Al Kent - Or Not Al Kent

Pete S

Nice One Robb

Jackie Wilson was a big influence - as much as Sam Cooke

Actually, Kent's version was released in 1959. and Wilson's in 1960.  I've seen this song listed as being written by Al Hamilton on some records, and by Bob Hamilton on others.  On some of Jackie Wilson's issues, the name reads "Bob Hamilton" and on others, it reads just "Hamilton".  In several biographies of Al Kent, he. himself is stated to be the songwriter. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think Berry Gordy had a lot to do with the demise of Eddie Holland's performing career has he was more valuable to Motown as a writer/producer and arranger and probably earned more money doing the latter.

Maybe this was the case with Al Kent, Wingate was a real hard ass business man, let's not forget he put the lead singer of the Holidays on gardening leave, replacing him with Edwin on "I'll Love you Forever".

Lou Beatty did the same on "Thank You Mother" (Mary Jane) the song was originally intended for Nelson Sanders, but Beatty's wife thought it suited Edward Hamilton better so to save a domestic Edward got the nod.

Dave

I don't remember Eddie Holland doing much arranging at Motown.  The main arrangers in 1964, when Holland was convinced to stop his singing career, were:  Johnny Allen, Joe Hunter, Hank Cosby and a few others.  Eddie was mainly a songwriter and producer.

Social source share

Actually, Kent's version was released in 1959. and Wilson's in 1960.  I've seen this song listed as being written by Al Hamilton on some records, and by Bob Hamilton on others.  On some of Jackie Wilson's issues, the name reads "Bob Hamilton" and on others, it reads just "Hamilton".  In several biographies of Al Kent, he. himself is stated to be the songwriter. 

Keep 'em coming Mate,

Lot's of skulldugerry around in them days, folks stealing other peoples songs, rip off royalties.

He owe's me this and he owes me that.

It does appear that AL KENT was a bit of an underrated artist in more ways than 1. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Keep 'em coming Mate,

Lot's of skulldugerry around in them days, folks stealing other peoples songs, rip off royalties.

He owe's me this and he owes me that.

It does appear that AL KENT was a bit of an underrated artist in more ways than 1. :thumbsup:

That's very true.  But, in this case, the two writers in question were 2 brothers, who worked together and always had a good relationship (never had a falling out).  So, it was an error by a printer or record label personnel. 

Social source share

A BMI search by me revealed that Bob Hamilton was, indeed the original writer, rather than Al Hamilton (who first sang it on a released record), and, it seems that Detroiter, Tom King was added later.  It could be that King originally helped Hamilton with the writing and was angered by his being left off the credits and was added later, or that Bob Hamilton needed money later, and sold half his writer interest in that song to King for cash. 

Tom King was a well-known Detroit R&B/Soul songwriter from the late '50s into the early '70s.  Like almost all other prolific musicians, songwriters, arrangers and producers working out of Detroit during that period, he also worked at Motown for awhile, as did both Bob and Al Hamilton.  Not sure if Eugene Hamilton (Ronnie Savoy ever worked for Motown.  I've never seen any evidence that he did.  The latter may have been working exclusively in New York during Motown's heyday, other than the year or so he worked with Wingate's labels.

I wonder if Tom King was any relation to Maurice King, who was a well-respected piano player, band leader and arranger in Detroit throughout the 1950s, and who was instrumental in developing Motown into the dominant independent Soul music label in the '60s, as piano player and director of Motown's artist development school.

Edited by RobbK
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!