? -made during the time that record was still "covered up" on The Northern Scene?

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

I have recently seen a Capitol 5969 on You Tube playing the Samar cut.  Interestingly enough, it lists Chicago's Phil Wright as arranger (but was really arranged by Bert DeCoteaux in New York), and lists Chicago's Carone Productions.  But the record looks like a genuine Capitol pressing from the late '60s.  I picked up the Samar release in the late '60s, and in ALL my years of record scrounging, never saw the Capitol.  Is it a British Bootleg?

No, it was never booted Robb.

Maybe it's Canadian Capitol?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes, now I realise that Capitol never used that typeface.  Why would anyone do that?  They could have taken a screen shot of the Samar record (several of which are on The Internet.  I should have recognised Capitol 5969.  That's one of my favourites.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!