My Playlist ( If I Were A Dj )

Bazza

If the tunes I listed dont get you moving,I think there must be some thing wrong with you,only reasons I can think off

1, your from "darn sarf" and dont really know what you're on about :P

2, your ears are clogged up :P

3, your allready dead :D

but then again thats why I aint a DJ

Bazza

Bazza, the people from darn sarf have been the saviours of the scene. The 100 club is still considered to be the no.1 allnighter in the country. Those records on your playlist, well some of em, are classics. But just how many times can you get excited about hearing them. Come on don't you want to hear something and say, WOW WHAT WAS THAT, I MUST FIND OUT. That's what it's all about to me, and always has been.

Social source share

• Replies 76
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Bazza,

I first asked about if you owned the records or not, that was just me being nosey. Anyway I believe you chose records that you like and that you think would go down well at venues that you have attended. The problem is that it wouldn't matter what records you'd chosen you still wouldn't please everyone. :P

I'll tell you something though, that DJing lark isn't as easy as you think. I've had a couple of stabs at it at my own do, and to be honest I wish I had more records to choose from than what I do. :P

Social source share

Bazza, the people from darn sarf have been the saviours of the scene. The 100 club is still considered to be the no.1 allnighter in the country. Those records on your playlist, well some of em, are classics. But just how many times can you get excited about hearing them. Come on don't you want to hear something and say, WOW WHAT WAS THAT, I MUST FIND OUT. That's what it's all about to me, and always has been.

Give over ,not called northern soul for nothing :P but seriously I woud'nt have said these four tunes where played out over the hill tunes

FALCONS - LOVE LOOK IN HER EYES

VITO & THE SALUTATIONS - I'D BEST BE GOING

ROY HAMILTON - SHE MAKES ME WANNA DANCE

BARRET STRONG - I BETTER RUN

could be wrong though...

Bazza

Social source share

Bazza, Those records on your playlist, well some of em, are classics.

Took this from an online dictionary :P :

classic

noun

a piece of writing, a musical recording or a film which is well-known and of a high standard and lasting value:

Jane Austen's 'Pride and Prejudice' is a classic of English literature.

Many of the Rolling Stones' records have become rock classics.

Social source share

Well said that man! :P That IS what it's all about! Never heard Bob & Gene "Sailboat" 'til I checked out Jumpin' Joans uploads. (cheers Joan!) Nicked it strait away for the old iPod! :P Feckin' awsome, CLASS record! Hearing something NEW to your ears just blows you away, and long may it be so! I put up an 'oldies' list just for illustrative purposes, but it's new stuff, or new to me, that floats my (sail)boat! :DSailboat.mp3 Pisses all over any mouldy, tired, played out oldie! May clear the floor in Bazza's neck 'o' the woods tho' :D

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Loads of five, ten and twenty quiders out there to go at.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Totally agree but aside from the odd one between £1K rarities(to show that they like cheap records as well), no-one who is considered a big name DJ plays them.

Social source share

I'll tell you something though, that DJing lark isn't as easy as you think. I've had a couple of stabs at it at my own do, and to be honest I wish I had more records to choose from than what I do. :P

Social source share

There's 11 tunes in Trevskys set that I'd be up dancing to. I would have gone home half way through the other set. :P

Perhaps Bazza would have been pleased to see you go!

I'm actually not keen on the three tunes that you have picked out. There's a few people on this site that have got a problem with the price of records. I don't set the prices of records, but if I like something enough, I'll buy it if I can. I keep saying this, if you can send me a tape/CD with cheap records on, that are as good as the big ticket rarities then please do so. I'd love to hear them.

What's this... an audition?

Social source share

Well said that man! :P That IS what it's all about! Never heard Bob & Gene "Sailboat" 'til I checked out Jumpin' Joans uploads. (cheers Joan!) Nicked it strait away for the old iPod! :P Feckin' awsome, CLASS record! Hearing something NEW to your ears just blows you away, and long may it be so! I put up an 'oldies' list just for illustrative purposes, but it's new stuff, or new to me, that floats my (sail)boat! :DSailboat.mp3 Pisses all over any mouldy, tired, played out oldie! May clear the floor in Bazza's neck 'o' the woods tho' :D

Its a nice tune to listen too,and yes your right it would clear the floor,as far as dancing to it ,no it would never happen,musically its beat is all over the place

Bazza :D

Social source share

I think you've got three types of soulies that go to Do's

1.the listener,likes a drink likes to listen to newies more than old over played stuff

2. the dancer ,dances all night likes newies and old standard stuff

3, the ones that only dance in the last hour had a few beer's only dances to the old over played stuff

if you can please all three, you've cracked it

Bazza

I'm one of those dancers (3,) that need a few drinks in her first, but not to dance to overplayed stuff, just to dance :P .

when i saw this topic, I thought it was to post your ideal dj set - not necessarily records you owned, as it was focused towards "if you were a dj" (-hence I would expect that "one offs" & similar would be excluded). So I'm not sure why it turned into about what you own (and to be honest, I own many of my favourite records, but I doubt many would be interested in my ideal list :D )

Maybe I read it wrong or I'm just grumpy for getting up too early - but although Trevski's set (particularly the 2nd half) would be my choice over Bazza's - I think the guy was rather brave to post his set up and some of you "that's overplayed" and "lots of good cheap records out there" moaners, should wear SOUL POLICE tee-shirts :D .

...Can't we play nasty&nice by just talking about what actual records are great or crap?

It's just that I've met quite a few people who confess that they don't post much on lists because they fear attack - so I get a bit sensitive about this now and then :P

m

ps. Construction = big poo poo

Social source share

I'm one of those dancers (3,) that need a few drinks in her first, but not to dance to overplayed stuff, just to dance :P .

when i saw this topic, I thought it was to post your ideal dj set - not necessarily records you owned, as it was focused towards "if you were a dj" (-hence I would expect that "one offs" & similar would be excluded). So I'm not sure why it turned into about what you own (and to be honest, I own many of my favourite records, but I doubt many would be interested in my ideal list :P )

Maybe I read it wrong or I'm just grumpy for getting up too early - but although Trevski's set (particularly the 2nd half) would be my choice over Bazza's - I think the guy was rather brave to post his set up and some of you "that's overplayed" and "lots of good cheap records out there" moaners, should wear SOUL POLICE tee-shirts :D .

...Can't we play nasty&nice by just talking about what actual records are great or crap?

It's just that I've met quite a few people who confess that they don't post much on lists because they fear attack - so I get a bit sensitive about this now and then :D

m

ps. Construction = big poo poo

Quite right Maria, it was about an 'Ideal set" as Bazza said, "This is what I would play" (If I had 'em and I was a DJ) I put up what I considered an alternative set, that I would prefer to hear, over Bazza's choices, which IMVHO were tired, and overplayed. Price didn't come into it, just the QUALITY of the tunes, and the fact that they wern't hammered as much, again IMHO. As I illustrated later, I would prefer to hear new, (to me) tunes, e.g. "Sailboat" Bob & Gene, which, acording to JM's guide, you could by 2 of for the price of 1 Pat & the Blenders, or 5 if you take the rarer one! I recon it's a fairly cheap record, by comparison, but as I said, I chose by quality, and what I like, before price. And contrary to Bazza's post, I could dance to it, if only someone had the bottle/taste, to play it! You giving it an outing Joan? Sure you will! :D

Social source share

I picked this list because I know they go down well in most of the venues I visit in the Notts and surrounding areas

If I was doing a spot at the Attic I would have picked a completly different list,or if I was at the Orwell playing "tent music what ever that is " different list again,I think you have to know the venue,if you dont ,then you're on to a looser

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

I do the occassional spot but I'm a collector, not a DJ. If I was asked to do a spot tonight I'd play the following (all originals in my collection).

Joe Douglas - Crazy Things - Playhouse

Honey Bees - Let's Get Back Together - Garrison Demo

Barbara Jean & Lyrics - Why Weren't You There - Big Hit

Little Dooley - If Ever I Needed You - Ko Ko Demo

Big Don's Rebellion - It Was True - Ethon Demo

Tony Clarke - A Wrong Man - M-S

The Metrics - Wishes - Chadwick

Reatha Reese - Only Lies - Dot

Monique - If You Love Me (Show Me) - Maurci

Falcons - Love Look In Her Eyes - Big Wheel

Cynthia & Imaginary 3 - That's What I Am (Without You) - Big Hit

Vondells - Hey Girl You've Changed - Airtown Custom

Soundmasters - Lonely, Lonely - Julet

Vandalettes - A Love Of Mine - Mellow Town

Lost Soul - Secret Of Mine - Raven

Ster-Phonics - Don't Leave Me - Mas-Tok

Delettes - Look At Me - Blue Rock

Fabulous Apollos - The One Alone - Valtone Demo

Soul Set - Will You Ever Learn - Bi-Me

Spiedels - Dream Girl - Providence Demo

Conquistadors - Sadness & Madness - Signett

Soul Communicators - Those Lonely Nights - Fee Bee

Louis Curry - You're Just Plain Nice - Reel

Houston Outlaws - Ain't No Telling - Westbound Demo

Ed Simpson - Pinch Hitter - Gold Future

Belita Woods - That's When I'll Stop Loving You - Moira

:P

Social source share

I do the occassional spot but I'm a collector, not a DJ. If I was asked to do a spot tonight I'd play the following (all originals in my collection).

Joe Douglas - Crazy Things - Playhouse

Barbara Jean & Lyrics - Why Weren't You There - Big Hit

The Metrics - Wishes - Chadwick

Great set of tunes, would have me buzzin,but I dare say some of the tunes will get the "played out" same old same old ,boys moanin

Bazza

BTW love that Falcons tune

Edited by bazza
Social source share

Joe Douglas - Crazy Things - Playhouse :P

Barbara Jean & Lyrics - Why Weren't You There - Big Hit QUALITY :P

The Metrics – Wishes - Chadwick

:D

Nice :D Alto' Joe Douglas :D Hate those lyrics! "turn the TV on, and talk" what the F**k's crazy about that???! :D And I'd flip the Delettes for the superior, IMHO "What's the use" but other than that, a fine set, that would go down well in my neck 'o' the woods! Tony, York, and Mr Bird Hull, take note for future bookings! :D

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Great set of tunes, would have me buzzin,but I dare say some of the tunes will get the "played out" same old same old ,boys moanin

Bazza

You'll never please everybody !

I try to play a mixture of oldies and different tunes to try and strike a balance between giving the 'Chin Strokers' something to enjoy but also trying to please the dancefloor. Some nights it's easy but other nights it's very hard. Just depends on the atmosphere and whether people are up for it or not.

Social source share

You'll never please everybody !

I try to play a mixture of oldies and different tunes to try and strike a balance between giving the 'Chin Strokers' something to enjoy but also trying to please the dancefloor. Some nights it's easy but other nights it's very hard. Just depends on the atmosphere and whether people are up for it or not.

Well , beats me ,if I had put the tunes below in my list ,would have been accused of played out safe stuff

:P Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

Well , beats me if I had put the tunes below in my list ,would have been accused of played out safe stuff

Can sort of agree about Lost Soul and Houston Outlaws but surely the Conquistadors couldn't be considered played out...............I only ever hear it when I play it............but maybe that just highlights that the current plays aren't all the same region by region. So something played alot in the Northwest might rarely get played in the East Midlands ?

Social source share

Well , beats me if I had put the tunes below in my list ,would have been accused of played out safe stuff

Conquistadores hardly safe, IMHO, not heard a great deal, in comparison to others listed. I sometimes played the flip, "Lonely was I" but can't recall last time I heard it out. Others are fairly safe, especialy Lost Soul, but the general playlist was a good blend, of safe and underplayed :P Have to have SOME safe stuff, as a DJ (speaking from experience) To pull 'em back on the floor if something you tried didn't work, but you got to TRY, and keep on tryin' to break/reactivate more inventive stuff! :D

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Can sort of agree about Lost Soul and Houston Outlaws but surely the Conquistadors couldn't be considered played out...............I only ever hear it when I play it............but maybe that just highlights that the current plays aren't all the same region by region. So something played alot in the Northwest might rarely get played in the East Midlands ?

Absolutley correct Pete,tried to make this point earlier

Bazza

Social source share

There's 11 tunes in Trevskys set that I'd be up dancing to. I would have gone home half way through the other set. :( I'm actually not keen on the three tunes that you have picked out. There's a few people on this site that have got a problem with the price of records. I don't set the prices of records, but if I like something enough, I'll buy it if I can. I keep saying this, if you can send me a tape/CD with cheap records on, that are as good as the big ticket rarities then please do so. I'd love to hear them.

If you have the money anyone can put a set together with big ticket indemanders. There are far more better quality records at the cheap end of the scale than the other end IMHO. Dunno why some feel that to get on you have to have a play box worth £1000's and £1000's.

There's very little imagination or skill involved in playing big ticket indemander after big ticket indemander. I'd much sooner hear a set with records under say a ton put together with thought, imagination and a bit of skill than someone knocking out expensive (often over priced) big ticket indemanders, many of them shite but get played cause they cost a fortune :lol:

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Well , beats me ,if I had put the tunes below in my list ,would have been accused of played out safe stuff

:lol: Bazza

The Falcons is class :( Lost Soul touch on safe side as does get plenty of spins and Houston Outlaws definately on the safe side and would say verging on the over played.

Conquistadors far from safe, hardly hear it played out.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

hi , Bazza, thanks for the mention earlier about The Attic. It's so hard to get the blend right when behind the decks.You start with a set in mind then a few sherry's later........Anyway i agree with the point you were making,,some clubs and punters suit different music, got nothing against oldies but there must be 100,000 sounds out there and not all expensive or ultra rare..Kev.

Social source share

Its a nice tune to listen too,and yes your right it would clear the floor,as far as dancing to it ,no it would never happen,musically its beat is all over the place

Bazza :(

:lol::(

I've had absolutely no problem dancing to this when i've heard it played out.... the beat's fine... it's me that's all over the place!! :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert