Bowie soul influences

Guest ba608

Wondering if any soul experts out there could help! Currently obsessed with Bowie's Y Americans album, have read that at the time he had an obsession with soul music. Does anyone know what sort of artists he would have been most into, who would have had the biggest influence on the album? Although nothing is going to be 'similar' to a bowie album, I want to find some soul music with similar funky vibes.

Social source share

I would of thought it was the Philly sound from that period - it is recorded in the 'home' of that sound - Sigma.  However, always thought it was strange then and still do that only Larry Washington on conga's from the usual session musicians is on the record.  All sorts of 'outside' artists would record in Sigma and get the full Philly treatment but not this one.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I've got some really stunning outtakes from the Young Americans album if anyone wants to hear them.  Alternative versions, early mixes and so on.

They also cut the best track from the original album to make way for the dreadful version of Across The Universe - it's called It's Gonna Be Me.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I'd be keen to hear the outtakes you have please Pete. I know you've been a serious Bowie collector so suspect you have lots of interesting stuff. Seventies - early eighties Bowie was great but my favourite song will always be I'm Not Losing Sleep. It's been at the top of my non soul list for years. 

Social source share

I'm sure the Bowie/Jones of the mid 60s would have been aware of and influenced by the early soul scene in London back in the day, for sure he would have been checking out the likes of Georgie Fame at the Flamingo and US acts on tour....all well before his 70s Philly obsession. Correct me if I'm wrong as I'm a bit sketchy on pre- Oddity Bowie. What I'm trying to say (badly) is that surely his obsession with soul music wasn't a sudden fad, it would have been an integral part of his musical upbringing and timing and circumstances brought it  to the fore.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!