Fake Dynamics member?

There's a guy on Facebook by the name of Carnell Butler who claims to have joined the Dynamics in 1966.. Is this true? Doesn't seem to add up.. When did he come into the groups lineup? I'm curious

thanks.. 

Edited by MadLad
Social source share

The group had a 'slack period' between summer 64 and early 67 and their line-up changed (3 new members) between summer 66 & summer 67.

In 1965 / early 66 they were on Top Ten. Is their line-up in that period known ?

If this guy was a member for a short period (before they landed their RCA deal), then I guess he COULD be telling the truth. Their membership is well documented from when they landed their RCA deal (summer to fall 66 ??).

Dynamics65.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, WoodButcher said:

And judging from his connections both on the scene in the U.K. and in Detroit I would think he'd have been outed years ago if he was a charlatan ... :g:

After chatting with him nothing adds up...  I'll explain in a message 

Social source share

4 hours ago, WoodButcher said:

Best you start waging war on him on Facebook then Mr Thomas  , I'm sure a 25y.o. from Oregon must have a better recollection and knowledge of the subject than him and should have no problem getting him tarred and feathered ... have fun with that ... :sleep3:

Whatever man... I just hate seeing people take credit for stuff they didn't actually do. I mean look at it this way.. When people interview a fake group member  false info is taken down and can be put into books/articles and  the history gets down wrong. It's just not right.. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest corney seany

Carnell Silver Butler is the lead on The Cotillion album and singles.

That group was the organic form of the original group line up formed in late 50s.

The original lead died.

Spoke and messaged Carnell on numerous occasions.

The group he leads with Fred is the legal group lineup. They are entitled to sing all The Dynamics songs. The real Dynamics anyway.

I'm sure the original post about his integrity was not intended with offense but it's wrong. Carnell will take great offense and upset at this. He's a talented and sensitive man.

The Cotillion album has great artistic merit. As a performer he will deliver.

We must remember that we can cause upset by posting on social media. He's on the album cover which is a big clue.

Social source share

The LP cover ....... 

Discogs has the info off the sleeve which gives the group line-up on the album as 

• The Dynamics are Fred "Sonny" Baker, George White, Samuel Stevenson & Zerben Hicks

• Another site states .... Isaac "Zeke" Harris, George White, Fred Baker, and Samuel Stevenson were the Dynamics. (Zerben R. Hicks also sang with them but left shortly after their album release.)

• DynamicsLP.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

16 hours ago, corney seany said:

Carnell Silver Butler is the lead on The Cotillion album and singles.

That group was the organic form of the original group line up formed in late 50s.

The original lead died.

Spoke and messaged Carnell on numerous occasions.

The group he leads with Fred is the legal group lineup. They are entitled to sing all The Dynamics songs. The real Dynamics anyway.

I'm sure the original post about his integrity was not intended with offense but it's wrong. Carnell will take great offense and upset at this. He's a talented and sensitive man.

The Cotillion album has great artistic merit. As a performer he will deliver.

We must remember that we can cause upset by posting on social media. He's on the album cover which is a big clue.

Hey man.. The guy lied to you.. That's not him on those records and not him on any the covers either. Roburt posted the correct lineup above of the recording group members.  I've been In touch with original Dynamic Fred "Sonny" Baker and he  confirmed to me that nobody by the name of Carnell Butler ever sang with them... Carnell joined Ernest Fudge group of Dynamics in the 90s.. 

Social source share

Just to muddy the waters a bit, Discogs has someone called Thomas "Skip" Winburn as a member of the group.

Edit.

On further investigation It looks like Winburn replaced Samuel Stevenson somewhere between First Landing LP for Cotillion and What A Shame LP for Black Gold.

Edited by Kegsy
Social source share

I would also add that neither the recent Pied Piper CD from Ace nor the Soul Harmony Book from a few years back - and also McGrath's Soul Discography - makes any mention of anyone called Carnell Silver Butler in The Dynamics. I have no doubt he sings with a current line-up of The Dynamics but he certainly didn't seem to in the sixties and seventies.....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, Roburt said:

Kegsy, you always muddy the water !!! (marked you down above to stop you becoming a Supersoulstar).

4 hours ago, WoodButcher said:

Too late for that , he's already got "Ultrasoul" status , well above a mere Supersoulstar ... :D

3 hours ago, Roburt said:

Surely, he can't have .....

....... DECIMATED !!!!  .... DESOLATED ....... DESECRATED .... DESICCATED ....... DESCANTATED .... and .... DEPRECIATED !!

Kinnel all of a sudden this tread is about l'il old me, believe me I never sang with the Dynamics, although Ain't No Sun on Cotillion was one of the first tunes I ever bought as a raw youth.

Social source share

As far as I've been able to piece together from research.

Original Dynamics on Big Top/Dynamic/Reprise/Top Ten/Laurie

Fred "Sonny" Baker, Sterling "Starling" Schafer, Lorenzo Campbell, Samuel Stevenson, George White.

Dynamics on RCA

Fred Baker, Zeke Harris, Lorenzo Campbell, Samuel Stevenson, George White, Zerben Hicks

Dynamics on Cotillion

Fred Baker, Zerben Hicks, Samuel Stevenson, George White

Dynamics on Black Key/Columbia

Fred Baker, Thomas "Skip" Windburn, George White, Zerben Hicks.

Current Dynamics (uncertain how a group with no members from any recording period is legally the Dynamics in 2016?)

Fred Williams, Carnell Butler, Sonny James, Gregory Roberts

Edited by Kris Holmes
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

4 hours ago, lorchand said:

This is truly hilarious.  We (Pied Piper) had a group known as The Dynamics and I never heard of Carnell Silver Butler.  So let it be.  Let him earn whatever he can at this date.

Lorraine

Well, I reckon that puts the "Lights Out" on this particular debate.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I would imagine this is one of those situations where somebody has the rights to the group name and so can make the line up anyone they want. The group would still be "The Dynamics" in the legal sense even though the members m may not have sung on any of the original records. All IMHO, no knowledge of the actual situation claimed, just seen this sort of thing before.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!