Artists singing "I'm Gone" (Jack Ashford/Lorraine Chandler)

Guest Ole OKeh

Guest Ole OKeh

Hello, i'm sure this issue might have been discused more than once, but i could not not find any relared posts in the archives index.

Has someone ever listed how many known version of  "I'm Gone" (Jack Ashford/Lorraine Chandler) are existing?

I knew the versions by Eddie Parker and Billy Sha-Rae of this song,

but there must be at least one more version with a different (less powerful but very groovy!) groove as heard on a nighter.

The intro comes with a very harmonic brass section and the male singer is a real sophisticated one. The vocals are complete different in style compared

to Billy Sha-Rae or Eddie Parker.

Do you know what i heard? Is this might be another artist produced by Jack Ashford? Al Gardner maybe or Lee Rodgers (no idea)?

Compare: https://acerecords.co.uk/jack-ashford-just-productions

Are there any more versions of this song?  Would be pleased to read what there is to discover! Cheers, Ole

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Ole OKeh

Great, this can be added to list! Section: Same composition/song with different lyrics! Thanks for your contribution.

btw: The recording of "I'm Gone" described above shares exactly the same lyrics as the Eddie Parker/Billy Sha-Rae recordings.

In fact it's just a cover of the song (this arise the issue... which version came first?? both at the same time?)

Social source share

Guest Ole OKeh

Now, that's stunning to me. I found an explanation for this "chronological development" that makes sense.

Jack Ashford must have been a producer-like guy to THE HESITATIONS as he is co-author on 8 (of 12) tracks on SOUL SUPERMAN.

"Jack who had previously written songs with Lorraine Chandler, had brought her into Just Productions. She proved invaluable in all aspects of the business. This included helping Jack rework a track they had written for The Hesitations. That’s What Love Is became I’m Gone. Eddie Parker’s despairing vocal recorded using the backing track to That’s What Love Is. I’m Gone was then released by the Aware label, and would become a favourite on the Northern Soul scene during the seventies. By then, Jack and Eddie were still working together".

source:  https://dereksmusicblog.com/2016/04/08/jack-ashford-just-productions/

But i still have no clue, who recorded the third version of "I'm Gone" (slower that Eddie Parker, less aggressive vocals, tons of trombones in the intro-part).

Could it be done by a recent playing "Northern-Soul-Cover-Band" released a 7 inch? 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Ole OKeh said:

But i still have no clue, who recorded the third version of "I'm Gone" (slower that Eddie Parker, less aggressive vocals, tons of trombones in the intro-part).

Could it be done by a recent playing "Northern-Soul-Cover-Band" released a 7 inch? 

Probably this one here from a few years back:

Eldridge Gravy & The Court Supreme - I'm Gone - Emerald City

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert